Thread: R3 or S5?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

R3 or S5?

Hello,

I am an owner of a 2012 RS, the RS has cracking on the bottom bracket and the frame is being warrantied by cervelo.

My options for the replacement are a 2014 R3 or a 2012 red and white S5 (or other options with upgrade charges to me which I'm not interested in).

I am interested in opinions as to which would be the best option? I dont race often, but I have been told I'm a powerful rider and I enjoy pushing the pace over shorter distances. 75% of my rides are solo of 50km or less, I am in my late 30's and not at the start of a budding cycling career, so this bike will need to be comfortable.

My concerns: Keeping the R5 white frame clean, this is the second 2012 frame I've has warrantied (seriously), have they fixed the BB problem on the Rs/R3?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd get the 2014 R3.
    -Squoval 3
    -internal cabling

The BB should have been fixed with BBright.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    No question, 2014 R3. They fixed BB issue on the 2013 R3.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    I have a 2012 S5 and I love it. Fast and fun. Handles great. I s comfy on long rides also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    +1 on S5

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the 2012 r5 vwd 12lbs and a 2013 S5 15lbs with 808/404, I only put about 600 miles on the R5 and ending up selling it. now my S5 is turning 3 yr old this Dec and still loving every moment every time I ride it, it's fast and plenty stiff on any climb, and its fast !

apn
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by simonblaine View Post
    I am in my late 30's and not at the start of a budding cycling career, so this bike will need to be comfortable.
    I was at a dealer last month and the tech told me (and showed me the catalog) that Cervelo will imminently announce their C3 and C5 Endurance bikes. Rumors state mid-December.

From what I recall, the C3 shares many components of the R3 disc, but the frame is more upright and endurance oriented ala Cannondale Synapse etc.