Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Autumn ride in Southern England

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  charlieboy 
#1 ·
This weekend we had our first clear and cold autumn day (as opposed to cold and wet!) here in southern England. Riding narrow lanes through beautiful and ancient countryside was a real treat. We live on the edge of chalk Downs in the Berkshire/Wiltshire/Hampshire borders, and so get plenty of 300-400ft climbs and descents, between deep valleys or combes and the open grassland Downs.

View from ancient ridge track on Shute causeway with even more ancient Trek!

Autumn colours.

Typical escarpment edge of the downlands, with ancient earthworks visible.

Narrow lanes and not too many cars on a Sunday morning...

... and dry enough not to be too slippery on those leaves.

Nice fire in the pub!

Back home past horses...

... farmyard fowl...

... and goats!

Last few miles along the Kennet and Avon canal.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like a great place to ride. You will have to post some more of your ride reports. I love to see different parts of the world here on RBR.

#7 ·
I've always loved that part of the world.

#8 ·
Great pics! Is the riding as good as it looks (when not covered in soaking wet leaves :))?

#9 ·
thanks everyone

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Looking enviously at other people's ride reports (French gorges - fantastic, American deserts - awesome) you forget how lucky you are to have what you have, outside your own back door.

So we can moan about the weather etc but on a good day I know I have beautiful rides just down the road - yes there is the odd nutter in a 4x4, but in the main the traffic is light, yes the road surfaces are often crap on the back lanes and I get loads of punctures from flints when it's raining - we take the rough with the smooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.