Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Corenfa View Post
    Where do you live? Some of your local clubs may offer some rides with intervals as an option. As for intervals, just try pushing your speed on flats. Try holding high speeds for 30 seconds or a minute, then back down.
    You need more than a few minutes to stress your lactic acid system and produce speed improvements except when sprinting.

Seiler in the polarized camp says 7-10 minutes as hard as possible is ideal. 4x8 with 2 minutes rest seems to be their canonical workout.

The traditional threshold workout is 2x20 or 3x20 minutes with 5 minutes rest using at least 95% of threshold power.

I like 3x10 minutes (now 4x10) with 4-5 minutes rest starting at 110% of FTP once a week plus a weekly 75-90 minute threshold effort aiming for 95% of FTP.

It's not just about cadence output, but power output too. Spinning at 120 means you're not putting out much power (or you're superman).
    Producing peak power sprinting requires hitting 120 RPM to maximize muscle fiber recruitment

Intervals: Fast or Slow-sprint-cadence.jpg

and it doesn't take much training to do short efforts out to 130-140 RPM.

That extra range lets you run bigger starting cogs for tighter spacing an/or an easier low gear (this is less of an issue with 11 cogs in back) and not leave your small ring when you need a brief burst of speed but are otherwise riding at moderate paces.
    Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-16-2015 at 02:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    neither... much preferable to ride up a hill @ 90rpm.
    This^

Find a hill somewhere that is a moderate grade for YOU. Then, narrow it to YOU working all out at 90-100 rpm to do it in 2-3 minutes. Start there.

Monitor your HR, but you should feel like you can't pedal anymore near the end.

Here's the hard, but fun part.........keep you effort consistent across the 2-3 as much as possible. If you are dead half way through, you started to hard. If you are finishing and are not near death, you did not go hard enough.

I don't know if your trainer has resistance or is a fluid one or what, but you can do this on a trainer too. In fact, you will find it easier to do on a trainer from a constant effort perspective. Set a gear, a cadence (90-100 )and keep it there.

Do a set of 4 with 3 min of easy pedaling in between and see how you feel.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt View Post
    Less than a few minutes isn't enough to stress your lactic acid system and produce speed improvements. You need more than a few minutes for that

Seiler in the polarized camp says 7-10 minutes as hard as possible is ideal.

2x20 or 3x20 minutes is the traditional threshold workout.

I like 3x10 (now 4x10) starting at 110% of FTP once a week plus a weekly 75-90 minute threshold effort aiming for 95% of FTP.

Producing peak power sprinting requires hitting 120 RPM to maximize muscle fiber recruitment

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sprint+cadence.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	306813

and it doesn't take much training to do well out to 130-140 RPM.
    This is great for a trained rider or racer, but I get the feeling the OP is kind of a rookie and just wants to get better. I'm going to assume no power meter for the guy either.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote. In fact, I'm doing the 75 min at 95% FTP later today. I

Can you "tweak" your response for a non power meter guy who just wants to ride a little faster?
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I think my wife is feeling fine, we been divorced for about 25 years. Maybe I'll call her and find out... nah.
    BANNED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12