Roadcyclist

Exclamation eBay scam - via Moneygram (TIME VXRS ULTEAM WS) aka Brian Pilkington

just a heads-up in case any of the RBR members are looking into this eBay purchase.
    this guy tried to scam me by requesting for Moneygram.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Not sure if the address exist or not, but here are the details:

Seller's name: removed
    Seller's address
    removed

first, he requested that i sent him my personal email for pics of the bike.
    seller did send me the pics within the next couple of minutes, then asked if i'm keen on a buy it now. price is GBP1500 (which is a bargain of course)
    i requested for a paypal transaction, but he mentioned that his paypal account is on hold due to his recent divorce etc..
    within the next 2hrs, i received a supposedly fake invoice from eBay, requesting to transfer the GBP1500 using moneygram.

the invoice sounded a little fishy..
    here's a quote from the last paragraph

Very important:
    This sale is covered by eBay and it doesn't involve Money Gram or other parts. Money Gram just makes the transfer possible by verifying the identity of both seller and buyer.
    So, the Money Gram agent won't have any details about the transaction. The best way will be to just "send the money for a friend".

The following is a invoice from eBay and X
    Campagonlo Record 11 (RXR) Time VXRS Ulteam World Star
    Item Id: 280591158434
    Item price: 1,500.00
    Shipping: Included (7 days return policy)
    ------------------------------------
    Total price 1,500.00

The payment method covered in this sale is a money transfer by Money Gram.

It is recommended to send the payment as soon as possible, because your purchase protection is valid for 30 days only. Sending the payment by any other method of payment will void this transaction and your right to refund.

To submit the payment with Money Gram, you need to pay for the transfer with cash at a local Money Gram agent. Click here to locate the agents in your area : http://www.moneygram.com/eFindUs/fin...countryCode=GB

Go to one of them and send the payment to the verified name & address of the seller:

Seller's name: removed
    Seller's address:
    removed

to all fellow RBR members, be very cautious. i almost got taken for a ride with this a-hole..
    looks like we have to be extra cautious especially eBayers with zero feedback.

cheers and ride safe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails eBay scam - via Moneygram (TIME VXRS ULTEAM WS) aka Brian Pilkington-111.jpg   eBay scam - via Moneygram (TIME VXRS ULTEAM WS) aka Brian Pilkington-2.jpg   eBay scam - via Moneygram (TIME VXRS ULTEAM WS) aka Brian Pilkington-5.jpg   eBay scam - via Moneygram (TIME VXRS ULTEAM WS) aka Brian Pilkington-3.jpg   eBay scam - via Moneygram (TIME VXRS ULTEAM WS) aka Brian Pilkington-6.jpg  

Last edited by Maverick; 11-26-2010 at 08:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks kosher to me. Address checks out as a residential address. Photos look like a typical English garden.

Paypal takes 7-10 actual days to clear to a bank in the UK unless you pay an extra charge to speed it up. Still takes 2-3 days then.

Plus it has to go to a bank account so if he is in the middle of a divorce in Yorkshire I can understand wanting to use moneygram.

Very unlikely to be a scam IMO. Just a poor Northerner trying to stiff his ex-missus!!

Bit off to post the guy's full name address & email too.

Roadcyclist
    @ultimobici,

removed the seller's name and address.

anyway, the so called "invoice" received from eBay does look fake to me.
    note the following security statement from eBay (both Moneygram and WesternUnion):

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter...htransfer.html

should the seller receive a positive feedback from the buyer, I will promptly delete this thread. else, just keep on eye on such cases.

cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Zero feedback and almost zero description on a bike this this? Ad copy says he accepts paypal?

Red flags everywhere. At least the cost of shipping looks realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici
    Looks kosher to me. Address checks out as a residential address. Photos look like a typical English garden.

Paypal takes 7-10 actual days to clear to a bank in the UK unless you pay an extra charge to speed it up. Still takes 2-3 days then.

Plus it has to go to a bank account so if he is in the middle of a divorce in Yorkshire I can understand wanting to use moneygram.

Very unlikely to be a scam IMO. Just a poor Northerner trying to stiff his ex-missus!!

Bit off to post the guy's full name address & email too.