Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Colnago - Picture post thread

840K views 2K replies 454 participants last post by  dpd3672 
#1 ·
I find that Colnagos are some of the most beautiful eye candy on the road--Old & New

So I find it amusing that there is little comprehensive information on makes, models, paint scheme availability etc. Oftentimes the information I find is incomplete, contradictory, or non-existent. History seems to focus on the company and racing teams. I think there was an attempt at www.mycolnago.com but I've not seen any activity on that webpage for months. (Anyone home?)

I also find it surprising that the colnago forum is the only one without a picture thread.
( I searched to no avail)

So I will start one here:

Please post a picture of your Colnago and list some details for our enjoyment.

Example: Year, Paint Scheme, build details

I'd like to see other Colnago Bikes

#31 ·
Very nice dpower!

dpower said:
Since we are all sharing...
I'm a fan of the Mapei schemes myself, as I went with the AD10 scheme from the 98/99 seasons. I chose this scheme mostly due to the fact that it shows alot of the carbon. I'm currently debating on which colors to put on the Extreme C I'll be ordering later on this year. I like the WC colors,but would feel a bit funny riding such highly regarded colors.

Oh yeah,I aquired a Dream hp bstay last year in the Geo colors and love the fact that it came out looking full carbon. Here's a couple of pics!

#33 ·
Yup, WC-Mapei special order from Maestro-UK, of course

About 18 months ago, Mike at Maestro took my order for a new C50, and basically let me pick a scheme...any scheme. I had to wait-out the European holiday season for manufacture, spray and delivery...but I'm sure I would have had to wait regardless. I like it; it makes me happy; it was worth the wait; I'd do something similar again and probably will someday.

Plus, I'm from Nashville where most people don't know what the heck a WC color-scheme is. So I only rarely catch grief from those who know to give me grief. From them...like you...I probably deserve it.

Yo, EasyRider...fantastic collection of bikes. Clearly you are not married or you have your wife locked in the basement. How did you put together sucha stable? Personally, the top two are my favorites...especially top right!

#35 ·
Easy

It's hilarious to hear other's stories on how we deal with our wives on the bike issue. I've cycled thru about 12 frames in the last 4 years, many of them being black. I'n not sure if my wife notices the changes but periodically she'll throw a bomb at me like, "yeah right you've only spent 10 grand on your bikes..."

For now, I've got the "black" C50 and a blue and white Cyfac Nerv. The black Parlee is in the box!

#38 · (Edited)
My Colnago "Dream" bike

Here's a picture of my Colango Dream circa 2000. All Campagnolo Record parts. I always build my bikes up myself, that way I can choose all the exact components that I want to have on the bike. Its a continuous evolving process with little upgrades or changes from time to time, year to year. I've used this bike for 5 seasons now. The Canadian winters are usually long and cold so I have lots of extra time to rework the bike for each season... :)
Components list:
Colnago Dream frameset size 58cm C to T (56cm C to C)
paint scheme is Art Decor AD4
Campagnolo Record 10 speed grouppo
Campagnolo Record carbon cranks 175mm 39/53
11-21 Record 10 speed cassette
Wipperman 10 sp chain stainless steel version
Look KEO pedals
Deda Newton stem 13cm
3TTT Prima 199 bars 46cm wide
Fizik Aliante saddle
Campagnolo Neutron wheels

Vittoria Corsa CX tires for the summer ( there is a little tire mix going on in the pic, front wheel changed over to Vittoria Evo CG Pave tire, the back is a regular good weather Corsa Evo CX that still to change. I will use Evo CG Pave tires front and back in the wet and cold early season as they grip the road better in those conditions) I rode Continental 4 Seasons tires last year in the spring months and they were pretty good for the conditions. Interested to see how these Vittoria Evo CG Pave tires perform.

I will be building a new Colnago C50 bike for this year but I think I'll keep this one too. I still think about my nice Colnago Mexico bike from circa 1978-79, should never have sold that one off. I'll look for a pic of it to post. It was all Campagnolo Super Record. I also have a pic somewhere of me with the Merckx hour record bike at my house 1973/74. It was on loan from Colnago for a bike show, I put it together and rode it around the neighborhood. That was kinda cool.

#41 ·
campagnoloneutron said:
Here's a picture of my Colango Dream circa 2000. All Campagnolo Record parts. I always build my bikes up myself, that way I can choose all the exact components that I want to have on the bike. Its a continuous evolving process with little upgrades or changes from time to time, year to year. I've used this bike for 5 seasons now. The Canadian winters are usually long and cold so I have lots of extra time to rework the bike for each season... :)
Components list:
Colnago Dream frameset size 58cm C to T (56cm C to C)
paint scheme is Art Decor AD4
Campagnolo Record 10 speed grouppo
Campagnolo Record carbon cranks 175mm 39/53
11-21 Record 10 speed cassette
Wipperman 10 sp chain stainless steel version
Look KEO pedals
Deda Newton stem 13cm
3TTT Prima 199 bars 46cm wide
Fizik Aliante saddle
Campagnolo Neutron wheels

campagneutron, interesting way to carry your frame pump. have you tried using a mini pump and just putting it in your jersey pocket? I carry a little silca pump in my jersey pocket. its about 5.5 inches long, and probably can pump a tire to about 100 psi, enough to get you home for sure. nice dream, I like the AD color schemes

#44 ·
Fignon's Barber said:
campagneutron, interesting way to carry your frame pump. have you tried using a mini pump and just putting it in your jersey pocket? I carry a little silca pump in my jersey pocket. its about 5.5 inches long, and probably can pump a tire to about 100 psi, enough to get you home for sure. nice dream, I like the AD color schemes
Yes, I have a mini-pump, exactly as you mention BUT I like to carry the big pump for wacking dogs on certain routes... has much more reach... I carry the spare tire/tube rolled up in that same seat tube bottle cage as well. In the summer when is hot out I carry the mini pump and spare tire in my jersey pocket. Then on those long hot rides I use that bottle cage for the second bottle as it is originally intended. I don't like to carry the spare under the seat as I dont think it looks that aesthetically nice hanging there.

#47 · (Edited)
2006 Rabobank C50 Colors

Dies anyone know where there are some real life photos of what the 2006 RB06 paint looks like on the C50 model? I'm not talking about the computer generated frameset pictures which you see on so many dealers websites, but an actual real life photo of the frameset/bike itself?

Any comments on the durability of current Colnago paint versus american manufacturers paint regarding chipping, etc? Thanks

#48 ·
bing181 said:
Wow, so many beautiful bikes .. and beautiful pictures. Here's mine after yesterday's ride. No, not a new paint scheme, mud from the road. Underneath it all is my CT-1.
The bike and setup/position is looking good. Nice to see one with visual evidence of use (the mud)! Bikes are meant to be used. I like to use mine hard too. Good for both the body and the soul. Keep on bikin'!
PS I noticed the cobbles and the building. They sure look Belgian to me...

#50 ·
Bing181, great shots, scooter is looking rugged and riden, love that look.

I still await the President, it was supposed to be here end of January, they are now saying mid March, a very hard wait indeed.

I am moving to Spain, early February, I do not know whether to cancel the order and get the bike in Europe or the USA. If it goes to New Zealand, it will cost me 700 USD to get it to Spain.

Am in a tough spot.

#51 ·
campagnoloneutron said:
Nice to see one with visual evidence of use (the mud)! Bikes are meant to be used. I like to use mine hard too. Good for both the body and the soul. Keep on bikin'!
Yeah, when I look at all these pics of bikes on the Colnago and Pinarello forum: no mud, no chips, no scrapes. Hmmmm, are you guys really riding these things? I have a dream C50 on order from Maestro (it will be a hybrid of Shah's and Dpower's bike), but I'd be a little leery of even riding the thing, due to the cost. Maybe better to drop pocket money of $1500 on a very nice Douglas Fusion from Colorado Cyclist and not having to worry about crashes, scrapes, or scratching the finish while working on the bike.

In regards to the paint currently being used on Colnagos, apparently it's Glassurite, the same as used on Mercedes and BMWs. If it is, it's probably acrylic urethane, which is bulletproof when cured, but I sure hope the painters are using supplied air respirators or at the minimum, half-masks with organic vapor cartridges. Urethanes contain isocyanates, which are nasty stuff and can cause respiratory sensitization in susceptible individuals. The base color scheme, e.g., airbrushing, is probably done using less durable paint, and maybe the clear coat is Glassurite. This will certainly solve the chipping problem. It's entirely possible Ernesto has responded to previous complaints of chipping in this manner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.