Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

MERLIN TITANIUM ROAD BIKE BICYCLE 53 cm S *VERY NICE* - $650

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Elfstone 
#1 ·
Hay fellow RBR peoples, I recently replied to an ad on Graigslist for a "MERLIN TITANIUM ROAD BIKE BICYCLE 53 cm S *VERY NICE* - $650" and this is the reply I got;

Hello,
Thank you for your e-mail
I will pay for the shipping and insurance and I will provide you 10 days money back guarantee, no questions asked. That means within 10 working days you decide if you don't want to keep the item
I must tell you that we use SafeFunds Financial Department for your security.
If we make the deal through SafeFunds you will have the warrantly that you will receive the item and you don`t lose your money.
I have sign a contract with SafeFunds.The SafeFunds will be totally responsible if anything should happen to our transaction and there for you or me will not have any loss!If you are interested and want to go ahead with the transaction please let me know.
Thank you and i will wait your answer

This is a link to the original ad on Graigslist.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/358233343.html

I’ve never done anything through an escrow service, so I don’t have a clue if The Safe Funds is legit. Though I would not purchase a bike locally without first looking and riding it, I was wondering if this looks like a duck (scam)…

Peace :cool:

See less See more
#2 ·
sounds like an escrow scam.

#4 · (Edited)
Thank you all

for the fast reply fellows, I thought the price looked to god to be true, but I couldn’t help myself. I’ve been looking for a decent deal on a steel bike for a while now, but I wouldn’t say no titanium for the right price though. I’m going to be in San Francisco for the weekend and I’ll be looking at a Kelly Bone Stock, so I thought it wouldn’t hurt to have a look at the Merlin while I’m in town.

Anyhoo, I couldn’t help myself and replied to the scam email just to see where this person is willing to take it. Below is my response to the scammer,

Hello,
Thank you for your prompt reply to my inquiry in regard to you Merlin Titanium Road Bike. I am very motivated in the purchase of this road bike, if the bike is in acceptable condition. I will be in San Francisco in the Inner Sunset District for this weekend and would like to look at the bike and ride it before I commit to purchasing your Merlin.

If you’ll supply me with your telephone number I’ll call to make arrangements at you convenience to look and ride the bike. If the Merlin is in satisfactory condition to me, I’ll pay you in cash at that time. If these arrangements are acceptable to you, I have cash in hand and would like to part with it for a nice road bike…

Thank you in advance

I’ll be interesting to see if I get a reply, if I do I’ll post it…

#5 ·
we ga <wecas07@yahoo.com> wrote:

I`ll need your full name and address so that SafeFunds can contact you after that you can pick it up the item

This was my reply,

What part of the “I want to look and ride the Merlin Titanium Road Bike and make this purchase in person don’t you understand?” Do you take me for fool to give you my personal information without knowing anything about you! You give no name, no telephone number and no indication that your legit in your claim that you do indeed have a Merlin to sell. For all I know this could be a scam! If you can’t supply a telephone number so we can arrange a time for me to come and see this Merlin, then stop wasting my time scammer!

Eat **** and die!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.