RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Time for new bike

or at least a frame......I am considering a R3 or R5...comments?....I currently ride a 2007 Lemond carbon B/A, Ultegra 6703, RS80's. I also want to know whether either R3 or R5 with accommodate 700x25's (the B/A won't)

My Lemond is a 55cm with a 56.5 TT and as such is a little big for me (5'9 with a 29" inseam) ...it has been adequate for the last several years but I want to downsize and get the fit right....I ride about 4K yearly in fairly hilly country (Reno NV, N.CA) and am 66 years old. Needless to say, I don't race but want responsiveness and comfort...

I also am interested in Look 585/586/595's so I am interested in any experience you may have....

Thanks

Recycle King
    From what I read on here, R3 likely won't accomodate 25c because the 3T fork don't have enough clearance. I don't know if the R5 uses a 3T fork or not. You would have to go on to cervelo.com and find out.
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa, 1989 NYC Marathon winner

"Common sense is not too common these days."

"Cheap things have no value, valuable things are not cheap." - Fortune Cookie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Time for new bike

I have a 2011 R3 and use 25 tires without any issues at all. Conti 4000S.
    I also have Zipp 303 FC wheels that are quite wide but again, no issues with clearances

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ls1togo View Post
    I also want to know whether either R3 or R5 with accommodate 700x25's (the B/A won't)
    I can also confirm that you can use 700x25 on the R3/R5 bikes. Yes, the front is tight but it definitely has the clearance without any rub or normal concerns.

I personally have an R3 (2012 non-team) and I wished I would have gotten the R5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I ride a current model R3 with Conti GP4000S 25mm tyres on Dura-Ace C23 wheels and have lots of clearance to spare.

Pug
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrunnerLXXI View Post
    From what I read on here, R3 likely won't accomodate 25c because the 3T fork don't have enough clearance. I don't know if the R5 uses a 3T fork or not. You would have to go on to cervelo.com and find out.
    2013 R3 doesn't use a 3T fork. The new fork has plenty of room for a 25mm tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I test rode the R3 and 53 back to back a couple of years ago. The difference was minimal in my humble opinion. I actually tested, the R3 Team, R5 and R3 base. I ended up buying the base because I seriously could not justify the extra money to myself. I could certainly feel that the bike was lighter, but the ride quality and was really close to me.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...