FTP testing

Good price for a used C59 frameset?

Found a used C59 frameset locally that is a real C59 (not a fake) and appears to still be in good shape overall. Has a few knicks and scuffs in the paint from use. Seller is asking $1500. Most C59s on eBay seem to go for around $2k from what I have seen. Any reason to not get it for $1500?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'd say half of what it costs new if its in good condition is a fair price -- so given that they went for a bit more than $3000 new, that's not a bad price. You can get a new C60 frame for around $4500.

My wife and I had our C40's refurbished by this guy in North Carolina (Jack Kane). For around $400, he'll touch up paint chips (the paint matched 100%) and redo the clear coat. The frames looked brand new when we got them back. He turned them around in just a few weeks. I put new components and wheels on them and it's like having a new bike.

FTP testing
    Thanks for the heads up. I guess that is always an option but $400 to touch up some paint chips seems steep when you can get a full frame professional paint job for around that much.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I think $1500 sounds good if in good shape. I shopped around for a C59 for a while with a price point of $2K but couldn't find one in my size at that price, although I have seen a couple lately. I ended up getting a good deal on a EPS.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I guess that is always an option but $400 to touch up some paint chips seems steep when you can get a full frame professional paint job for around that much.
    It was a lot more than just touching up the paint. He sanded all the clear coat off and put a new coat on. The frame really looked brand new. I also had some repair work done (replacing some cable guides). Would you pay $1900 for a brand new C-59 frame?
    Last edited by pmf; 07-25-2017 at 06:03 AM.

FTP testing
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I think $1500 sounds good if in good shape. I shopped around for a C59 for a while with a price point of $2K but couldn't find one in my size at that price, although I have seen a couple lately. I ended up getting a good deal on a EPS.
    A EPS or EPQ have also been on my list. But if I can get a C59, I think I prefer that. What did you get your EPS for?

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    It was a lot more than just touching up the paint. He sanded all the clear coat off and put a new coat on. The frame really looked brand new. I also had some repair work done (replacing some cable guides). Would you pay $1900 for a brand new C-59 frame?
    Didn't realize he also did some repair work as part of that. Did you go with the same color as the original or did you have him do a different paint scheme?

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The repair work was replacing five cable guides at $50 each. Several of them were corroded. The paint touch up and new clear coat was another $400. He did not change the underlying paint. Apparently the old clear coat gets sanded off, leaving the paint job and then reapplied. I was kind of confused at first too. I didn't want the bike repainted. $400 will get you a pretty basic paint job. Maybe that's worth exploring. One thing I don't like about the more recent Colnagos is the paint jobs they offer. They're pretty boring -- basically look like decals. I see they're offering the C-60 in Mapeii colors. That would be fun to own.

Yes, it was a little expensive, but I figure how often do you have your bike stripped down to just the frame? I replaced everything on the bike except the seat post, saddle and pedals to the tune of $2000+ -- why not spend $400 to get the frame looking new again. See my post here on C-40 restoration.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
    A EPS or EPQ have also been on my list. But if I can get a C59, I think I prefer that. What did you get your EPS for?

Didn't realize he also did some repair work as part of that. Did you go with the same color as the original or did you have him do a different paint scheme?
    I got it on eBay for $2k complete bike with Super Record 11. When researching it seems people like the C59 better than the EPS but I've been happy with it.

FTP testing
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I got it on eBay for $2k complete bike with Super Record 11. When researching it seems people like the C59 better than the EPS but I've been happy with it.
    That is a steal. Congrats.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Thanks,

Gratuitous picture. It came with Campy Zondas, a nice wheelset btw.

@pmf. I remember your C40 thread, I might have commented there. There are a few bikes that are worth sinking serious money into restoring and the C40 is one of those. When I ride mine, I still think, "they could have stopped making bikes after this one".

I just spent a couple hundred bucks on some restoration work on a '86 De Rosa Professional. I'm thinking it will be worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good price for a used C59 frameset?-img_6171.jpg