Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014

increasing average speed

High there second year rider first road bike.
    i am a recreational rider looking to boost my average cruise mph what is the best way thanks for all input

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pedal harder.

Smart-alec answer; sorry. But without lots of more specific information about you and what kind of riding you do, and how much, etc., it's impossible to give more specific advice.
    "Lay me down like a stone, O God, and raise me up like a loaf." Platon Karataev, War and Peace Book XII

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Ride more. Do intervals. Ride harder. Suffer more.

Remember, it doesn't get easier, you just go faster.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Ride more. Do intervals. Ride harder. Suffer more.

Remember, it doesn't get easier, you just go faster.
    Unless you are older then it doesn't get any easier, you just get slower.
    Last edited by Sumguy1; 08-01-2014 at 03:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Don't coast the downhills, keep pedaling. In fact, don't coast anywhere, just keep pedaling...hard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    when your vision goes dark around the edges back off a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    It essentially comes down to watts/kg and aerodynamics.
    Watts can be increased by training. Endless reading available on this.
    Kg can be reduced by consuming less calories that burning (simple answer with lots of other considerations). Also be careful doing this while trying to train hard.
    Improved aerodynamics achieved two ways. Inexpensive and expensive. Wear tight clothing and ride in an aero position are inexpensive options. Deep dish carbon wheels, aero frames, aero helmet are expensive options.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumguy1 View Post
    Unless you are older then it doesn't get any easier, you just get slower.
    Ain't that the truth? If we knew the OP's age and if he/she was in his/her 60's, I'd say "lose thirty years". My average is about 3-4 mph slower than it was and I still train as hard as I did.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Ain't that the truth? If we knew the OP's age and if he/she was in his/her 60's, I'd say "lose thirty years". My average is about 3-4 mph slower than it was and I still train as hard as I did.
    Me, I'm a shadow of my former self, since I had many years in between where I didn't get on a bike...

For the OP--my suggestion is to find faster people to ride with--I really think that some of it is in your head.

Even for me, coming back to cycling after many years after serious racing in my youth, it took a couple of rides with some very fast guys to remind me how fast was fast (and how slow I had become...).
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    First thing is don't treat training like it's racing all the time. Warm up and cool down before and after your hard rides, and at least match the time spent riding hard, with riding easy on other days for giving your legs some active recovery. But only a coach you actually work with could tell you more, or what kind of schedule might be best.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Good info all. I would agree training is a great way to concentrate on one area.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Sorry for the lack of info. The immediate smart a-- comments kind of turned me away and I forgot about the thread any ways, I have progressed a little and I have read a lot of good info on this site thanks for that and have good day

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakrunner View Post
    Sorry for the lack of info. The immediate smart a-- comments kind of turned me away and I forgot about the thread any ways, I have progressed a little and I have read a lot of good info on this site thanks for that and have good day
    It's been over a year and you've only progressed a little?
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    I have lost 25 pounds now 38years old 5ft 10 152lbs and picked up 1.5 miles an hour on my average I usually ride a 10 mile loop a couple times a week and a couple charity type rides last year I put on three hundred miles this year it's looking like 800 miles so yeah with limited time,work and family I am trying to improve realistically as much as reasonably possible

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Ride more. Unfortunately, cycling requires a huge time commitment to improve.

It just depends on what you want to get out of it. That is not a judgment. If riding a little bit a couple times a week is all you want to do, keep it up. Cycling is my drug of choice. It takes up an unreasonable amount of my life. I just don't think I'll be on my death bed wishing I had worked more and ridden less.

Cycling is not like rec softball or basketball clubs, where you can play for 2 hours a week and still be good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by obed View Post
    when your vision goes dark around the edges back off a bit.
    Oh man, I'm getting scared.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinAma View Post
    Wear tight clothing and ride in an aero position
    /thread
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    I think you said it perfectly. I am trying to dedicate more and more time to cycling thanks for the input

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have lost 25 pounds now 38years old 5ft 10 152lbs and picked up 1.5 miles an hour on my average I usually ride a 10 mile loop a couple times a week and a couple charity type rides last year I put on three hundred miles this year it's looking like 800 miles so yeah with limited time,work and family I am trying to improve realistically as much as reasonably possible
    Are you able to commute to work by bike? If at any way possible, even a couple times a week, it's the best way to get time on the bike without much impact on your daily schedule.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Man I wish I could I am pretty envious of those that can. As it stands right now i am 85 MI from work and carpool with 10 people

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Man I wish I could I am pretty envious of those that can. As it stands right now i am 85 MI from work and carpool with 10 people
    Ugh! Well that explains why you don't have time to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Carpooling is perfect, you just need to get your head around this.....
    Take your bike in the summer and ride it home in lieu of the pool. If you have light in the morning ride it in to work. You got flex time?
    85 miles @ 15mph is about 6 hours.
    You will not have time for golf in the evening though.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I'm in my 60's and I've come to realize that the older I get the faster I was.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Try a spin class

I think you said it perfectly. I am trying to dedicate more and more time to cycling thanks for the input
    I do at least one spin class a week. Helps a lot with endurance and overall speed because with a good instructor your doing intervals, long seated climbs, standing intervals, speed work and more. you control the resistance or watts so only you really know how hard your pushing yourself. It does not take the place of longer weekend rides but definitely helps them in a lot of ways.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Not using punctuation makes your typing faster.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

My radio control aircraft addiction is fed by: theprofilebrotherhood.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast