Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Just finished building my CX-1.

I just finished up the build on my Colnago CX-1. I plan on making a few changes before Spring but for the time being it is complete. Better pictures will come later.

Frameset - Colnago CX-1
    Wheels - Psimet 50mm carbon rims w/ White Industry Hubs
    Stem - FSA OS190 - to be upgraded later
    Handlebar - RaceFace Revolution - possibly upgraded later
    Seatpost - Colnago carbon
    Saddle - Selle Italia SLR
    Brakes - Planet-X CNC
    Bottom Bracket - TruVativ GXP
    Crankset - SRAM Quarq compact
    Front Der - SRAM Force
    Rear Der - SRAM Force
    Cassette - Shimano 105 12/27 - to be upgraded later
    Chain - KNC X10 Gold
    Cables and Housing- Gore Ride On
    Cages - Elite Custom
    Pedals - Speedplay Zero Stainless

dan5472
    Sharp. What tires you running?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan5472
    Sharp. What tires you running?
    Thanks. They are Continental 4000's.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Nice! Waiting for my CX-1 frame..
    Is that a 52?
    What computer are you going to use with the powermeter?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson00
    Nice! Waiting for my CX-1 frame..
    Is that a 52?
    What computer are you going to use with the powermeter?
    Thanks and yes, it is a 52. I will be using my Garmin 705 with the Quarq.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Nice bike.

Nice aquarium too. Those live plants and discus in there? What size tank?
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman
    Nice bike.

Nice aquarium too. Those live plants and discus in there? What size tank?
    Thank you. The majority of the plants are fake. It is just a 55 gallon with a single red devil. My larger tanks are in another room, they are 210 gallon and 300 gallon Central American cichlid tanks.

Maybe Next Year
    Nice Psimets and a great build. Enjoy!
    The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. - Jack London

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyRoadie
    Nice Psimets and a great build. Enjoy!
    Thank you. I'll get to take it for it's first ride one of these days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Taking it for it's first ride tomorrow, finally!

[/QUOTE]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    [QUOTE=LowCel]Taking it for it's first ride tomorrow, finally!

I am betting you will be very happy with the ride and handling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarly 928
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel
    Taking it for it's first ride tomorrow, finally!

I am betting you will be very happy with the ride and handling.
    You are absolutely correct, it was awesome. Definitely one of the nicest bikes I have ever ridden.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A few new pictures of the old girl.

Climbin' Clyde
    Like. I'd rather have a CX-1 than a C59 Italia, but I'm like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LowCel View Post
    A few new pictures of the old girl.

Beautiful bike and nice pics!

Was about to purchase a 2011 sale priced Felt F 5 to replace a road bike I left back in Hawaii but ended up test driving a Colnago CX-1 and made a somewhat impulsive, mid life decision to throw down the additional $ for it instead.

I've always wanted a Colnago and despite this one being mfg in pac asia with other carbon makes, I am still seduced by the allure of the Colnago brand. The great look of the bike (imho) along with the brief test ride, + reviews, helps to assure that I made a good choice.

Mine will be a size 48, 2011 model in the black color w/ the stock Ultegra drivetrain build from Sportsbasement in Walnut Creek CA. The Ultegra 6700 is a nice stuff Im already thinking that I may swap it out for Record 11.

Was told it would be a few weeks from the distribution channel to their store...
    viewing your pics and other pics on this forum will help tie me over during the wait
    Last edited by enr1co; 08-25-2011 at 06:49 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I demo'd a 2011 CX-1 Evo with SRAM Red last night and was really impressed.

I took it for a 70k ride and it handled beautifully yet still absorbed the road vibration better than my five year old Trek 5000 (TCT). The bike was a close fit for me and if I were to purchase likely just need to shorten the stem a little. It was extremely comfortable in the drops. I'd probably like a little bit of a lighter wheel as well.

I was also surprised how good the SRAM Red was. I had a somewhat poor experience with a previous demo that had SRAM Force, but I suspect it was simply not tuned as well.

Now the dilemma. Do I wait for the 2012's so I can demo one with Ultregra di2 or do I try and negotiate a deal on this existing 2011 with SRAM Red.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just finished building my CX-1.-colnago.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    I demo'd a 2011 CX-1 Evo with SRAM Red last night and was really impressed.

I took it for a 70k ride and it handled beautifully yet still absorbed the road vibration better than my five year old Trek 5000 (TCT). The bike was a close fit for me and if I were to purchase likely just need to shorten the stem a little. It was extremely comfortable in the drops. I'd probably like a little bit of a lighter wheel as well.

I was also surprised how good the SRAM Red was. I had a somewhat poor experience with a previous demo that had SRAM Force, but I suspect it was simply not tuned as well.

Now the dilemma. Do I wait for the 2012's so I can demo one with Ultregra di2 or do I try and negotiate a deal on this existing 2011 with SRAM Red.....
    The poor Force experience may likely have been attributed to bad tuning. Most SRAM, ( Red, Force, Rival) Ive experienced, feels quick and accurate. I currently run Red shifters with a Force rear and am very pleased and impressed with the feel, performance.

I would try to get a deal on that existing 2011 / Red equipped CX-1 you pictured- it looks great and you're dialed in and rolling with just a stem swap - that's me since I have no delay gratification- the few weeks wait time for mine is killing me ;)

Additionally, a new 2012 with new Di Ultegra is not likely going to be discounted much. The $ saved on a 2011 unit could possibly fund Di on its own or a wheel upgrade from those stock Aksiums.
    Last edited by enr1co; 08-25-2011 at 10:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
    The poor Force experience may likely have been attributed to bad tuning. Most SRAM, ( Red, Force, Rival) Ive experienced, feels quick and accurate. I currently run Red shifters with a Force rear and am very pleased and impressed with the feel, performance.

I would try to get a deal on that existing 2011 / Red equipped CX-1 you pictured- it looks great and you're dialed in and rolling with just a stem swap - that's me since I have no delay gratification- the few weeks wait time for mine is killing me ;)

Additionally, a new 2012 with new Di Ultegra is not likely going to be discounted much. The $ saved on a 2011 unit could possibly fund Di on its own or a wheel upgrade from those stock Aksiums.
    Decided to take your advice and was able to negotiate a very fair price on the 2011 CX-1 Evo. I ended up getting a set of Speedplay Zero titanium pedals and Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels to round out the package. On Saturday I'm going to go in for a fitting and then should be out on the road shortly thereafter. Can't wait!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Decided to take your advice and was able to negotiate a very fair price on the 2011 CX-1 Evo. I ended up getting a set of Speedplay Zero titanium pedals and Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels to round out the package. On Saturday I'm going to go in for a fitting and then should be out on the road shortly thereafter. Can't wait!
    Cool- Congrats on the purchase! The SL wheelset will bring the already great ride experience to another level!

Did they include the Garmin 800 shown in the pic or was that already yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    You can't like a CX-1....don'tcha know? It's not Eye-talian. It ain't got lugs. Stupid Asian piece of crap!

(I have one, too and I like mine)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
    Cool- Congrats on the purchase! The SL wheelset will bring the already great ride experience to another level!

Did they include the Garmin 800 shown in the pic or was that already yours?
    The Garmin 800 was bought separately. I had been using a Garmin 500 but I gave it to my wife for her new bike. The 800 is nice and I'm still learning some of the features. It's fun using it to create routes and then going back and racing myself.

I'm still waiting for my red titanium Speedplays to arrive. Hopefully have them next week. I'm using my old chromoly Speedplays for now. During the bike fitting we shortened the stem down to 90mm. They did not have a 90 mm Colnago/FSA stem in the shop so they put on a cheap 90 mm stem for now while he tried to track me down a proper Colnago one.

The bike definitely feels fast on the road. I ran a few of my favorite routes and was 2 km/hr quicker according to Garmin than my previous best with Trek 5000. Not too shabby. Some of it may be due to more aero positioning in the drops. The ride on the Colnago is so smooth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarly 928 View Post
    You can't like a CX-1....don'tcha know? It's not Eye-talian. It ain't got lugs. Stupid Asian piece of crap!

(I have one, too and I like mine)
    LOL!
    Just finished putting together my new It-tai-lian Col-tai-nago and squeezed in 50 miles/ 5000 feet of climbing this past Labor day weekend- definitely light and snappy feeling on the ascent and rock solid responsive going down.

Frameset - 11' Colnago CX-1, size 48
    Wheels - Mavic Ksyrium SL Premium (2009) with Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 700x25
    Stem - Ritchey carbon matrix 9 cm
    Handlebar - Ritchey Comp 42 c-c
    Saddle - Fizik Antares
    Brakes - Colnago X brake 1
    Bottom Bracket - SRAM GXP
    Crankset - SRAM Force Compact 50/34 T 172.5
    Front Der - Ultegra 6700
    Rear Der - SRAM Force
    Cassette - Campagnolo12/26
    Chain - Shimano Ultegra
    Cables and Housing- Shimano
    Pedals - Some SPDs ( to go with my off road Sidi's that fit currently )
    Current weight - 16.04 lbs on my park digital scale

Purchased it with the factory Ultegra build but immediately pulled most of it to sell off(except for the front deraileur and chain) and replaced it with my SRAM Force drivetrain and Red Levers from my Ibis Hakkalugi CX bike. Will save up my food stamps for a couple months and rebuild with Campy 11 and place the SRAM back on my Lugi'.
    Last edited by enr1co; 09-07-2011 at 12:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    The Garmin 800 was bought separately. I had been using a Garmin 500 but I gave it to my wife for her new bike. The 800 is nice and I'm still learning some of the features. It's fun using it to create routes and then going back and racing myself.

I'm still waiting for my red titanium Speedplays to arrive. Hopefully have them next week. I'm using my old chromoly Speedplays for now. During the bike fitting we shortened the stem down to 90mm. They did not have a 90 mm Colnago/FSA stem in the shop so they put on a cheap 90 mm stem for now while he tried to track me down a proper Colnago one.

The bike definitely feels fast on the road. I ran a few of my favorite routes and was 2 km/hr quicker according to Garmin than my previous best with Trek 5000. Not too shabby. Some of it may be due to more aero positioning in the drops. The ride on the Colnago is so smooth.
    I also needed a 90 mm stem but the shop offered a swap of the Colnago stock 100mm for a Ritchey Matrix stem + nominal upcharge. It has a carbon weave which I thought went well with the frame. It would have been nice to get a shorter Colnago/FSA stem but figured, one less "Colnago" name on the bike wouldnt hurt ;)

The stock 40 c-c Colnago carbon finish/ aluminum bars also had to go as they were just too narrow. I had some 42 c-c Ritchey bars in the garage to match the stem and will just sell off the Colnago bars.

The bike does feel faster than a Time frame I was riding - it also helps that I've logged a little more saddle time over the past couple of months

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    The Ritchie stems looks very nice on the bike. I might need to consider that. I'm still waiting to hear back on the Colnago stem for local shop. Once I have all the parts together I'll post some updated pics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Frameset - 11' Colnago CX-1, size 48
    Wheels - Mavic Ksyrium SL Premium (2009) with Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 700x25
    Stem - Ritchey carbon matrix 9 cm
    Handlebar - Ritchey Comp 42 c-c
    Saddle - Fizik Antares
    Brakes - Colnago X brake 1
    Bottom Bracket - SRAM GXP
    Crankset - SRAM Force Compact 50/34 T 172.5
    Front Der - Ultegra 6700
    Rear Der - SRAM Force
    Cassette - Campagnolo12/26
    Chain - Shimano Ultegra
    Cables and Housing- Shimano
    Pedals - Some SPDs ( to go with my off road Sidi's that fit currently )
    Current weight - 16.04 lbs on my park digital scale

[/QUOTE]
    Can I ask how tall you are? Perhaps inseam? I just built myself CX1 but my frame size is 50s. I am almost 5'8 with an inseam of 31.1". I am really hoping this bike will fit like a glove, but am thinking a smaller size would be better? My first road bike, which i bought 3 years ago is a Lemond Buenos Aires and it is a whopping 55cm (in Trek terms). I am thinking this bike will be like a Trek 54 (in general terms)
    I just completed the build tonight and have not even ridden it yet!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast