RoadBikeReview Member

Cervelo S5 owners, still happy with the bike?

I am contemplating getting a S5 to add to my fleet, so not really replacing anything. I have read several online reviews and was able to take a short test ride that I enjoyed but couldn't get a true sense of frame as I would need a week or two on it before I could make a fair judgment on it. Is there anything about the frame that I should be concerned about or worried about? I have a comfy Look for long rides where comfort was the main priority. I would probably use the Cervelo for 30-50 mile fast rides for training and group rides. But I don't want a bike that will kill me over that distance. From guys who moved from the S3 to S5, they tell me the S5 is more comfortable. I believe Cervelo's data states the same. From my test ride I thought the handling was great and didn't have any issues, but didn't deal with strong crosswinds during the ride. Any issues with that? Typically around here we have days with the wind speed in the high teens to low twenty mph range with gusts occasionally adding another 5-10 mph.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I thought there was a good size group of S5 owners on here? I guess you guys must be out enjoying the bike and no time for RBR. Good enough of an answer I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Love the bike. No issues with ride quality. Ride 100 to 120 miles per week and feel great. If you decide to get it ditch stock wheels and tires immediately (at least on S5 Rival). Upgrade tires and wheels. They are heavy and make ride quality negative. I have used American Classic 420's, Zipp 404s and ride quality is great. It is fast and fun. No issues with cross winds in fact I believe it's great in crosswinds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Love the bike, fastest bike I have with no issues.

As the above poster stated, upgrade the stock wheelset. If it's in the budget and you have the stock FSA BBright crankset, upgrade that too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with the above. Great bike.
    2012 Cervelo S5 Team
    2012 Felt Z6 (sold)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Be mindful of which wheelset and tires you choose. Some wheelset/tire combinations rub on the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Relative to the stock FSA BBright crankset for a 2013 S5, what crankset would you recommend ? Currently, my gruppo is Ultegra so I was thinking one of the FSA carbon cranks. What would be recommended from other S5 riders ? What about the Rotor 3D+ (seems heavy) ? Would prefer carbon.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Most seem to upgrade to Rotor 3D+.

I upgraded to the FSA K Force Light (2012) and no issues.

Slow rider on fast wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by jallen1227 View Post
    Relative to the stock FSA BBright crankset for a 2013 S5, what crankset would you recommend ? Currently, my gruppo is Ultegra so I was thinking one of the FSA carbon cranks. What would be recommended from other S5 riders ? What about the Rotor 3D+ (seems heavy) ? Would prefer carbon.

Thanks
    I went the other way, replaced stock Rotor 3DF cranks with Ultegra cranks (plus BBRight adapter) in line with the rest of the stock groupset. That was after reading there were chainline issues with the S5 and Rotor chainring combination.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009

Cervelo S5 owners, still happy with the bike?

I have the 2012 S5 team with Sram Force and Ksyrium SL wheels and it rides great. Plenty stiff for most people and compliant enough for good ride quality. I just upgraded to a Rotor 3D+ but have not ridden it yet. I hope it doesn't have chain line issues, doesn't seem to have any problems in the work stand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    OP: I'd add an S5 to your fleet. I test rode a 2014 S3 first and loved it - best bike I had ridden. So - I opted for the S5. Using the stock Ksyrium wheels for super windy days when I need low profile - and bought some Ksyrium Carbone SLS. The side profile is similar to all my other bikes - so I am used to it and find the wheel profile makes a way bigger difference in the wind.

I have a Felt DA1 for TT - and honestly - if I ride the Felt not in the aero bars - my S5 is just about as fast. I've put only about 400 miles in the few weeks I've had it - and my average speed is up 3 to 5kmh on all my rides over my Trek I was using last year.

Comfort is great. Now. At first it was killing my lower back on anything over 50km/30miles. So went for a different fitting - had some adjustments made and now it's perfect, and a touch faster since the bars were dropped almost an inch and almost all spacers are gone.

Good luck!