Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    has anyone tried the dr scholls machine where you stand on it barefoot and it tell you what kind of insoles you should get?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I use the Superfeet in blue for my bike shoes. The blues have more arch support and are narrow to fit better in bike shoes.

Not a rocket surgeon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

eSole Supportive

Steve Hogg on his blog very recently recommended eSole Supportive and for some riders he also recommended Superfeet Green/Black (for low arch riders).

here is a link

http://stevehoggbikefitting.blogspot...upport_18.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

G8 Performance Cycling Insoles

I currently use the G8 2600 insoles myself and recommend them to all my Retul fit studio clients. They are new to market and build from the eSoles platform. They feature four different arch supports, each of which can be positioned / snapped into place forward / back and / or left / right. 28 unique arch support options in total. They also have a metatarsal pad.

g8performance.com

They are from Australia so shipping is expensive, but I like have an agreement with them for free shipping. Shoot me an message if you want to learn more.

velocraftcycling.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Giro insoles worked best for me. They come with three different levels of arch support pads. They're really thin in the heel too, which won't mess up the fit in the heel cup like the Specialized ones did for me.

rayms
    Sep 2013
    There are posts here that recommend certain products, but have no detail.
    You recommend it because its comfortable or efficient or both?
    I am looking for a thin, firm one to put in a touring shoe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acid_rider View Post
    Steve Hogg on his blog very recently recommended eSole Supportive and for some riders he also recommended Superfeet Green/Black (for low arch riders).

here is a link

http://stevehoggbikefitting.blogspot...upport_18.html
    He is right about the esoles system. It is outstanding--adaptable, durable and effective. I have it in all my bike shoes.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    In any shoe but especially in a shoe that you wear where a lot of force is transferred to your feet you want proper foot control and movement.

Regarding the heat moldable shoes how do they correct a problem with foot alignment or control such as say flat feet or highly flexible shoes? If for instance you flat feet when you put your foot into a heat moldable shoe would your foot still tend to flatten into the warm mold which would not be molded for flat feet when it cools?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    ^ +1

Another Giro insoles fan here. Over the decades, have tried eSoles, Superfeet, Pearl Izumis system (much like Giros, but not as well executed and thought out design-wise), etc, etc, but nothing compares to the Giros. Giro and their shoes too, if you have normal to narrow feet---especially low volume feet (I've size 11 1/2 feet, by my foot volume is comparable to a size 8-9 American clodhopper, fastfood-induced Neanderthal-wide foot)---cannot be beat in the marketplace.

If you have fat feet needing a wide toe box, Giro insoles are not the best. But otherwise, if you are cyclist, you are doing yourself a disservice if you've never tried them and/or their shoes & insoles. I've turned many friends on over here to Giro. They previously were Sidi, Mavic, etc users because of their normal-to-low volume foot, and Sidi/Mavic make decent shoes and insoles. But upon putting Giros on, and setting their correct insole arch support, the grin that came across their collective face(s) was in no way not noticeable.

The common refrain from them is/was: I never knew the foot-to-shoe-to-pedal system could feel so powerfully as one, yet have that feeling last comfortably from the beginning of the ride to the end of the ride, no matter if it was a 30mi jaunt or a 100+mi death ride.

rayms
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Are you using these with cycling shoes?

rayms
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    has anyone tried the dr scholls machine where you stand on it barefoot and it tell you what kind of insoles you should get?
    These appear to be for walking support.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Anyone tried the Solestar Kontrol?
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Anyone tried the Solestar Kontrol?
    I've been using them for a couple of weeks and have been blown away by how good they are. They are unlike any other footbed I've used - and I've used a lot (Giro, esoles, etc.). It's hard to describe the feel, but for the first time I really feel like I am making excellent contact all along the medial length of my foot with solid support at the forefoot and heel - the triangular clamp they describe. I was skeptical a bit because they don't have an adjustable arch but it's such a different design that your foot finds the right spot on it.

here's a little test I did: seated climbing at high power (like 600+ watts) while trying to wiggle your toes. In other shoes, I felt like I needed to clench my toes to maintain power, but the "clamp" in the solestar really seems to work with the effect of feeling like my feet are very relaxed in the shoe - even at high power.

I'm using them in my bonts, which I had given up on because they are so stiff that they make any imperfection in foot/shoe contact apparent over time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    I've been using them for a couple of weeks and have been blown away by how good they are. They are unlike any other footbed I've used - and I've used a lot (Giro, esoles, etc.). It's hard to describe the feel, but for the first time I really feel like I am making excellent contact all along the medial length of my foot with solid support at the forefoot and heel - the triangular clamp they describe. I was skeptical a bit because they don't have an adjustable arch but it's such a different design that your foot finds the right spot on it.

here's a little test I did: seated climbing at high power (like 600+ watts) while trying to wiggle your toes. In other shoes, I felt like I needed to clench my toes to maintain power, but the "clamp" in the solestar really seems to work with the effect of feeling like my feet are very relaxed in the shoe - even at high power.

I'm using them in my bonts, which I had given up on because they are so stiff that they make any imperfection in foot/shoe contact apparent over time.
    Steve...Using esoles mainly because I have really high arches. Do you think these will support those of us with arches maybe a little outside the bell curve so-to-speak? I guess they might be worth a try to see for sure...any insight appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737 View Post
    Steve...Using esoles mainly because I have really high arches. Do you think these will support those of us with arches maybe a little outside the bell curve so-to-speak? I guess they might be worth a try to see for sure...any insight appreciated.
    I was using the high arch on esoles and find the solestar gives a lot of arch support - I suspect they might give problems for people with low arches, since they come up very high on the arch area. They also have a 60 day return policy I believe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike View Post
    I was using the high arch on esoles and find the solestar gives a lot of arch support - I suspect they might give problems for people with low arches, since they come up very high on the arch area. They also have a 60 day return policy I believe.
    Thanks for the info!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Did a couple hours with the Soulstars today. Compared to the esoles I notice a lot more pressure on the balls of my feet and the heal. Arches are a touch sore. I use S-works shoes so I guess they negate the varus aspect of the shoe. I think my feet are a little sore simply because I have to tighten the shoe differently than with the esoles. For example I had to really tighten the top Boa to keep the heal feeling secure. Perhaps I don't need that much pressure. Didn't notice any weird or significant differences with power...time will tell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I like SofSols for high arches. They also have medium and low arch versions. Much more supportive than Superfeet.

https://www.sofsole.com/product/High_Arch

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rayms View Post
    There are posts here that recommend certain products, but have no detail.
    You recommend it because its comfortable or efficient or both?
    I am looking for a thin, firm one to put in a touring shoe.
    You could check the thin one available from sofsols.

https://www.sofsole.com/product/Thin_Fit

Or perhaps the athlete fit.
    https://www.sofsole.com/product/Athlete

I use the high arch version, this brand has a lot of options, and I've been very happy with mine. It says it's flexible, but the ones I use are considered soft, and I consider them firm. I use them in my carbon road shoes.
    Last edited by aureliajulia; 07-12-2015 at 03:35 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12