RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

New R3 - dust magnet?

I just got a new 2014 R3 last Friday. Overall, I LOVE it. I can't believe all the normally competing characteristics they managed to cram into that bike. Stable tracking yet responsive handling, quick acceleration but compliant over bumps, light but stiff. Amazing bike!

One odd thing I noticed tonight (and despite wiping it down after each ride) is how much dust it seems to collect. At first I thought I was just noticing it more due to the gloss black finish (my other carbon bikes are matte black and red/white) but I noticed that there was a ton of dust/dirt on the brakes and other non-frame surfaces as well. Do R3s generate an unusual amount of static due to the type of carbon fiber used or something? Anybody else notice this?
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

Fly on a windshield
    All the carbon fiber you speak of is covered up with paint, so unless the paint that Cervelo uses is different from other manufacturers, I don't see how they would be different.
    My R3, mostly black glossy finish, will attract dust. I haven't looked at other peoples' bikes so never really noticed. Doesn't take long to wipe it down, does it?
    God gave up this world, its people long ago.....Peter Gabriel 1971

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Use Pedro's Bike lust. Less dust attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    I just got a new 2014 R3 last Friday. Overall, I LOVE it. I can't believe all the normally competing characteristics they managed to cram into that bike. Stable tracking yet responsive handling, quick acceleration but compliant over bumps, light but stiff. Amazing bike!

One odd thing I noticed tonight (and despite wiping it down after each ride) is how much dust it seems to collect. At first I thought I was just noticing it more due to the gloss black finish (my other carbon bikes are matte black and red/white) but I noticed that there was a ton of dust/dirt on the brakes and other non-frame surfaces as well. Do R3s generate an unusual amount of static due to the type of carbon fiber used or something? Anybody else notice this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

New R3 - dust magnet?

Not a problem to wipe it off so not a huge deal in that sense. It just seems like the components (brakes, derailleur etc.) seem to similarly be attracting an unusual amount of dust so I worry about premature wear. Again, it's very noticeably different from my other bikes (carbon and Ti) and I inspect the bike before and after rides.

I've already used BikeLust and it does seems to help a bit.
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    Do R3s generate an unusual amount of static due to the type of carbon fiber used or something? Anybody else notice this?
    The R3 absorbs more of the power you put in ergo the centrifugal force of your power creates a small gravitational field sucking in micro particles of dust and small furry animals. Imagine if you were a pro! This would happen to you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Thats Funny!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Its just that your R3 is so much faster your generating more static from the wind passing over the frame.

My other bike has knobbys
    Seems to be common on all new things. My S2, like my other bikes, did when new but it seemed to attract less as it got more use. I've also found that a good clean followed by a protective wax (like bike lust or some of the automotive versions intended for carbon use) do wonders for keeping the dust bunnies away
    So 8 times wasn't enough and I'm going back again:my participant page for the 2017 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer.

12 Cervelo S2, 09 Knolly Delirium T, ?? Mercury Road Bike, signed '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX