RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

20-35 mile rides in S. Los Angeles - Orange County

I live at the crossing of L.A. and Orange Counties. I am recently new again to road cycling after a multi-decade hiatus. Over the past year, I have come up with a couple great 10 and 15 mile rides (with variants) which include a combination of parks and bike-friendly roads. But, now I'm looking to find more challenging loops. Other than the Seal Beach path and the Anaheim to Huntington Beach path (which can be arranged as 35 mile RT rides), do any of you from this area have any loops or ride paths to recommend? Or any sources to recommend (online links, etc.) from established rides? Safety is important.

(Particularly thinking of areas around Whittier-La Habra-La Mirada-Fullerton-Brea etc.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Sounds just like me. I'm also new to road biking, long time MTB, Just did the Santa Fe Springs to Seal Beach round trip last weekend. Did the Anaheim to Huntington Beach RT several weeks before that. If you need a ride partner/group, let me know. I'm in Whittier/La Habra/La Mirada as well. See ya on the trails.

That said, I'm also looking for longer runs now as I'm feeling stronger. Wilderness Park to Encantado Park in Duarte roun trip is 45 miles. Done it once. Personally I prefer the river trails because I have a personal aversion to riding in traffic (childhood trauma).

For MTB, I love/recommend the Carbon Canyon trails... goiing up Telegraph trail with about a 4% grade for several hours just to turn around for a 20 minute down hill run is still a lot of fun. Not road bike friendly though, A hybrid or MTB with drifters is perfect though.

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Heading that way

this and next month and bringing a bike. Found a good source for ride ideas from the OC wheelman sites saturday - sunday route sheets with rides begining in costa mesa irvine and tustin

The Orange County Wheelmen (OCW)

EMR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2002
    Lots of good road riding in that area, East/West rd, El Travesia dr, Mar Vista, Turnbull canyon, Ederidge, etc.

your text here
    check the southern california forum.

also the lounge. several so cal riders hang out there.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

jrm
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

Over thanksgiving

I rode the Bay to Mountains as an out and back from Upper Back Bay on the Irvine/ Newport beach border to Stevens Canyon in Orange and back totaling 35 flat miles. The County of Orange only signed the trail from Stevens Canyon to Upper Back Bay Map direction and the trail "map" was complete rubbish. After the 3rd or so missed connection i gave up and rode the bike lanes on the arterials back to Newport Beach.

The biggest thing i noticed was riding a bike in so cal is pretty damn dangerous. its that "get the hell out of my way attitude. im going back over xmas and will probably drag a bike with me. id like to try piecing together a hilly route thru the Newport Beach/ Laguna/CDM areas.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I used to do an unofficial century with friends once a year, that went up the San Gabriel River bike path to just beyond the Santa Fe Dam, then down the Rio Hondo/L.A. River Bike Path to Long Beach, then back up the San Gabriel to the start point. We'd take an excursion up Turnbull Canyon.

This is a somewhat shorter version of that ride:

If you are interested in something different this weekend, David and I will be doing our Long Beach Loop ride. We start in Lakewood, at Liberty Park, (just north of Del Amo Blvd on Studebaker), ride up the San Gabriel River Bike Trail to Whittier, where we get off at Beverly, and do a side trip over Turnbull Canyon. This 5 mile, 1000 ft climb is the only serious climb on the route. From Turnbull Canyon, we come back to the River via Don Julian and Workman Mill Roads. Once back at the San Gabriel River we cut across to the Rio Hondo Bike Trail. From the Rio Hondo Bike Trail, we transition to the Los Angeles River Bike Trail, into Long Beach, where we stop at Shoreline Village of lunch. After lunch it is 12 miles across the Long Beach Bike trail, through Belmonte Shores then back up the San Gabriel Bike Trail to the start point. The total route is 67 miles, 1500 ft elevation gain.

I can get you an actual route if you want.

And oh yeah, if you're rolling by yourself, I would only do it on a weekend morning. The L.A. River portion goes through some sketchy areas and the path is pretty isolated.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut