Hi everyone,

Thinking seriously about buying my first carbon frame, probably a Colnago
    Extreme Power. I am riding a Principia Ellipse SX 55 cm:
    Top tube 55.4 cm
    Seat tube: 74
    Head tube: 13.3 cm
    Stem: 11 cm.
    Saddle set back: 4.5 cm
    I find my self being comfortable a little bit like in the middle of my Regal, feeling I should sit more upright ( neck pain...)
    I have been trying to understand bike geometries and I guess a 54 cm traditional geometry Extreme Power could fit me well.
    Any help, opinion, suggestion would be appreciated. I do not want to go wrong with
    this one...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I have a 20 mm spacer right now but i thought that being closer to the bars, these can be also a little bit more down... does it make sense? would a 110 mm stem too short for a Colnago weight distribution?

Hucken The Fard Up !
    if you are currently riding a 55.4 top tube, probably a 54 would fit you well but that would mean a long stem and a low handlebars

both my bikes are a 54 with 54cm top tubes, set up with 12mm stem and only one spacer it gives you a good fit with ~55cm hub-handlebars, and handlebars-saddle measurements

this is not a comfort fit, you have to be low and if you have neck pain on a sloping bike, you would need training and a dose of HTFU on the Colnago
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    it is not a matter of stem absolute lenght, but more about the frame size, how it is fitted and how agressive is your riding position.

My first EP came with a short stem and 2.5mm spacers under it. it was comfortable but didn't feel right.

I removed the spacers and put a longer stem. Now it is a lot better, but this also puts you lower and then you have to have a flexible back to be sit properly.

This however is something you can develop by training.

Keep in mind that the EP is a racing frame, not a comfort frame. you can set it up for comfort but it won't be "right" IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.