Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Colnago - Picture post thread

840K views 2K replies 454 participants last post by  dpd3672 
#1 ·
I find that Colnagos are some of the most beautiful eye candy on the road--Old & New

So I find it amusing that there is little comprehensive information on makes, models, paint scheme availability etc. Oftentimes the information I find is incomplete, contradictory, or non-existent. History seems to focus on the company and racing teams. I think there was an attempt at www.mycolnago.com but I've not seen any activity on that webpage for months. (Anyone home?)

I also find it surprising that the colnago forum is the only one without a picture thread.
( I searched to no avail)

So I will start one here:

Please post a picture of your Colnago and list some details for our enjoyment.

Example: Year, Paint Scheme, build details

I'd like to see other Colnago Bikes

#5 ·
Here are mine, in acquisition order.

1st 2000 Master X Lite, 57cm

AD20 paint scheme, Chorus build, Campy Electron wheels, Chorus ti post, ITM Milennium bar and stem, Pave saddle.

2nd 2003 Dream Plus, 57cm

GEO paint, Chorus build, unlkike the picture, this one now sports an ITM carbon stem, ITM bar and Ritchey/Hugi wheels, Pave saddle.

3rd 2004 C50, 58cm

PR4 paint, Record build, ITM Milennium bar and stem, Neutron wheels, Pave saddle. Won this bike in a raffle.

#6 ·
Terry...

You kill me with the "won in a raffle" disclaimer! :D

Question - notice any difference in handling between the 57's and the 58? I assume you got the 58 C50 because you won it and didn't have a choice of a smaller size.

Let me know if you ever want to get rid of the Dream. Love the GEO!

#7 ·
My Colnago Dream

From the year 2000. All aluminum.

#8 · (Edited)
Now for something totally different

Earlier this year when I went to Cambiago, Ernesto gave me the crankset that you see here. He told me that he had 5 sets of these cranks made for a time trial bike for Tony Rominger. The right crank and chainrings are made out of billet and are therefore one piece, without any chainring bolts. The whole set-up is super lightweight.

#9 ·
I can't help it, I love chrome lugs.

Colnago Classic 2003, N21 paint, Campy Centar 10 speed, Record seat post, Chorus headset, Deda Magic bar, Newton stem, Fizik Alliante Saddle (blue), Cinelli tape (blue), Velocity Deep V rims (blue), Specialized computer (blue).

#10 ·
dnalsaam said:
Earlier this year when I went to Cambiago, Ernesto gave me the crankset that you see here. He told me that he had 5 sets of these cranks made for a time trial bike for Tony Rominger. The right crank and chainrings are made out of billet and are therefore one piece, without any chainring bolts. The whole set-up is super lightweight.
Those cranks are beautiful. And I know there's an even larger story behind them. I've met a couple of people who have toured the facility and have even been greeted by Ernesto Colnago himself. However, none were given cranks! or anything of historical significance like Tony Rominger's TT specific hardware. Do share more.

I did spy these for sale recently. Although not as historically significant as your cranks, they are legitimate Colnago content. ;)

#11 ·
Squeegy200 said:
Those cranks are beautiful. And I know there's an even larger story behind them. I've met a couple of people who have toured the facility and have even been greeted by Ernesto Colnago himself. However, none were given cranks! or anything of historical significance like Tony Rominger's TT specific hardware. Do share more.

I did spy these for sale recently. Although not as historically significant as your cranks, they are legitimate Colnago content. ;)
The auction cranks are regular Colnago carbon cranks that can be purchased through any authorized Colnago dealer. Nice but costly. When they first came out, they were perhaps the best and nicest available. Since then, others have made ones that were lighter, better and less expensive. The Colnago ones remain the most beautiful in my opinion.

Ernesto is a great fellow and he has always found time for me when I travel to Cambiago. I suppose that part of the reason is that I speak fluent Italian and am passionate about cycling. He then really opened up to me when he found out that I had built some frames myself. He also liked the fact that I asked him to sign the SCIC team jersey that I own. SCIC was the first team that rode exclusively on Colnago bikes in the 1970's and he remains very proud of what he did with that team. Not only did he sign it, he also doodle a neat little Colnago club. The jersey is supposedly one of the team jerseys of Vladimiro Panizza.

#14 ·
oneslowmofo said:
You kill me with the "won in a raffle" disclaimer! :D

Question - notice any difference in handling between the 57's and the 58? I assume you got the 58 C50 because you won it and didn't have a choice of a smaller size.

Let me know if you ever want to get rid of the Dream. Love the GEO!
It's funny, but the 57s feel a bit quicker. Probably in my head, but the C50 feels much more "stable" for the lack of a better word. Maybe it's the CF, maybe it's the size, but for whatever reason both the Dream and the MxL feel faster. Of course, the computer doesn't lie and I'm the same speed on all three of them.

I took the 58 because I am a greedy pork and when I won the bike, there were no 57s in the US. I just didn't want to wait, and at the same time, I was interested in seeing if my original 57 choice was okay. I bought the MxL in 57 before I really understood what I needed in a fit and I always wondered if I had made an error in judgement. The Dream, well it was a bit of a compromise since it was going for a mere $1000 new on eBay. If I was going to buy another one, I'm not sure how I would go. Both sizes work well enough. A 57.5 would be ideal! :D

#15 ·
terry b said:
It's funny, but the 57s feel a bit quicker. Probably in my head, but the C50 feels much more "stable" for the lack of a better word. Maybe it's the CF, maybe it's the size, but for whatever reason both the Dream and the MxL feel faster. Of course, the computer doesn't lie and I'm the same speed on all three of them.

I took the 58 because I am a greedy pork and when I won the bike, there were no 57s in the US. I just didn't want to wait, and at the same time, I was interested in seeing if my original 57 choice was okay. I bought the MxL in 57 before I really understood what I needed in a fit and I always wondered if I had made an error in judgement. The Dream, well it was a bit of a compromise since it was going for a mere $1000 new on eBay. If I was going to buy another one, I'm not sure how I would go. Both sizes work well enough. A 57.5 would be ideal! :D
I've noticed Colnago being the only manufacturer I've encountered that offers sizes available in 1cm increments. Most I've seen are even sizes 54, 56, 58 etc and a few are now offering only Small/Medium/Large.

Is this true for all models in the range? Other manufacturers who also offer 1cm increments?

#17 ·
Your thoughts on the Altain

I love your bike!

I've been considering picking up a used Altain, I'm curious to know how you like it.

If you could provide as much detail as possible about your riding impressions and your riding style, I've be greatly in-debted to you.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

#18 ·
Nice bikes, but I think you need and intervention

Your inventory is breath taking!

I'm jealous.

Which one do you ride the most and are you looking for friends to help you exercise your horses.

:D

#22 ·
EasyRider47 said:
Since someone else started this, here are my Colnagos....in order of acquisition....the last one being my '05 Xmas present.

All have Shimano Dura-Ace, except the C-40 Limited Edition and C-50 (Campy Record) and the Colnago Oval Chrono has Shimano Ultegra.

EasyRider47
A very nice collection I just say! I love the Mapei paint scheme. What model is the bike in the World Champion paint scheme? That's too cool.

#24 ·
solorider said:
I love your bike!

I've been considering picking up a used Altain, I'm curious to know how you like it.

If you could provide as much detail as possible about your riding impressions and your riding style, I've be greatly in-debted to you.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.
I've always wanted a Colnago. I've really felt good with the Italian Geometry compared to the other bikes I've ridden. I've test ridden on Master lights and Conics so I knew I wanted Colnago steel.

The Altain is a later steel model but still has many of the characteristics that made me love the older Colnagos. They are hard to find and not much is available for this unusual model.

I found the Altain comfortable on long rides and its as smooth on the bumps as my Taiwanese Carbon Fiber bike. I like the handling of the straight steel Precisa fork which is confidence inspiring on downhill runs. But I was surpised at how well it climbed. It did not feel muted like my CF bike and maybe its my imagination but I don't feel the need for smaller gearing on the Altain.

One definite difference is the gawking that is common with Colnagos. I always get compliments at organized bicycle events. Nothing like it. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.