RoadBikeReview Member

Computrainer Spin Analysis

Any coaches out there actively using Computrainer SpinScan to productively improve your clients' pedal motion?

I have an opportunity to pick up a used one and would like to apply it to my bike fit practice.
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

Cycling Coach
    Put it this way, the Computrainer is a great training tool (I have one and have previously run a multirider training centre using them). But spin scan is typically over hyped, poorly understood and mostly used as a belief based tool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Here's my question: I've been battle problems with my left leg all year. Now after surgery and weeks on crutches, I'm beginning recovery and strengthening my leg. I have access to a Computrainer and it would be nice to have a metric to gauge recovery at PT other than how much my knee hurts. What is the relevant information that can be learned from spin scan and how should I setup a test for it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Simmons/RST View Post
    Put it this way, the Computrainer is a great training tool (I have one and have previously run a multirider training centre using them). But spin scan is typically over hyped, poorly understood and mostly used as a belief based tool.
    I've had mine since 2003 and agree with you. About the only thing I've really found useful (perhaps) is when I started having issues with my left leg, I could look at spin scan and see my power was much less in that leg as I expected. After some therapy, the power became much more balanced between right/left.

As far as anything else (pedaling in circles, etc) I think it's meaningless.

Cycling Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by kbiker3111 View Post
    Here's my question: I've been battle problems with my left leg all year. Now after surgery and weeks on crutches, I'm beginning recovery and strengthening my leg. I have access to a Computrainer and it would be nice to have a metric to gauge recovery at PT other than how much my knee hurts. What is the relevant information that can be learned from spin scan and how should I setup a test for it?
    If you have two legs, then all that matters is two legged power, so focus on that.

In 2007 I had a lower left leg amputation. This was my progress:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Appreciate the responses.

I've heard the argument to "just mash the pedals" and it's hard to accept after years of brainwashing.

But seriously, I was thinking the Computrainer would be good to identify any major power changes with bike fit adjustments. I guess you wouldn't need SpinScan for that, though.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by velocanman View Post
    I've heard the argument to "just mash the pedals" and it's hard to accept after years of brainwashing.
    In my view, it's a fairly good argument. But that doesn't mean an analysis can't be helpful. For example, mashing straight down on the pedal when it is is at bottom dead center (as quite a few riders do) means the rider is applying force not used for forward propulsion. An analysis would at least make a rider aware of this.

/w
    Last edited by wim; 08-22-2012 at 05:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Simmons/RST View Post
    If you have two legs, then all that matters is two legged power, so focus on that.

In 2007 I had a lower left leg amputation. This was my progress:

I've seen your chart before and I agree that cycling performance has little to do with leg balance (although that chart is n=1). What I'm asking is more overall health oriented. Assuming I was pretty close to equal leg strength pre-injury I'd like to have a way of measuring how well I'm recovering. It seems the majority of coaches agree that spin scan is a misused tool with results that are often misinterpreted. What are people interpreting wrong? Is it simply the leg balance == performance fallacy? Can anything useful be learned from spin scan? If so, what is the proper test to do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    good info

RoadBikeReview Member
    It sounds like there are some new power trainers set to hit the market soon. I might hold off on the Computrainer for now.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/f...Rainmaker)&m=1