Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009

C59 Italia - Finally!

After 5 months of delay .... finally!

will have to test ride this one ..... more pics later

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    We got our first two in @ the shop yesterday. 3 more still to come.

Cat 6
    It needs a matching matte black post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice. Congrats! Post your review afterwards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Yep ..................... unfortunately, what arrived was a glossy one ..... i'm contemplating of bringing it over to a local artist to solve the problem I do believe sending it back to the store is not a wise option ..... it may take another 5 months to be back
    Last edited by 1Cebu; 02-26-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Col,Naaa,GOOOOO

easy to do

Gently sand off the paint and clear coat with 800 then 1000 grit water paper and have a matt finish sprayed on to protect the carbon....can even spray it on yourself with a rattle can and time (very light coat, two or three passes, let dry 4 hours or more in between each, always start spraying before the object and end after it)
    Colnago C50 WX07 54......
    if you don't fall off, you're not trying hard enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Very nice indeedy!

Pablo

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    1Cebu... congrats... Sweet bike!

Hors Categorie
    Jan 2005
    If you are using Deda handlebars and stem, you can get a Deda Black Stick carbon seatpost. I think that is matt black carbon. At least its equivalent to non-shiny carbon. It certainly looked that way when I saw it up close.

Congratulations on that beautiful bike, BTW. DI2 as well. Enjoy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Rode it for 40 kms .... and raced it on our local Saturday morning crit .... and all I could say is ... GREAT!!! Basically rode like the awesome EPS .... but noticeably the rear is stiffer. At any rate these are just initial impressions ............... will continue to ride more.

Here's the complete build (Note: will be sanding-down the glossy parts and matte-finish it)

parts to be refinished (matte) - top cap & 3T ARX LTD stem & 3T Ergonova LTD bars

Colnago carbon seatpost

Moro d'elite bottle cage

Other highlights:
    303s on 23c tubs/DA 7900 stoppers with Zipp Tangente cork pads

DA compact cranks / Look Keo Blade Ti

Any and all criticisms will be appreciated.
    Last edited by 1Cebu; 02-26-2011 at 05:07 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice......looks great :-)
    Colnago Con Brio - a cycle web site for all Colnago fans! http://colnagoconbrio.posterous.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Just wishing I had mine - that looks great though. Dura Ace electric, right? All in all a really solid build, congrats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Great bike. I ordered one a few days ago. The only problem is I can't find a matching matte black stem and handlebar or an integrated handlebar. I asked Colnago to customize the integrated handlebar to match the colour of the bike, but they don't do that. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rmfh
    Great bike. I ordered one a few days ago. The only problem is I can't find a matching matte black stem and handlebar or an integrated handlebar. I asked Colnago to customize the integrated handlebar to match the colour of the bike, but they don't do that. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
    If you really want to be picky . . .

That's the problem with a matte finish frame. As Iyeoh alluded to, the only line of components that ever came with a matte finish was the ole Deda line. In fact, I've collected most of the components, but not for the matte finish, but for the gorgeous 3K weave.

The Deda Mag seatpost had the matte finish and was actually one of the lightest 31.7 seatposts ever made, at 188 gms. Only problem is the magnesium head used to break under heavy riders. The Campione handlebar also came in matte finish (except for the counterfeit ones), but fetched a ridiculous $400 price, considering it was probably made in Taiwan.

The problem would be your crank anyway, as I presume you'd use a Campy, which is a glossy finish in worse yet, multidirectional carbon. As most carbon frames are 3K weave, doesn't match. I don't like the look and the 'wafer' arms of the Campy carbon cranks anyway (besides the price), so I put FSA Pro Team carbons on my Colnagos.

Now Deda did come out with a nice matte 3K crank, but it had a funky look - not for everyone. There's a couple on Ebay right now. I even bought the Deda water bottle holders, which are matte finish.

Funny thing though, is Deda never came out with a matte finish stem to match this line of stuff, which was all made in Taiwan. Most their stems at the time were aluminum. However they did make an $$$$ carbon stem in matte; I forget the name, but it has the squarish shaft. Nice 3K weave. They also made one version with flame decals on it. Hard to find now, though. I bought one of these (not the flame one) to go with my Campione bar.

Ouzo Pro also had a bunch of nice matte forks to match all of this stuff, both an Aero fork and a 43 mm rake.

IMO, this is also the problem with the Pinarello Prince from 2008 on: they switched to a micro carbon weave on the frames (7K?), so all the 3K stems, bars, and cranks on the market don't match, matte or glossy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I'll have a chat with my local dealer to see whether the Deda campione handlebar is still available in a matte finish. I checked their site but can't find anything about the finish.
    The stem you are referring to is the Deda Forza.
    Since I have to wait a couple of month for the frame, I haven't decided yet on the group. The best option in my opinion is the Dura Ace DI2 group.

Thanks

Col,Naaa,GOOOOO
    One thing......the tubes..........why not opencorsa cx, schwalbe ht or veloflex all three spank the living daylights out of the Zipps.........

other than that: BRAVO we'll be looking out for the mat black finish......especially on the stem and seat post (personally i wouldn't touch the bars they are taped anyway )
    Colnago C50 WX07 54......
    if you don't fall off, you're not trying hard enough.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I'll have a chat with my local dealer to see whether the Deda campione handlebar is still available in a matte finish. I checked their site but can't find anything about the finish.
    The stem you are referring to is the Deda Forza.
    Since I have to wait a couple of month for the frame, I haven't decided yet on the group. The best option in my opinion is the Dura Ace DI2 group.

Thanks
    Here is a picture of a Forza stem (sans the gaudy flame decals) and Deda water bottle holders.

I guess the Campione bar is still available but prices are pretty ridiculous considering the bar is made in the Far East. Deda is doing a Cinelli here. It's priced as high as $569! Cheapest place is Ribble Cycles but still $268. But isn't it just the thing for a $5,500 frame?

Performance sold a Forte matte seatpost that is basically a Deda Blackstick, but they discontinued it. Your best bet is finding a Blackstick on Ebay. They are pretty common used. There are really no high end options here, except sanding down the gloss of a seatpost of your choice. The Forte seatpost was actually a tad lighter than the Blackstick and at 185 gms, is the lightest 31.7 seatpost I own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C59 Italia - Finally!-de_07_forza_stem_black.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevor
    Here is a picture of a Forza stem (sans the gaudy flame decals) and Deda water bottle holders.

I guess the Campione bar is still available but prices are pretty ridiculous considering the bar is made in the Far East. Deda is doing a Cinelli here. It's priced as high as $569! Cheapest place is Ribble Cycles but still $268. But isn't it just the thing for a $5,500 frame?

Performance sold a Forte matte seatpost that is basically a Deda Blackstick, but they discontinued it. Your best bet is finding a Blackstick on Ebay. They are pretty common used. There are really no high end options here, except sanding down the gloss of a seatpost of your choice. The Forte seatpost was actually a tad lighter than the Blackstick and at 185 gms, is the lightest 31.7 seatpost I own.
    Thanks, but I decided to order a colnago integrated handlebar (as far as I know it is actually a FSA Plasma) and have it redone (sanded and sprayed) by BCP Specialpaint. http://www.specialpaintwork.nl/fotos...pg&cat=TheoBos

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    WOW!!! The stem is to die for.

Hors Categorie
    Jan 2005
    Deda Forza matt carbon stem is available..except please remove those damn stickers
    http://www.totalcycling.com/index.ph...urrency&id=USD

Deda Campione matt carbon bars
    http://www.glorycycles.com/decacarobar.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Deda-Campione-.../dp/B000YBBYDW but price is a rip off

Deda Black Stick matt carbon seatpost
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=5300
    http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/p...-seatpost.aspx

So, the matt carbon stuff is still available... at a price...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iyeoh
    So, the matt carbon stuff is still available... at a price...
    I agree, great stem but it's a 2004 model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I agree, great stem but it's a 2004 model.
    I'm pretty sure that ad from TotalCycling is wrong. Those stems are NOS, as note the limited sizing. Deda isn't making them anymore. I got my stem in 2005, and at the time, there was a choice of plain or with flame decals. They've showed up every so often on Ebay since then, but the plain matte is hard to find these days.

The stem might actually have been made in Italy, since I've never seen (Far East) knockoffs of it. Mine is in 130 mm, which is what I use on Colnagos, and there is a lot of nice, 3K real estate on it. Still don't think the price is justified, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cebu
    Any and all criticisms will be appreciated.
    Ahrrghh, you did it: Defaced that Italian beauty with that fugly Shimano stuff! Didn't they tell you that anything but Campy is illegal on such a bike?

Hors Categorie
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx
    Ahrrghh, you did it: Defaced that Italian beauty with that fugly Shimano stuff! Didn't they tell you that anything but Campy is illegal on such a bike?
    Damn.. I thought I held the franchise for being harsh... you take the cake.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    philosophic moral of the day :

there is always an obnoxier fish
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast