Thread: Front knee pain

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

Front knee pain

Hey
    So I've been riding for a few years, have never had knee trouble before. all of a sudden in the past two days, my left knee has had a painful twinge in the front towards the bottom of the kneecap. It hurts when I walk upstairs, downstairs, significantly bend my knee, and sometimes when i pedal. Three days ago my cleat came loose so I took it off to tighten the base (I have speedplay pedals) and maybe I put it back on different, that is the only thing I can think of. Anyway, I 'm just wondering if this is serious. I tried to move my cleat but not quite sure where it was before. I'm icing a few times today. Also I have a race tomorrow. What do I do to make this go away??? I don't want to end up getting a chronic injury. Or am I overthinking this?

thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I had a similar knee pain when I got a new bike. I tried lifting the saddle higher, but it didn't really help. What helped in the end was moving the cleats back about 1 cm. The knee pain went away and I could lower my saddle to a more comfortable position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kallee
    I had a similar knee pain when I got a new bike. I tried lifting the saddle higher, but it didn't really help. What helped in the end was moving the cleats back about 1 cm. The knee pain went away and I could lower my saddle to a more comfortable position.
    So once you changed your cleats it just stopped hurting? Did you have to take a few days off the bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I did not take any time off, but I wasn't riding every day anyway. The pain slowly went away. After about one week there was no trace of it.

I had the knee pain for almost a year. I tried various things, moving the saddle up, down, forward, backward, paid a chunk of money for a professional fit, tried different pedals, but nothing really worked until I moved the cleats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for posting back. I looked at my shoe and realized my cleat was like 1.5cm too far forward! imanidiot- glad you mentioned this. I moved it and pedaling didn't hurt, just waiting for the rest of the pain to fade.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    reading this just made me remember I had a loose cleat as well and I had to put in back in place. That was a few weeks ago.

2 weekends ago I developed serious pain in my left knee 9.5 hours into a 12 hour endurance race and had to quit. I had the same symptoms as the OP. I had written it off as over use injury do to length on the race. Now I'm going to check my shoes to see if that might have been the issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    i had the same problem this season after a hard early season ride. i actually did get some fluid in my knee above the knee cap also.
    moved my cleat back, raised my seat a couple mm up and continued to ride. i rode through the pain and iced after each ride and i am now just about 100% recovered. took several weeks. i am riding every day and my avg ride distance this season is around 38 miles a ride. if you can rest your knee it would speed up the recovery time for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just replaced my cleats and I guess they didn't get back to exactly where they were because I just developed a similar pain in my left knee. I mirrored the right one and noticed it was 4 mm forward and a few mm to the left. I just adjusted them...hopefully it helps!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I did same last year. I got a silver marker and traced my cleats. That should cure that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Has anyone tried leukotape or kinesio tape while the pain is going away? I had a pretty rough ride this morning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I just ordered my tape from Amazon today. [Hard to find good medical tape local] I have been suffering from chondromalacia [inflammation under the knee cap] since June, I have taken the last 2 months off the bike, my knee feels better but I still cant kneel on it without pain.
    I went to see one of the BMC team doctors and he recommended the McConnel taping method, it essentially makes your Knee cap track to the side a little. You can search U tube to see how. I hope it works for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Front knee pain is sometimes related to cleat positioning. Sounds like you tightened up your cleat in the wrong position. re-evaluate the cleat position and the knee pain should go away.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    If it's local pain on the bottom of the patella itself, I would say bursitis. If it's right below the patella, patellar tendonitis. The pain in both area's can take a long time to heal. Moving the seat forward, raising the saddle, shortening the crank arm are all options for treatment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    you should get your knee looked at. sure messing with your cleat/pedal position will help, tape will help, but get it looked at.