RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Racing on my Arte

Got some pretty good pics from last week's crit. I got third after starting my sprint out of the last corner in 10th place with about 250 meters to go. I almost got the 2nd place rider at the line.

I'm not sporting the Zipp 404 on the rear because I trashed it at a race earlier this year and it is in the process of being replaced/rebuilt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Racing on my Arte-rbr2.jpg   Racing on my Arte-rbr3.jpg   Racing on my Arte-rbr1.jpg  
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:
    Colnago C50 ST01 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 303
    Colnago Cristallo NS03 - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Custom Wheels
    Colnago Oval Krono LX4 - 2008 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 808/disk
    Colnago Arte bare aluminum - 2007 Campy Record 10 - Zipp 404
    Colnago Arte NS03 - unbuilt
    Bianchi FG Lite Liqui - 2008 Record - Zipp 202

Hors Categorie
    Jan 2005
    Favoloso!!

RoadBikeReview Member

Nice!

Great pics of what appears to have been a great race. Well done fabs!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats, looks like a lot of work!

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Fabsro-loso!
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Climbin' Clyde
    Killer, dude. So great to see racing pics instead of some middle aged weekend warrior who's afraid to nick his Nag. Wait a second, I'm talking about myself. Kudos on destroying a Zipp and getting to post about it too. I'm proud enough when I wear out a cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablotny
    Killer, dude. So great to see racing pics instead of some middle aged weekend warrior who's afraid to nick his Nag. Wait a second, I'm talking about myself. Kudos on destroying a Zipp and getting to post about it too. I'm proud enough when I wear out a cassette.
    Thanks for all the compliments guys.

The Cristallo and C50 don't see mass start racing action. The only time I'll use either of those bikes is for hill climb time trials.

Funny you should say something about being scared to scratch my Colnago because in the last 3 years of racing (i.e., got back into it in 2007), this race you see here was my first wreck. I had nearly come to a stop to avoid the wreck in front of me when some asshat hit me so hard from behind that it threw me over the bars. I have a good scratch on the right rear dropout, a scratch on the seatpost, and the right brifter got scratched when the bike hit the ground. Probably a good thing I was racing the Eurus on the rear instead of my set of Zipp 303's because I probably would have needed another Zipp rim for the rear. I took my free lap and ended up 3rd on an abbreviated race where we only went 17 or so of the 32 laps because they needed an ambulance for the kid that went down in front of me. If I get into the entire race situation, this post will be a mile long.

If I break any of the Record 10 components, I figure it will give me an excuse to buy a Super Record 11 speed groupo. I also have another backup Arte frame should this one get trashed. I figure as long as I have a backup, the opposite of Murphy's law will apply.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Modified by unknown from Bovard's original quote<o:p></o:p>

Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love the final picture of you both looking at each other on the line.

You should be riding 28cc tires ... you might have won.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhite_4
    I love the final picture of you both looking at each other on the line.

You should be riding 28cc tires ... you might have won.
    Yeah, maybe if I was riding my rear Zipp 404, or if I hadn't ate as much the night before, or if I had started my sprint a little earlier which probably wasn't possible because I started it coming out of the last corner with 200 meters to go, or I could have just gone harder because I had some left in the tank after it was all said and done. Probably should have used one gear bigger than I did. Oh well, there is always the next race.

Bikes: