MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.

After a very cold Memorial Day weekend on Wednesday things started heating up. The forecast was for 5 days in the mid 90's.

Ah well, Miss M and her sister Phil wanted to ride. So we rode.

We drove out to Frederick MD and booked a hotel for a few days. The charm of Frederick is that there is plenty of country roads right outside of town and plenty of fine dining for some hungry cyclists.

We met on Thursday a little later than I would like but Phil had a long drive to get there. We headed south right onto country roads.

5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1684.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1682.jpg

After an hour or so we crossed the Potomac into Virginia and started following the Blue Ridge to Purceville.
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1709.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1698.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1718.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1722.jpg

Ya, we were on country roads all right. Not much traffic and about as much shade as you could hope for on a hot summer day.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting to happen upon one of your threads while you are building it. I'll return later.
    Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: I married a goddam musician, Aint no way to make that $#!↑ right.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    ..started following the Blue Ridge to Purcelville.....
    Purcelville is the western end of the W&OD Trail. That far out of DC the trail is pretty empty and very shaded (which was good since things were heating up).

We took the trail to Leesburg where we stopped for lunch.
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1724.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1725.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1734.jpg

It was somewhat amusing to read the headline on the local paper......
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1744.jpg

From there it was a short ride down to the river where we caught the ferry back to Maryland.
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1748.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1756.jpg
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Phil was astounded by the flood markings on the Maryland side of the river.
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1762.jpg

We briefly took the nice and shaded Tow Path to Monocacy. We could have stayed on the path a little longer but Phil isn't all that comfortable on dirt.
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1773.jpg

We still had another hour of riding in the afternoon heat to get back to Frederick. Not much shade on those pretty farm roads.

5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1786.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1789.jpg

Good thing we know how to beat the heat!
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1806.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1812.jpg

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    We got a much earlier start on Friday. Blew through town before there was much traffic and just like that we were on pretty and quiet country roads.
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1817.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1820.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1827.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1830.jpg

Frederick to Gettysburg and back is a very popular ride, it seemed like every intersection had lots of markings for various rides. Nice wide empty farm roads in great shape with fantastic views. Ya, the Frederick Valley is a good place to ride. Did I mention the covered bridges?

5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1846.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1844.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1840.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1839.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1832.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1860.jpg

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    It is fairly common to turn a Frederick to Gettysburg ride into a century but with the heat wave and all I took us on the shortest route I know. In no time at all we were riding on the Battlefield.

It is a pretty impressive place. Even though it is the 150th anniversary of the battle we were there early enough in the day to avoid the really heavy traffic.
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1864.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1860.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1870.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1873.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1876.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1878.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1880.jpg

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1888.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1890.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1883.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1892.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1896.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1900.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1903.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1905.jpg

You tired of shots of empty farm roads yet?

Except for the heat we weren't tired of riding on them and the miles back to Frederick flew by.

What'd I do?
    Good to see my future home has good riding.
    Good ideas by chance, not design.

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I always thought a great base for riding in that area would be the PATC Catoctin Cottage in Catoctin Furnace on Route 806. It's owned by the state so it is not one of those members-only rentals the club owns.
    Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: I married a goddam musician, Aint no way to make that $#!↑ right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    quiet country roads ftw....history a double ftw...sitting in the shade next to my bike with a waffle bowl from brusters a gazillion ftw
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 06-06-2013 at 06:48 PM.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by StageHand View Post
    Good to see my future home has good riding.
    Moving to Frederick?

Cool!

There is also great mountain riding available but we skipped it this trip because of the heat.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    I always thought a great base for riding in that area would be the PATC Catoctin Cottageon Route 806. It's owned by the state so it is not one of those members-only rentals the club owns.
    There is a second reason we picked Frederick!
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1908.jpg

The very reasonable fine dining available all over town.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    For the first two days we rode mostly north and south in very light winds. On Saturday the winds started to pick up from the south so it was a good thing we were heading east to DC where we would spend the night at home.

Since there is a vast network of farm roads around Frederick we only spent the first 5 miles or so on roads we had already ridden.

5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1923.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1925.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-may-1-.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-may.jpg

Then we took Park Mills Road around Sugarloaf and River Road straight into town.

5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1940.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1934.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1930.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1929.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1927.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1952.jpg

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Since we got such an early start we blew into town with plenty of time to spend a relaxing afternoon shopping and dining around town.

5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1960.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1957.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-trivit-1-.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-trivit-2-.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-trivit.jpg

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Not much to say about Sunday.

We got up early and raced the thunderstorms back to Frederick. We got a good look at the sky clouding up as we rode back to Frederick, the closer we got the darker it got.

Wouldn't you know it, shortly after we finished the ride and say good bye to Phil the skies opened up and the heat wave broke.

Ah well, I'd rather be dry and hot than wet and cold and it sure was a great 4 days of riding.
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1963.jpg
    5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1967.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1970.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1974.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1988.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1993.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp1998.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp2001.jpg5 Day Heat Wave, 4 Day Bike Ride.-imgp2007.jpg

Cranky Old Bastard
    Hi MB!
    I've enjoyed your pics and they motivate me to get out and ride more!

Just wondering what camera you use? Your shots are always sharp with vibrant color.
    They look better than what I get with my $150 Fuji, but I haven't got all the bells and whistles figured out yet either.

I wish they'd start a Photography forum here as I'd like to learn more about the video cams some use and I'm sure guys like you have a lot of tips you could share.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    .....wondering what camera you use? Your shots are always sharp with vibrant color......
    I shot all these with a many generations old ( in digital years) Pentax Optio W60 and process them in Apple i-photo.

Newer cameras seem to be much nicer but since this one still works why replace it?

What'd I do?
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    Moving to Frederick?

Cool!

There is also great mountain riding available but we skipped it this trip because of the heat.
    I know the trails well, but I've only done a single road ride in the area - 50 miles, maybe 30 gravel miles. I'm excited about my new local riding.
    Good ideas by chance, not design.