RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

500 mile ride. Buffalo NY to Chicago I.L. (Ride For Alex)

Alex Hemline was a 17 year old senior at my school. (Clarence High School, Clarence, NY) He was a classmate and friend. He recently passed away. In memory of him, I'm trying to put together a fundraiser for his family. I will be riding solo, fixed gear, from Buffalo N.Y, To Chicago I.L. (over 500 miles) I've never done a ride this big before, but i know i can do it. I plan to get there in 3-4 days. I just kind of want some sort of guidance from anyone who has any sort of experience riding long distances. Anyone, with anything to say, would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Johnny.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gowen View Post
    .... I will be riding solo, fixed gear, from Buffalo N.Y, To Chicago I.L. (over 500 miles) I've never done a ride this big before, but i know i can do it. I plan to get there in 3-4 days......
    Exactly how far have you ridden on a fixed gear in a day?

500+ miles/3 days=167+ miles per day. 500+ miles/4 days=125+ miles per day.

We ride fixed a lot (as much as 800 miles in a week) and I would NEVER think about doing what you are thinking about without some big time training.

A things to think about; How do you plan to eat and sleep? Are you going to have a support vehicle? Do you have a back up plan for bad weather? Do you have a firm route that you know is safe? Plan on doing any night riding? How much is this trip plus the return going to cost and how do you plan on paying for it? Do you expect to raise at least 10 times your expenses (otherwise why do it?).
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Who needs a map?
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    Exactly how far have you ridden on a fixed gear in a day?

500+ miles/3 days=167+ miles per day. 500+ miles/4 days=125+ miles per day.

We ride fixed a lot (as much as 800 miles in a week) and I would NEVER think about doing what you are thinking about without some big time training.

A things to think about; How do you plan to eat and sleep? Are you going to have a support vehicle? Do you have a back up plan for bad weather? Do you have a firm route that you know is safe? Plan on doing any night riding? How much is this trip plus the return going to cost and how do you plan on paying for it? Do you expect to raise at least 10 times your expenses (otherwise why do it?).
    Listen to MB1, for he is wise.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I rode coast to coast last year on a supported tour. My 1st suggestion is don't do it on a fixie or even a single speed. Plan your route thoroughly. Expect the best-plan for the worst. If there are any repairs or adjustments on your bike that you don't know how to do, learn them forwards & backwards before you leave. I can't tell, but this sounds like a supported trip. Choose your wardrobe carefully. Start with new tires. Bring plenty of chamois lube.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.