Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008

Master X Lite Tubing

I'm sure I'm behind the curve here, but I've just noticed that the frame is now made from "Colnago DT-15V Steel" dropping the word Columbus. Does anyone know if that means that the tubing is no longer drawn by Columbus? And if not who is the current supplier?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    See my response below!
    Last edited by WrenchScienceCliff; 02-17-2010 at 10:15 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for that. I think that they should have left a Columbus sticker on it though.......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Agreed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Columbus is no longer providing any tubes - "their" tube are made in Asia. Columbus as it was known - does no longer exsist. Unfortunatelly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mj3200
    Thanks for that. I think that they should have left a Columbus sticker on it though.......

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by ComesAtime
    Current Master XL's don't have that.

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCUSA
    Columbus is no longer providing any tubes - "their" tube are made in Asia. Columbus as it was known - does no longer exsist. Unfortunatelly.
    Got any proof or should we just take your word?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    My guess is tha BMC USA might just know a bit more about Colnago than, well, anyone in North America and likely more than alot of people who work for Colnago in Italy.
    Just my guess though.
    PS glad to see you landed on your feet. Good luck with BMC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    So I'm returning with more information today - and retracting my previous statement too. Colnago is no longer getting tubing from Columbus, but is staying with Italian-made steel tubing from Milano. The specs exactly match last year's DT15V tubing and have the same blend of chromium, molybdenum, and vanadium.
    Also my guess is that Colnago USA knows more about Colnago than, well, anyone else. BMCUSA was right too.

Just spoke with Ben from Cinelli and Fabrizio (spelling?) from Columbus, who are both at the show in Richmond right now.
    Here's the scoop:
    -All steel and alloy tubesets are being manufactured in Italy, with exception to two (see below)
    -No new production has been transferred to Taiwan
    -2 new entry-level steel tubesets (Chromoly, seamed) are being designed by Columbus and produced in Taiwan and Japan starting this year
    -Several carbon tubesets are made in Taiwan following Columbus design, standards
    -Colnago's DT15V tubeset is no longer purchased from Columbus, thus the lack of Columbus sticker
    Last edited by WrenchScienceCliff; 02-26-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Hors Categorie
    Jan 2005
    So we don't know who makes this "Italian steel tubing from Milano." We have no idea where the tubing for the latest MXLs come from. Could be Milan. Could be Taipei. Could be Guangdong. Could be Mumbai, Delhi or Banglore... still "Asia" (where *a lot* of steel comes from.. Accelor-Mittal is the largest steel company in the world... based in Luxembourg and 100% Indian). Who knows? This is just as bad as Columbus tubing that is made in Taiwan and the ever so mysterious supplier of carbon for the EPS.

What is happening to Colnago??

I know I ain't buying another bike till I get to the truth.
    Last edited by iyeoh; 02-19-2010 at 08:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by iyeoh
    So we don't know who makes this "Italian steel tubing from Milano." We have no idea where the tubing for the latest MXLs come from. Could be Milan. Could be Taipei. Could be Guangdong. Could be Mumbai, Delhi or Banglore... still "Asia" (where *a lot* of steel comes from.. Accelor-Mittal is the largest steel company in the world... based in Luxembourg and 100% Indian). Who knows? This is just as bad as Columbus tubing that is made in Taiwan and the ever so mysterious supplier of carbon for the EPS.

What is happening to Colnago??

I know I ain't buying another bike till I get to the truth.
    Are you never buying another bike, or just not buying a Colnago until you get the truth? If you are never buying another bike until you get the truth about Colnago, you had better take really good care of the bikes you have right now. Me, I've been looking at a Tommasini in steel instead of the Colnago Master, but I really love the PR82 color scheme. Thing is, I really like the red, white, and green of the Tommasini. Decisions, decisions. Not to mention the Tommasini is like $600 to $700 cheaper than the Colnago Master.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

Hors Categorie
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fabsroman
    Are you never buying another bike, or just not buying a Colnago until you get the truth? If you are never buying another bike until you get the truth about Colnago, you had better take really good care of the bikes you have right now. Me, I've been looking at a Tommasini in steel instead of the Colnago Master, but I really love the PR82 color scheme. Thing is, I really like the red, white, and green of the Tommasini. Decisions, decisions. Not to mention the Tommasini is like $600 to $700 cheaper than the Colnago Master.
    Like I said, I have the Sarroni steel frame set aside for me at R&A with a significant deposit. I have refused to build up that frame until I get the low down, and nobody seems to have any answers. I'll get my money back if I so choose. Five steel Colangos came from that shop.

I sure baby all my steel Colnagos, plus those my dad passed down to me. I intend to give all the bikes to my son, and then his kids. They are irreplaceable.

I rode a 1990 Tommasini Diamante Columbus MS for a while, but it wasn't mine. My gf in grad business school rode the same size frame. Tommasinis are beautiful bikes. They handle differently, so you may want to think about that. More of the DeRosa/Merckx relaxed handling geometry.

I crack up when I see a Colnago in Merckx Molteni. The Colnago geometry was precisely why Merckx switched to DeRosa after just two years. He loved Colnago built bikes, but he didn't dig the short top tubes and Merckx always believed the long top tube and shorter stem and relaxed tube angles (DeRosa) would descend better than the short top tube and long stem (Colnago). Whatever.

Forget about which is cheaper. You have Italian blood. As much as you buy with your head, buy with your heart. Follow where your heart leads you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Materials

In the 'Overview' section on the 'Materials' tab of the Colnago website, the carbon source is stated as 'Toraya:'

"The immense strength and versatility of carbon fiber has made it the most popular material for top-quality road racing bicycles. We use Toraya carbon fiber in a variety of grades and types according to the specific requirements of the frame or component.

Our one-piece (monocoque) frames use pre-preg carbon cloth, laser-aligned in a mould and heated under pressure to form a seamless, strong, light unit.

The EPS family uses lugged carbon construction which allows for tremendous versatility - it's the only way to offer 22 different sizes and custom options for a carbon fiber bicycle that fits perfectly."

Presumably this is the same manufacturer of carbon that is prevalent in the construction of Pinarellos; 'the world's best carbon.' And Felt: 'the F1C has the far-superior Torayca M30 UHM carbon-same grade as some spacecraft.'

http://www.toray.com/products/carbon/car_002.html

Part of the 'A Team' thang:

http://www.bike-eu.com/public/file/a...bik008z017.pdf

There's no mention of in-house carbon manufacture at Colnago, although the frames do seem to be assembled at Cambiago. Perhaps they buy in the prepreg and form lugs and tubes themselves? With ATR no longer around, this seems a sensible alternative.

All conjecture. Seems to make a great product in the end!

No clue about the steel origins...

"The first Colnago bicycles were made from steel and so steel is still close to our heart. The Master X-Light's Columbus DT15V tubing gets its strength from chromium, molybdenum and vanadium alloying elements and is butted and shaped to our exact specifications."

Sam
    Last edited by SamG; 02-20-2010 at 07:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Last edited by gomango; 02-21-2010 at 03:23 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Could it be DEDACCIAI s.r.l.
    Sede Legale: Piazza Amendola, 3
    20149 Milano (MI) - Italy?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Could be lots of things if they farmed the production out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I meant as a tubing supplier. I can't think of any others in Italy off hand and they are claiming their supplier is based in Milan.

Hors Categorie
    Jan 2005
    That's it...the carbon fiber comes from Toray.

COLNAGO'S CARBON FIBER IS JAPANESE...

Toray Industries is based in Nihonbashi-Muromachi, Tokyo in the Nihonbashi Mitsui Tower. I know because I have been to that building personally.

No thanks. I will never ever buy a Colnago carbon bike ever... might as well switch to S-brand DI2.

As for the Milan based supplier of steel, for all we know, it could be the Milan distributor's office of China Steel Corp. (Taiwan) or Mittal Steel (India) or Pohang Iron and Steel (South Korea).

Last edited by iyeoh; 02-21-2010 at 07:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah I think we are at the end of some kind of era.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Last edited by gomango; 02-21-2010 at 03:23 AM.

Hors Categorie
    Jan 2005
    Geneva, 20th February 2010

The Rolak Corporation, the manufacturer of the world's finest timepieces, has announced that it will be shifting its manufacturing from Geneva to Sierra Leone, which has a highly skilled French-speaking workforce that is in abundant supply (as soon as Rolak removes all the AK-47 rifles), thus reducing Rolak's expense base and improving cost efficiency.

In the interest of supplying the best time pieces, Rolak will discontinue the use of its proprietary self winding movements and instead use cost-effective quartz movements to be supplied in bulk by the Saiko Company and Cazio Corporation of Japan. These quartz movements have been proven for decades to be far more accurate than Rolak's self winding movements anyway.

Rolak's timepiece collection will be streamlined into two product groups: with diamonds, and without diamonds. The diamond collection will have Swiss Crosses on the bezel, the watch face and the bracelet to remind the consumer that this is indeed a Swiss Watch, despite being made in West Africa. The non-diamond collection will be offered in neon pink, bile lime green, a fuschia purple mix and fecal brown.

Rolak America will only offer the Fecal Brown color, with special splashes of gold, for sale in the United States, but there will be Swiss Crosses on it everywhere.

Due to the weak US Dollar and fixed distributor pricing, effective immediately, the price of Rolak watches sold in America will be increased by 60%. Rolak appreciates that every consumer deserves the best deal possible, but Rolak will not warranty any merchandise not bought through Rolak America's two approved retailers.
    Last edited by iyeoh; 02-20-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Hors Categorie
    Jan 2005
    Never mind... enough with the instigating ;)
    Last edited by iyeoh; 02-20-2010 at 06:22 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mj3200
    Yeah I think we are at the end of some kind of era.
    Last edited by gomango; 02-21-2010 at 03:24 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I guess I'll hold onto my 09 Saronni. The last Master XL made from real Colombus Tubing. lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast