RoadBikeReview Member

Cracked 2012 S2 BB ???? - It's Fixed!!!!

The last few weeks I have been chasing a creak while pedaling in the sprint, up hills etc. when sitting there was absolutey no creak. After checking the bearings looking for cracks etc. I decided maybe in the head bearings and adjusted those a bit here and there but noise was still there when out of the saddle. Tonight when a few miles from home I heard a nasty pop when out of the saddle sprinting away from a stop sign and when I got home it's cracked in two places. So here is the deal I bought the frame/fork from the original owner on ebay 2 years ago built it up and put 2,500 miles on it (I have about 5 bikes) so I am not registered for warranty, my question is if I go to a dealer is there any chance Cervelo will sale another frame at reduced rate or? just wondering if anybody bought a bike used and had any experience with help? When I got the frame it was new as the owner said he had put 50 miles on it and traded it out for a different size frame which I believe as it was absolutely mint and never even looked like it had been built and the dropouts looked like they never had an axle in them.Bummed love this bike but may see about a new S3 frame..............
    Last edited by 768Q; 06-13-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Forever a Student
    No. Zero chance. Well your only chance lies in the shop owner if you ask me. We have people bring used broken bikes in the shop all the time asking for warranty or whatever. The answer is always no. Not the original owner? You're out of luck.

Your only hope, in my opinion, is to contact the original owner and ask if he'll lie for you and try to get a replacement himself. Meaning ship the frame back and let him try with it. If I was the original owner though I would not help you, it's way too much trouble to deal with for nothing.

I've also never heard of anyone getting warranty help on a used frame. I know of shop owners that use this situation to sell older year bikes they have in stock for a discount. But those bikes would have carried a discount anyway.

Your bike is known for this problem. It is a design flaw. It's the reason Cervelo invented their own bottom bracket standard and switched over to it. They haven't had this problem since. Based on that alone you may have an outside chance, but still I doubt it.

If you really love the bike you can get it repaired. But it will crack again.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    MMsRepBike,

Pretty much what I am thinking, got it for a steal of $800 off the bay 2 years ago. Probably will part out the forks and seat post and move on. I do have a brand new in the box 2012 R3 that was a dealer old stock which I also found on ebay about 6 months ago for $851 shipped to my door and am deciding if I want to build it off these old parts or sale it outright and put the money toward a new S3 frame so I have the warranty should something like this happen again. So does the R3 with press in bearings have less chance of this happening than the S2 and its threaded in bearings? The R3 is the "Team" frame with everything new in the box, forks, seat post BB bearings etc.
    Thanks Keith

Forever a Student
    I think the 2012 R3 has the BBRight bottom bracket. If so, that's a great bike.

So yes, much less chance of this happening. I can't think of any BBRight frame that's cracked at the bottom bracket off hand, but I can think of dozens before that did.
    use a torque wrench

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 768Q View Post
    (I have about 5 bikes)
    About? You don't know the exact number?

Quote Originally Posted by 768Q View Post
    Pretty much what I am thinking, got it for a steal of $800 off the bay 2 years ago.
    Maybe the reason you got it for a steal is the seller knew there was a crack in the BB.

Before you scrap the frame and part it out, check what it'd cost to get it repaired.
    http://calfeedesign.com/repair/
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, have four bikes I call keepers and try to ride at least once a week and the un-built R3 that I don't consider a bike yet since I can't ride it, I also seem to by a bike or frame here and there fix it up a bit and sell for fun.

Calfee is close to me and thought about that but figure it will do it again so probably going to hang it up on the wall for now (not part the forks or post) and possible have them fix it for later and see how it holds up. It was as-new when I bought it and had 2,300 quiet awesome miles on the bike so will miss it.

I did go talk to the dealer today and told them what happened, didn't even ask if there was any chance of warranty as I no there wouldn't be but I wanted to see what they had in stock frame -wise, my plan is now to sell my new in the box R3 which is a 58 and order a new 56 S3 to build up when it sales.

RIP, Shame as I don't think there is a scratch on this bike other than the 2 cracks in the bottom bracket area.......
    Cracked 2012 S2 BB ????-img_20141214_104451581_zpsc21a5abf.jpg
    Last edited by 768Q; 06-14-2015 at 08:29 AM.

Forever a Student
    Definitely a shame. A victim of pushing the limits of the material too far in my opinion.

It's so young too.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    One last thought on this is I believe I created the failure by adding a Rotor 30mm 3D+ crank and their 30mm threaded bearing shells, I originally built the bike with a new Shimano 6800 Ultegra 11 speed and had 2,000 plus quiet trouble free miles, about 2 months ago after adding the Rotor crank on about the 3rd ride is when I noticed the sound when out of the saddle on climbs,etc. I would think the frame should handle it but the stiffer 30mm crank must have been too much for the BB area were as the 24mm Shimano crank had a wee bit of flex that the frame could absorb. So may see what Calfee says and repair it and put the Shimano back in if I do. I did have the Shimano back in for the last few rides as I thought (hoped ) the sound when the Rotor was in was a bad Rotor bearing or something, with the Shimano back in the sound was exactly the same at that point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Update, So I sent the frame to Calfee last week and they called today and said it would be a minor repair that they will warranty after as well, so for less than $500 (shipping, etc) it should look good as new. Time will tell. Can't wait to get it back on the road.........

Recycle King
    I have heard good things about Calfee from several members on here who had their bikes repaired.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well after a few weeks at Calfee I got my frame back Thursday and put it back together Tursday night and a bit of tuning Friday afternoon, So then I thru on my 'e kit and went for a 26 mile ride! The result? NO noise quiet as ever and so much fun to have this bike out again, Here is a picture of the repaired area, Calfee did a great job and you would never know they did anything, paint match , clear coat, ect.

Attachment 306684

Attachment 306685

What the what???
    Excellent! Glad to hear everything worked out.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The attachments don't work.