Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Neophyte
    Also, if you have a chest strap HRM, bad connection before you get enough moisture + wind can make your HR show too high due to static, especially at beginning of rides and on fast descents. You can try using gel to improve the connection if you suspect anything, and some people also rub dryer sheets over the front of their jersey.

That said, I find myself in Z3/Z4 way too much myself, will probably finally bite the bullet and force myself to do Z2 training this year. Can't wait for the kids in training wheels and skateboarders to pass me for a couple months...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post

That said, I find myself in Z3/Z4 way too much myself, will probably finally bite the bullet and force myself to do Z2 training this year. Can't wait for the kids in training wheels and skateboarders to pass me for a couple months...
    Are you planning to significantly increase the amount of training time you're doing overall to make up for the decreased intensity? If not, your overall training load will be lower and you'll likely just get slower.

I don't think the overall goal should be to force yourself into one zone more than another just for the sake of making it easier. Rather, it's to make your work in each zone be purposeful and progressive to the point that you're increasing your overall training load and moving towards work that is most specific to your goals.

If I have five hours of training time each week, I do a significantly higher percentage of hard work than I do at 10 hours, which is then more than I do at 15 hours. As volume increases, percentage of intensity generally decreases.

Neophyte
    Thanks for pointing that out. My available time for riding fluctuates quite a bit, so I'll need to keep hours available in mind if I'm going to try this Zone 2 thing and try to squeeze more in somewhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    jet dog I am a rec cyclist so don't put much into what i'm saying here; BUT all exercise I do includes a heart strap and I too tried to do the zone 2 thing. wanted to burn fat, go longer, etc. it sucked. I hated trying to be that slow and saw zero improvement in ability to go faster (I guess that would be obvious).

so I said **** on that mess and I ride at moderate effort with intervals here and there. HR is 140-152 or so and frankly I can't find a way to do less and enjoy myself.

I bought the HRM due to an AFIB experience a few years ago. at 43 and overweight i'm looking to add years to my life, not subtract them. but at the same time I suspect it's better to fall over dead after a good interval than to die staring at the ceiling lying on the floor of your living room in your underwear covered in cheeto dust.

RoadBikeReview Member
    When I race - MTB or road TT, my target HR is 92% of my max. These are solo efforts (no drafting) so the HR has little fluctuation. More so on the MTB (climb, descend, climb, descend). I can do that for up to 2 hours. I'm 48, and not a pro. So, for an old amateur to ride at 168 BPM, avg. for 1-2 hours, I'd assume a young guy would be more than fine at 170-180.

Neophyte
    Newborn + job + home shopping + moving have made it impossible to train regularly. But I have made it a point to take it easier on some runs and rides. It's probably not helping my cardio in the long run but the body seems to appreciate it now and then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    if this is your first child just be aware that virtually every parent who went on to have a second child realized at that point they had more free time than they thought with just one kid.

I won't even tell you what happens to your free time when sports start.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OldZaskar View Post
    When I race - MTB or road TT, my target HR is 92% of my max. These are solo efforts (no drafting) so the HR has little fluctuation. More so on the MTB (climb, descend, climb, descend). I can do that for up to 2 hours. I'm 48, and not a pro. So, for an old amateur to ride at 168 BPM, avg. for 1-2 hours, I'd assume a young guy would be more than fine at 170-180.
    Sounds about right to me. I'm usually 178-180 average for 1-2hr race.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksdad View Post
    if this is your first child just be aware that virtually every parent who went on to have a second child realized at that point they had more free time than they thought with just one kid.

I won't even tell you what happens to your free time when sports start.
    Thanks... now if I could get the wife to buy into that...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12