RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Is there a way to change the colour of SI Cranks?

Hi All
    I am wondering if there is a way to permanently change the colour of a pair of Cannondale Hollogram SI cranks from silver to black? I was thinking anodising? will this treatment damage the crankarms? It has been suggested to me that these hollow arms are "glued" together. What do you think, has anyone done this successfully?
    Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
    2011 Cannondale SuperSix nude carbon / white....love it.

Velocipediologist
    I researched it extensively. Communicated with (3) Forum members who anodized Hollowgrams and have over (3) years of use with no ill effects.
    Cannondale etches the (2) halves, bonds them together and then black anodizes them.
    For your cranks you will have to follow these steps;
    etch and then
    black anodize.
    And the bond holding your arms together will survive BOTH processes.
    I'm sure if your crank arms were hung in an etch tank for (24) hours the bond could be weakened, maybe not even then. Go look at the hinges on your car doors. They are most likely bonded to the uni-body.

California Anodizing | Metal Finishing | Ano-Tech Metal Finishing
    A member used this company with great results. I called and a guy named Brett answered. He said he runs large batches of parts for the bike industry. 90% of his business is black. He said his normal batch price is $45.00. I commented that he had done some cranks for a guy for $25.00.
    He replied, "sure, I can do it for $25.00". $25.00 is to hang them in the tank, etch them and then hang them in the black anodize tank. It won't get you any surface prep. But you shouldn't need any.

My research indicates that crank owners simply anodize the arms without performing any surface prep. The only exception would be if you had a set of cranks with deep gouges and or severe shoe rubs. In this case it would be advised to have them bead blasted or treated in a similar fashion to create a uniform looking surface. You could buff them with Scotchbrite to create a uniform surface. Everyone I spoke to stated their cranks have s slightly more dull black appearance when compared to the factory black.................but they look just fine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Brilliant stuff M2
    Unfortunately it will be a bit costly to use California Anodizing as I live in South Australia.
    However I will make some enquiry's here.
    I am building a Hollogram crankset but at present only have the Silver crank arks and a set of FSA chainrings. Where should I start to look for the best deal on the other parts required?
    Cheers and thanks from DownUnder.

Velocipediologist
    The arms are the expensive parts. You are pretty much done.
    The spindle and spider are inexpensive.

My Cannondale sources are;
    e-Bay / Craigslist / Cannondale Experts

Cannondale Experts | Parts, tools, + accessories for Cannondale - CannondaleExperts.com

Any Cannondale shop can get you all the small parts and pieces.