Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Colnago - Picture post thread

840K views 2K replies 454 participants last post by  dpd3672 
#1 ·
I find that Colnagos are some of the most beautiful eye candy on the road--Old & New

So I find it amusing that there is little comprehensive information on makes, models, paint scheme availability etc. Oftentimes the information I find is incomplete, contradictory, or non-existent. History seems to focus on the company and racing teams. I think there was an attempt at www.mycolnago.com but I've not seen any activity on that webpage for months. (Anyone home?)

I also find it surprising that the colnago forum is the only one without a picture thread.
( I searched to no avail)

So I will start one here:

Please post a picture of your Colnago and list some details for our enjoyment.

Example: Year, Paint Scheme, build details

I'd like to see other Colnago Bikes

#52 ·
campagnoloneutron said:
The bike and setup/position is looking good. Nice to see one with visual evidence of use (the mud)! PS I noticed the cobbles and the building. They sure look Belgian to me...
Well spotted ... central Brussels, that's real Belgian mud there. Our street is cobbled, so I get plenty of practice. In winter and through the day during the week I ride out and back down the Brussels-Charleroi canal for as far as I feel like. Sealed canal path .. no cars (which is great), but it goes through a few industrial areas (like all canals I suppose), and there are always lots of trucks around .. and lots of mud. Which ends up all over the bike and me.

I'd love my bike to look all clean and beautiful of course, but .. this time of the year, nothing else to do. I wouldn't mind a beater bike, but why do it when this one feels so wonderful.

#54 ·
Pre-B Stay Rabobank C40

The only bike that could've made me part with my custom titanium Holland, painted by Joe Bell, was this particular C40. Star fork, Colnago carbon post, Record 10 and blue Velocity rims on American Classic hubs. Bike is under 15 pounds with the Lew carbons on it. This is still my favorite paint job on any bike.

#55 ·
Velocity rims

useyourdagger said:
blue Velocity rims on American Classic hubs.
As we all know, Nags tend to draw alot of attention because of their unique paint. Add a set of matching Velocity rims and folks can't help but stare.

#56 ·
My C40

The pic on the wall was in my old house where I displayed it as the artwork that it is. Other pic is current. Guy I bought this from said it was a 2000 model, but I think it's a 1997 or 98. Can anybody say for sure?

By the way - best thread on RBR!

#58 ·
here's mine, a c40 b-stay with record...still clean b/c it was right after i put her together. i try not to ride this bike in crappy weather, but i have to say that there is something about flying along a rough road in the cold rain on this bike that makes me wish i was good enough to race the classics (which are WAY better than the tour, imo)!

#62 ·
it's an older version of LX14, which is now discontinued but still available if you know the right people! the trialtir example is http://www.trialtir-usa.com/2006-colnago/colors/c40-hp/c40hp-lx14.html, which is what i assumed i would be getting as all of the LX14 frames i had seen (used to work in a shop that carried colnagos) looked very similar, with a yellow/orangy pink fade. the orangy color wasn't my favorite, but i got a great deal on the frame sight unseen from the maestro (who RULES), so i took it. i was very excited to find that my frame seems to be an older version with an yellow/orange fade (i later found a catalogue from 2002 that showed a very similar scheme). i also really like the black outline "colnago" on the down tube, but then again, i'm a little biased! this is still my favorite paint scheme, with the possible exception of the GEO, which looks horrendous on the web but is absolutely stunning in person...

#65 ·
Here's mine

I call it the ran out of money or Colnrly build. The price fell by $1000-all the way into my price range- with these changes from stock:

Steel Surly fork instead of Colnago carbon fork

My Selle Italia Max saddle for Colnago Hoskar. (The dealer-Gary at Bici Bike in San Jose CA- included a take-off Nitrox saddle to put on my old bike that I was selling.)

No cranks: I bought TruVativ cranks on ebay to replace the Veloce triple cranks.

Salsa Pro Road 46cm handlebar. Dealer put a new ITM 44cm on the old bike for me to sell.

Tires: The Maxxis tires pictured. I have since worn them out and now use Continental Ultra Gatorskin 25mm tires. Dealer put new tires on the bike I sold.

Wheels: Original Ambrosio wheels instead of the G3's that were on it. Actually these wheels are just OK-I may sell them and have some 36-spoke wheels built.

The dealer included the labor to switch out these parts and a fitting session that took about an hour. I give him credit for working out this whole deal with me.

#66 ·
Ladies & gents, I know this is premature, but she just arrived & I am too excited to not share; I will only post this one until she is built, so please indulge me. This is an 05, NOS dream cross. You can't get them any more, only the scandium is available. I have wanted one for more than 3 years, I finally convinced myself you only live once.

#71 ·
'82 Super (?) and '04 C50

I've had the C50 for just over a year and I'm finally done tweaking it. 2004 with 2005 full Record. Total joy to ride.
I got the Super (?) late last year. 1982 Super Record, not sure on the frame year. I found it hanging in somebody's garage on a painting job I was doing and traded a few hundred bucks worth of labor for it. I replaced the Cinelli stem and bar (different sizes) and levers (it had white Modolo Krono's) and I'm still in the process of cleaning all the little nooks and crannies. Sure does ride nice for an old gal.

#75 ·
Bonked said:
no such thing as a meager contribution...especially when you get major retro points for having an extra tubie under your seat!
Ah now if I were really retro I would wrap it in a figure 8 around my shoulders like the real old timers used to. Yes, back in the day when men were men. I've tried that a couple of times and what can I say, it's much more comfy folding it up under the saddle. :D

#76 ·
This is the wife's bike

I was building this for my wife. She's always wanted one so now she will get one of her own.

Those with a keen eye will see this one isn't complete.
But I thought I'd take pics as it should be done today and taken out for its first voyage. It will never be this clean again. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.