Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,963

    2016 Cervelo R3 Disc



    EB15: All-new Cervelo R3 Disc prepares for the races under MTN Qubeka, more

    Did he say 135mm rear hub?

    Are they stupid? Is the new standard not 142mm with 12mm thru axle?
    Everyone else is building 142mm yet they chose a custom dished crank and 135mm? This bike can't run Shimano cranks?

    And is that two different length chainstays? Tire clearance is also tight?
    You can't fit 28mm tires on this? Are you serious?

    They need better engineers, this is a disaster.

    edit: don't forget to read the comments in the bike rumor article.
    Last edited by MMsRepBike; 09-02-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    use a torque wrench

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,359
    In summary: "their philosophy about the dropout is that it’s too hard to do it the right way, so they’ll give you a bodge job solution, at Cervelo prices."

  3. #3
    apn
    apn is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    214
    I sure hope this isn't becoming a trend; first Spesh not willing to "compromise" their Tarmac (requires custom wheel w/ inboard cassette), and now Cervelo requiring a hacked chainset...

    I'm in the market for a carbon-framed, Di2 disc bike that adheres to the 12x142 TA standard. The only manufacturers that I see coming close in their 2016 models are Canyon and Scott.

    It's still early days yet, but other manufacturers seem to be hanging onto their QR product or playing the waiting game. I've looked at Trek (iirc, Domane = 15mm TA), Cannondale, Pinarello, Orbea, BMC, Specialized, De Rosa, Bianchi and maybe a few others and have yet to find the spec I want.

  4. #4
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,963
    Check out Focus.
    use a torque wrench

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    271
    After listening to the pitch, I'll simply say "nope".

  6. #6
    Bike broke
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    468
    Looks like the r3 disc might not happen. Major problems with the crank. There was a huge manufacturing error. They should of adopted to the standard.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by antihero77 View Post
    Looks like the r3 disc might not happen. Major problems with the crank. There was a huge manufacturing error. They should of adopted to the standard.

    do you have any more info about this? havent seen anything about it

  8. #8
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    205
    So its nearly halfway through its diet as they are definitely no lightweight bike straight off the shelf.

    So far:

    FSA Crank - Sram Red
    FSA SLK seatpost - 3T Team Stylus
    FSA SLK stem - 100mm 3T Team stealth (110mm 3T team in pic)
    FSA Handlebars - 3T Erganova team stealth
    FSA PF30 BB - Kogel ceramic
    Fizik saddle - Spech Power Pro
    Ultegra 11-25 cass - Dura-ace 11-28
    Conti tyres and tubes - Schwalbe One Pro tubeless with 25ml stans.

    In the next week when the rims arrive, as I just got the tracking #.

    Hed Ardennes GP+ wheelset - Nextie 38mm carbon tubeless, Tune King/Kong 100x12 142x12 hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes.
    Shimano 140mm freeza centrelock rotors - Sram 6 bolt Centreline 140's

    Down from ~8kg (with pedals, cages, garmin mount ect) to ~7.5kg, the wheelset and rotors will drop about 400g off it and bring it to about ~7.1kg

    Only thing left to swap now is the groupset...








    Cervelo R3 Disc
    Pivot Vault CX
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatbike

  9. #9
    Jack of no trades
    Reputation: Wood Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,555
    I'd like to see the S5 with discs.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    82
    How's the shifting with the SRAM cranks? Is shifting noticeably "sub-optimal"? Or, is it fine as long as you avoid x-chaining?

    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    So its nearly halfway through its diet as they are definitely no lightweight bike straight off the shelf.

    So far:

    FSA Crank - Sram Red
    FSA SLK seatpost - 3T Team Stylus
    FSA SLK stem - 100mm 3T Team stealth (110mm 3T team in pic)
    FSA Handlebars - 3T Erganova team stealth
    FSA PF30 BB - Kogel ceramic
    Fizik saddle - Spech Power Pro
    Ultegra 11-25 cass - Dura-ace 11-28
    Conti tyres and tubes - Schwalbe One Pro tubeless with 25ml stans.

    In the next week when the rims arrive, as I just got the tracking #.

    Hed Ardennes GP+ wheelset - Nextie 38mm carbon tubeless, Tune King/Kong 100x12 142x12 hubs and Sapim CX Ray spokes.
    Shimano 140mm freeza centrelock rotors - Sram 6 bolt Centreline 140's

    Down from ~8kg (with pedals, cages, garmin mount ect) to ~7.5kg, the wheelset and rotors will drop about 400g off it and bring it to about ~7.1kg

    Only thing left to swap now is the groupset...









  11. #11
    jta
    jta is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post


    EB15: All-new Cervelo R3 Disc prepares for the races under MTN Qubeka, more

    Did he say 135mm rear hub?

    Are they stupid? Is the new standard not 142mm with 12mm thru axle?
    Everyone else is building 142mm yet they chose a custom dished crank and 135mm? This bike can't run Shimano cranks?

    And is that two different length chainstays? Tire clearance is also tight?
    You can't fit 28mm tires on this? Are you serious?

    They need better engineers, this is a disaster.

    edit: don't forget to read the comments in the bike rumor article.
    Sorry digging up an old thread, but is the 135mm rear axle spacing still a problem, or has the industry adopted this standard as well? Also, Shimano seems to have addressed issues in chainline with the new DA 9100 and Ultegra 8000 group sets. It looks like I can pick up a 2016 R3 Disc on closeout, but was wondering if it will cause problems.

    Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

  12. #12
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    Sorry digging up an old thread, but is the 135mm rear axle spacing still a problem, or has the industry adopted this standard as well? Also, Shimano seems to have addressed issues in chainline with the new DA 9100 and Ultegra 8000 group sets. It looks like I can pick up a 2016 R3 Disc on closeout, but was wondering if it will cause problems.

    Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
    The Cervelo R3 disc (as the first released 2016 model) came out with 142 x 12mm thru axle on the rear, I have a set of MTB Tune King/Kong hubs built into a 1440g disc wheelset. Front Cervelo disc fork is 100 x 12mm.

    QR was 135mm with 2 x 3.5mm spuds to locate the axle in the dropouts, 142mm is simply the same with the spuds now part of the axle instead of locating in the frame.
    Cervelo R3 Disc
    Pivot Vault CX
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatbike

  13. #13
    jta
    jta is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    The Cervelo R3 disc (as the first released 2016 model) came out with 142 x 12mm thru axle on the rear, I have a set of MTB Tune King/Kong hubs built into a 1440g disc wheelset. Front Cervelo disc fork is 100 x 12mm.

    QR was 135mm with 2 x 3.5mm spuds to locate the axle in the dropouts, 142mm is simply the same with the spuds now part of the axle instead of locating in the frame.
    Thanks for the info. I passed on the R3. I decided that if I'm going to get another bike, I should go more towards a sportive/endurance geometry with disc brakes.

  14. #14
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    Thanks for the info. I passed on the R3. I decided that if I'm going to get another bike, I should go more towards a sportive/endurance geometry with disc brakes.
    Its not too bad a bike for longer rides but the geo is definitely more aggressive than sportive/endurance bikes, especially if you have the stem slammed.

    I have just ticked over 10,000km on mine the week before chrissy, still think of it as one of my newer bikes even know its now got the record for the longest recorded distance I have travelled on a dedicated bike.... always seem to unpurposely sell them around the 8k mark Strava tells me.

    Absolutely no intention of changing it out anytime soon.
    Cervelo R3 Disc
    Pivot Vault CX
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatbike

  15. #15
    jta
    jta is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Its not too bad a bike for longer rides but the geo is definitely more aggressive than sportive/endurance bikes, especially if you have the stem slammed.

    I have just ticked over 10,000km on mine the week before chrissy, still think of it as one of my newer bikes even know its now got the record for the longest recorded distance I have travelled on a dedicated bike.... always seem to unpurposely sell them around the 8k mark Strava tells me.

    Absolutely no intention of changing it out anytime soon.
    Yup, I have an R3 with rim brakes. Love it, but don't need another just for the disc brakes. Figure if I spend 2-3.5K on another bike, it'll be something with a different type of geometry and build, i.e., Cannondale Synapse or Canyon Endurace with wide tires clearance and disc brakes.

Similar Threads

  1. RBR TdF 2016 Predictions: post by start time 2016
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-23-2016, 07:10 AM
  2. Help me decide: 2016 Giant TCR, 2016 Supersix Evo HI-MOD or Trek Emonda?
    By simmsa in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-11-2015, 07:21 PM
  3. Giant Defy 1 goes disc for 2016
    By TCW1184 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2015, 05:49 AM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-26-2014, 06:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.