Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M10 vs. c59

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

M10 vs. c59

Really want one of these. can't afford both (or either for that matter) Any ideas what the difference is in ride or stiffness?

Hucken The Fard Up !
    no idea, but usually the Monocoque will be stiffer and better for climbing and sprinting.
    the lugged one is much better for overall riding, and on traditional even better.

If most of your riding is climbing high gradients or sprinting to a line, then get the M10 otherwise the C59 is the best for everything else.

this is a nice example, but I would prefer it more colorful

Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Well hopefully more knowledgeable folks will correct me if I'm wrong, but...

The M10 is similar to many other bikes out there, built in factory in Taiwan or China. You could get bikes from more than half a dozen companies which are very, very comparable. You just get the Colnago name.

The C59 is hand made in Italy, the only outsourcing being Colnago's purchase of high quality carbon tubes manufactured in Japan by one of the best carbon manufacturers in the business. It is quite simply one of those bikes with attributes that has made Colnago famous.

I would not knock the M10, I'm sure it is a great bike, but there are many great monocoque bikes out there if that is what you are looking for. However, there are not very many carbon tube lugged bikes hand made in a smaller factory in Italy by a group of folks who dedicate their lives and careers to cycling.

But I'm biased. I ride a C59. There is a reason I chose it, however, and I absolutely love the bike.

Time to go ride...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I live in Germany........just ordered a Master X Light from a shop in the states....I will buy a C59 directly from Colnago since it's only a 6 hour drive from where I live...before I depart Germany.....then I'l be done buying bicycles....:-)......I really hope to meet Earnesto in person while in Italy......

Singlespeeder
    Jan 2007
    Last edited by Streetking; 02-05-2012 at 08:48 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majorbanjo View Post
    I live in Germany........just ordered a Master X Light from a shop in the states....I will buy a C59 directly from Colnago since it's only a 6 hour drive from where I live...before I depart Germany.....then I'l be done buying bicycles....:-)......I really hope to meet Earnesto in person while in Italy......
    Hey majorbanjo! You are lucky guy living in Germany! My wife and I are considering going there for a few years. I'd prefer Italy or France, but then Germany.

I want a Molteni, Saronni, or the classic white (PR99). I saw that you are getting a PR99! Please post tons of pictures when you get her done. I think that is my all-time favorite Colnago paint scheme. But my Master XL will have to wait until after I get the number one frame on my wishlist- a De Rosa Neo Primato in Faema!

Ride On!
    Last edited by Ride-Fly; 02-05-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

EPS vs M10

Would you build up a new 2010 EPS frame or a 2012 M10 frame?

That is my current dilemma because they are around the same price...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlin View Post
    Would you build up a new 2010 EPS frame or a 2012 M10 frame?

That is my current dilemma because they are around the same price...
    Depends on what you will be doing with it.

Centuries and Fondos get the EPS.

Crits and shorter rides, do the M10.

EPS Made in Italy. External cabling. Lugged construction.

M10 Made in Taiwan. Internal Cables. Monocoque construction.

Originally I wanted a EPS, then a M10 but decided against it in favor of a made in Italy Colnago. The EPS didnt have any internal cabling.

I had a EPQ on order but changed it to a C59.

EPQ didnt have an internal routed top tube and was all round tubes. C59 has master tubing which is all internal routed.

I don't think you will be unhappy in either event but I do think the EPS would be more comfortable and is made in Italy, if that matters to you.
    Last edited by carbonLORD; 02-07-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    [QUOTE=Gatorback;3762173]Well hopefully more knowledgeable folks will correct me if I'm wrong, but...

The M10 is similar to many other bikes out there, built in factory in Taiwan or China. You could get bikes from more than half a dozen companies which are very, very comparable. You just get the Colnago name.

I think you're wrong here...I ride an eastern Colnago...CX-1. It's a Colnago and superior to anything else I've ridden... I rode all kinds of other made in the east bikes, very high enders and also a few high end lugged carbon frames from other European-badged builders. The monoque frame from Colnago has Colnago quality and engineering and depth of experience in spades, and it rides and races exceptionally well. It is not a Giant with a Colnago label, it's a modern Colnago made in the Global world, but speced and engineered by Colnago and it's quality comes through.

I would not knock the M10, I'm sure it is a great bike, but there are many great monocoque bikes out there if that is what you are looking for.

Wrong again....You should ride one of the "other" Colnagos before you lump them in with all the bikes built in the east. Yes, there are plenty of 'adequate' bikes available made in the East. There are some that are even very good...but the Colnago eastern bikes are outstanding, just like the Italian ones. And they are designed and built, from the ground up, making Carbon fiber's engineering strengths come out to the best performance levels. Copying steel's shapes and following the build practices used to weld that material together in carbon....that seems a bit silly, seems to leave a lot...'on the table'... Like building a stealth fighter from carbon fiber 'replica' aluminum sheets and riveting it together...

Anyway, all Colnagos seem superior to most others. In my humble opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorback View Post

The C59 is hand made in Italy, the only outsourcing being Colnago's purchase of high quality carbon tubes manufactured in Japan by one of the best carbon manufacturers in the business. It is quite simply one of those bikes with attributes that has made Colnago famous.

I would not knock the M10, I'm sure it is a great bike, but there are many great monocoque bikes out there if that is what you are looking for. However, there are not very many carbon tube lugged bikes hand made in a smaller factory in Italy by a group of folks who dedicate their lives and careers to cycling.

But I'm biased. I ride a C59. There is a reason I chose it, however, and I absolutely love the bike.

Time to go ride...
    My friend got the Colnago M10 and loves the overall ride. The Colnago M10 is Made in Taiwan, there's nothing wrong with bikes Made in Taiwan. I just wouldn't buy a bike Made in Mainland China.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey Gnarly, always good to hear your opinion on the eastern Colnagos. I respect your opinion because of your racing experience and also your saddle time on lots of other high-end bikes. What are your impressions between lugged and monocoque? I think I remember that you had a Time or Look?

Anyways, I'm a huge colnago fan. Wouldn't mind a CX-1 or an M10!!!
    Ordered and Fitted for my Custom DEAN Titanium frame on Sept 17th, 2008. Finally got it in Oct, 2010!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride-Fly View Post
    Hey Gnarly, always good to hear your opinion on the eastern Colnagos. I respect your opinion because of your racing experience and also your saddle time on lots of other high-end bikes. What are your impressions between lugged and monocoque? I think I remember that you had a Time or Look?

Anyways, I'm a huge colnago fan. Wouldn't mind a CX-1 or an M10!!!
    I had a Look and a Time. Scott and Orbea. Ridleys.. Trek and C-dale. Steel and Ti...more that I don't recall right now. I was entertaining myself buying frames and swapping on my components and riding them for a bit till the next one appealed to me. Until I settled pretty much on the CX-1 that our team was riding a few years back....I pretty much tried all the bikes, and the CX-1 is my keeper. If I could afford it, I'd like to try an M-10 for a bit sometime.

I dunno, I guess maybe there isn't a huge difference in the performance of a lugged Colnago vs a molded one, though many of the pros seem to think there is. I am certainly not strong or competative enough to be able to say..."Oh ****, this C-59 is not taking all the power I can put into it..." or anything close to that. But I can, or so I imagine, feel very connected to the earth with my molded Colnago, no matter what the situation, the pavement condition, the steepness of the climb or descent, etc etc....so I like it as the best frame I have found....and I kinda stopped looking now, for anything better....

It just makes no sense to me, as someone who's worked with carbon and makes lottsa weight-critical stuff....sailboats, boards, racecar parts, etc....it makes no sense to make a replica of a metal tube and stick it into a replica of a metal frame lug, thereby adding an joint that isn't really needed (and a concentration of the forces involved) and overlapping these metal-duplicate parts to insure the parts don't seperate and that the forces don't break either the replica metal parts or the bonded joint... And then charge a rather large Premium for the bike, this 'old timey" assembly of the many various parts you've copied, in carbon, from the parts you "used to always use" when metal was the best building material available for bikes.

The CX-1, by the way, is actually stuck together with two main parts and I guess it is a 'semi-lug' frame with the lugs for the rear triangle being molded right into the front main monoque structure...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorback View Post

Time to go ride...

Colnago M10 is Made in Taiwan and Colnago C59 is Made in Italy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    You may get an M10 much quicker than a C59. I ordered a C59 traditional at the end of July from Maestro. Just got an email from Mike today saying that there has been a delay due to supply problems with the carbon lugsets and tubes from Japan. He has delays on both sloping and traditional frames (they sell 2:1 sloping:traditional) and he has no idea when I'll receive the frame- all he can say is the distributor he uses is pressing for Colnago to clear the backlog.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingvet View Post
    You may get an M10 much quicker than a C59. I ordered a C59 traditional at the end of July from Maestro. Just got an email from Mike today saying that there has been a delay due to supply problems with the carbon lugsets and tubes from Japan. He has delays on both sloping and traditional frames (they sell 2:1 sloping:traditional) and he has no idea when I'll receive the frame- all he can say is the distributor he uses is pressing for Colnago to clear the backlog.
    First I've heard of this. I ordered my C59 in November and it was on schedule and being painted, should be here any day now. I'll have to contact my rep tomorrow and see whats going on. Inventory list shows plenty of slopers available in all sizes currently. Hoping to get mine before the end of month.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    First I've heard of this. I ordered my C59 in November and it was on schedule and being painted, should be here any day now. I'll have to contact my rep tomorrow and see whats going on. Inventory list shows plenty of slopers available in all sizes currently. Hoping to get mine before the end of month.
    What are you guys ordering? I decided to go with the c59 GDBL and got it in two days. Are you going with custom geometry or something?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j.knight View Post
    What are you guys ordering? I decided to go with the c59 GDBL and got it in two days. Are you going with custom geometry or something?
    It was probably in stock.

I changed my order from a 56s EPQ to a 60 traditional C59 in MTBK.

There is a 61 MTBK in stock, but I'm holding out for what I originally ordered.

There is also a NERO 56 sloper in stock and boy is it tempting, but, I've waited this long and the season is still far enough that I can wait some more, (besides I do have my existing BMC Team Machine for that sudden day anyway).
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I ordered a 57 Traditional Europcar colour. I do know that Maestro never makes promises on delivery but it would appear his distributor in Belgium is not getting as good a deal from Colnago as others?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingvet View Post
    Just got a call that mine is ready for pick-up! Going to get it tomorrow!

My contact said Maestro is selling gray market frames. might be why they have delayed your order. Just what I heard but the source is as reliable as they come.

I'll be sure to post pictures as she progresses.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by j.knight View Post
    Really want one of these. can't afford both (or either for that matter) Any ideas what the difference is in ride or stiffness?
    I have no experience of the M10, but I can tell you the C59 is THE stiffest frame I have ever ridden, THE bike of choice right now imo .....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Why don't you try Wrench Science and ask for Brian. You can also try RA Cycles and I know they got a lot of Colnago C59 in stock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Maestro seems to have the best prices for a US based person. Where else are people buying that are NOT gray market (If maestro is at all)?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Regarding the M10. I think its one of the most uninspiring Colnago frames to date. A far east made frame with no Italian flair. Isn't it made by Giant? To be honest, if it didn't have the words COLNAGO on the frame, most wouldn't give it a second glance.

However the C59..........that's a different game all together!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by varian72 View Post
    Maestro seems to have the best prices for a US based person. Where else are people buying that are NOT gray market (If maestro is at all)?
    Colnago America...

In Chicago we have 3 colnago dealers, plus the fact that Colnago America is also located in Chicago helps.

Gray market is gray market, caveat emptor.
    carbonLORD.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonLORD View Post
    Colnago America...

In Chicago we have 3 colnago dealers, plus the fact that Colnago America is also located in Chicago helps.

Gray market is gray market, caveat emptor.
    So....with a $2000 premium in the US you get what vs ordering from overseas?

Warranty?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast