Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Cervelo RS build with Ultegra Di2

My new pride and joy.

Finally the rain in Sydney let up long enough to get out today and put in 80km on my new ride, all up pretty happy with how it's all gone together, especially the Ultegra Di2 install where I managed to get just about a full internal wiring install with just the external junction block under the bottom bracket.

Need to fit a slightly longer stem and have a Dura Ace 7950 compact crank on order from Ribble in the UK will hopefully arrive this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cervelo RS build with Ultegra Di2-img_0096.jpg   Cervelo RS build with Ultegra Di2-img_0097.jpg   Cervelo RS build with Ultegra Di2-img_0098.jpg   Cervelo RS build with Ultegra Di2-img_0099.jpg   Cervelo RS build with Ultegra Di2-img_0101.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    why iPhone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Do you mean why do I use an iPhone rather than some other brand of mobile phone or why do I carry a phone on my bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cut.Aussie View Post
    Do you mean why do I use an iPhone rather than some other brand of mobile phone or why do I carry a phone on my bike?
    Apologies if my question wasn't clear.

What do you carry the iPhone on the bike when you have a Garmin right next to it? Seems redundant and unnecessary, not to mention, in my opinion, unsightly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simonaway427 View Post

What do you carry the iPhone on the bike when you have a Garmin right next to it? Seems redundant and unnecessary, not to mention, in my opinion, unsightly.
    Probably hard to receive phone calls on the Garmin...

"It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Probably hard to receive phone calls on the Garmin...

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Nice bike and a clan job on the Di2 wiring!
    May I ask why you want a longer stem? There is ample room for dropping those bars a wee bit.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    Nice bike and a clan job on the Di2 wiring!
    May I ask why you want a longer stem? There is ample room for dropping those bars a wee bit.
    Cause at 57 the back is not as flexible as I wish it was, the current stem is 90mm and I have ordered a Ritchey 100mm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by simonaway427 View Post

The iPhone is mounted there because I hate wearing bluetooth headset and I'm on call 24/7 supporting patients on life support. With the iPhone mounted on the stem I can easily take calls with the iPhone using hands-free while continuing to ride with the bunch, also easy to read SMS messages with it there. Also handy for using Google maps when exploring near places.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cut.Aussie View Post
    Cause at 57 the back is not as flexible as I wish it was, the current stem is 90mm and I have ordered a Ritchey 100mm
    If you're "not as flexible" why do you want a l-o-n-g-e-r stem?

"It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    If you're "not as flexible" why do you want a l-o-n-g-e-r stem?

I don't think an additional 10mm (90 > 100) in length will make much difference to my back angle but will push my arms out and upwards slightly that helps open up the chest a little more for better breathing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    G'day, can you tell me where you got the Garmin mount bracket from?

Thanks..
    CAAK
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ---------------

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by caak View Post
    G'day, can you tell me where you got the Garmin mount bracket from?

Thanks..
    It's a Pro Carbon accessory mount from Aspire Velotech in the USA

Pro Carbon Computer, GPS, and Accessory Mount Kit
    Fits Standard & Oversize Bars-Garmin Compatible: • Aspire VeloTech - Chris King World's Largest Dealer

Mounts both my Garmin and my Headlight in Winter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Well things haven't worked out so well with my new Cervelo RS, last weekend a creaking noise developed from the Bottom Bracket area and I found a radial crack above the BB insert on the drive side, done less than 400km.

Took some photo's and my LBS forwarded them onto the local Australian distributer who has replaced the frame under warranty which is good but it still leaves me with a feeling this BB cracking is a widespread issue and that the new frame may well fail as well.

I guess only time will tell, transferring all the bits over from old frame to new frame tonight and hope to have it ready for a ride tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cervelo RS build with Ultegra Di2-bb-installed.jpg  

help us all
    Oh wow, sorry to hear of your misfortune! I hope the new frame works out better.
    2011 Cervelo r3

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    Ouch! I'm glad to hear Cervelo is completely honoring their warranty. I sure hope the new one resolves this issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Using a mobile phone while riding is a bad idea.

Anyway, I hope you'll post some pics on the new build. ^_^
    “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

cervelo bb

Lucky you. I have the same crack on my bb, cervelo and the lbs could care less.

help us all
    Quote Originally Posted by tocoldmn View Post
    Wow! What bike do you have (year and model)? Did you buy it new from an authorized dealer? Do you have any pictures? I have not heard any bad news about cervelo's warranty before. I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune!
    2011 Cervelo r3

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Weather in Sydney was appalling on Sat but finally got to put 60km on the replacement RS frame on Sunday morning and all seems good so far.

Shock Horror, new frame is 10grams heavier at 1040, how an I every going to live with that extra 10gm :-)

I'm very much a Clydesdale of a rider so I did a few steep climbs up to 10% just putting my considerable weight into the BB too stress it as much as possible but no noises or signs of cracking yet though stories of others suffering the shame BB cracks is a serious worry.

Second build went very fast now I know how to thread the various DI2 wires through the frame.

Not impressed with the 3T seat post which uses 2 screw for/aft to adjust seat angle but even with grease one bolt binds badly while the other remains loose. Given it away and gone for back to my Ritchey 1 bolt which is dead easy to adjust and lighter as well.

Due to the very small clearance between folk and tyre I have removed the 25mm and replaced it with a 23 but will retain the 25 on the rear. Totally loving the Dura-Ace wheels, great value for what I paid and lighter than Fulcrum Zero.

I have also received and installed a DA 7950 Compact crank to replace the Ultegra part.

If weather holds hope to ride Tuesday night after work.
    Last edited by Cut.Aussie; 04-18-2012 at 12:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tocoldmn View Post
    Sorry to hear your having the same issue.

But why won't Cervelo and your LBS address the issue, assuming your the first owner Cervelo offers a lifetime warranty on frames unless its user damage and these cracks around the BB seem to be related to a production problem.

Can you tell us more?

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    (Congrats to Gerrans and GreenEdge on their MSR win. You need a Scott next. )
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post
    (Congrats to Gerrans and GreenEdge on their MSR win. You need a Scott next. )
    Actually my first two bikes when I came back to cycling were both Scotts but that's not to say I wouldn't buy another but I'm not convinced any Scott offers good value at the moment and I'm kind of liking my Cervelo RS and I still have my Look 566 and Cell V2.0 converted to flat bar so at this point in time it's hard to justify owning yet another bike but I'm well aware of the formulae that applies to how many bikes we want n+1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Unfortunately you're not the first with a cracked Cervelo frame, and you probably won't be the last. It's the one thing that puts me off buying a S5 for RS have to say.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    My understanding is that the problem is basically confined to the RS / R3 frames with the conventional english BB and that Cervelo have sorted the issue with the later generation frames with the BBright bracket.

So I hope (& pray) that Cervelo will honour the lifetime warranty and if my current frame fails again they will upgrade too (presumably) a R3 with BBright and the adapters to use my Shimano DA crankset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast