RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Synapse Carbon Frame Issue - With pics

I have a 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3. Purchased new, never crashed.

Last week I was cleaning my bike, took off the rear tire to clean and put a new tire on and noticed what looked like a scratch. Then I looked closer and it looked like the something had happened to the carbon layering. Then I noticed it was on both sides of the chainstay.

Took it to local bike shop who sent it off to Cannondale for a possible warranty issue. Been more than a week now and have not heard anything back.

Anyone experience anything like this on their carbon Synapse?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Synapse Carbon Frame Issue-cannondale4.jpg   Synapse Carbon Frame Issue-cannondale2.jpg   Synapse Carbon Frame Issue-cannondale3.jpg   Synapse Carbon Frame Issue-cannondale-1.jpg  
    Last edited by mcwenzel; 1 Week Ago at 08:09 AM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like tire rub. What size tires are you running?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Michelin Pro 4 Service Course 25's on Hed Ardennes Black wheels.

Bike came with 28's I think. It's designed for up to 28's.

your god hates me
    The good news is, if it is some kind of carbon delaminating issue, Cannondale is pretty good about warranty replacement. Many years ago my wife discovered an odd looking "seam" in the toptube of her (then 1-year-old) Cannondale Synapse Carbon frame. Brought it back to the shop where we bought it, shop manager says "I'll show it to the Cannondale rep when he comes by next week. Rep comes by next week, takes one look, says "I'd be pretty upset if my new frame looked like that too."

Three days later my wife had a brand new frame. And this was after she'd been riding the bike for a year!

Never did find out what that "seam" was all about.

OP, the symmetry of those lines makes me think it's either an issue with the resin where the chainstays were plugged into the bottom bracket assembly ...OR, as tlg mentioned, tire rub.

I've seen a lot of carbon frames get a single line like that (on one side or the other) just from a tiny bit of glass or stone embedded in the tire tread scraping the frame for a few revolutions. But never seen a mirror-image pair on both sides like that before.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I've seen a lot of carbon frames get a single line like that (on one side or the other) just from a tiny bit of glass or stone embedded in the tire tread scraping the frame for a few revolutions. But never seen a mirror-image pair on both sides like that before.
    It's not a single line. If you enlarge the pics, you can see a large line and multiple smaller lines. Along with shiny areas where the tire was "polishing" the paint.

Last edited by tlg; 1 Week Ago at 12:13 PM.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Pics of tire clearance

Per the manual:

The actual measured size of a tire may be different than its sidewall marking. Each time you mount a new tire, take the time to inspect the actual clearance between the rotating tire and all parts of the frame. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) requires at least 1/16" (1.6mm) tire clearance from any part of the bike. Allowing for lateral rim flex and a wheel or rim that is out-of-true will likely mean choosing a rear tire that provides even more clearance than the CPSC recommends.

My quick measurement is at least 2.5 mm clearance on each side.

Synapse Carbon Frame Issue-cannondale-5.jpgSynapse Carbon Frame Issue-cannondale-6.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    It's tire rub, exact same thing happened to me but I found it before it went through the clearcoat. The little rubber pins on your tires are rubbing against the frame. If they are a bit dirty, it causes abrasion over time. Fixed it by cutting every rubber pin on any tire I mount on the back wheel.

Envoyé de mon XT1563 en utilisant Tapatalk