RoadBikeReview Member

Blue and green on a gray day- Manhattan Skyline, Bronx & LI

http://theoutsideinsideout.blogspot....reen-gray.html

Yeah for sure I should be able to do better than 11 miles, but understand the prostate is still tetchy and the herniated discs uncooperative. (Is there a 50+ thread here? ... anyway)

Lugged out the hefty D-70 in the camelbak, a 28-130 lens and took a couple of pics of the Manhattan and Bronx Skylines across the water from North Shore L.I. Gatsby territory,

Nice change from the usual cell-phone drek I usually click for posterity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Manhattan from 13 miles away as the crow flies, but many more as the bike rides.

Plenty of folk out sailing near the Bronx and City island, cool day for riding if you don't mind a little headwind.

Last edited by rideorglide; 10-02-2010 at 06:39 AM.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by rideorglide
    Nice change from the usual cell-phone drek I usually click for posterity.
    Indeed.

Got any more?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ya sure,

Around the other corner, a flat and speedy interlude by the water. Hoffstot/Seacoast is a must-ride add-on to this ride. Short hill to get down to the water, unlike some of the other monsters here.

HoffstotSeacoast by PhilMcPhilly, on Flickr

It's 13 miles as the crow flies, or in this case seagull scuds, to Midtown -- by car you're looking at 25 miles.

13 miles by crow by PhilMcPhilly, on Flickr

Ya sure ... it's a tough neighborhood ...aquatically speaking, just west of Execution Rocks Lighthouse.

Miscreants were tied to the rocks and left to drown as the tide came up. I used to be able to fix (apols for the horizon rotate custom in photoshop, but have not figured out in elements)

executionrocks_19#2 by PhilMcPhilly, on Flickr

The Throgs Neck Bridge frames downtown manhattan. Lens makes it look closer than it is.

Throgsneckbridge by PhilMcPhilly, on Flickr

The best seats in the house meanwhile are on the corner.

Roughhood_0021 by PhilMcPhilly, on Flickr

Heading back into town, there's a spot that savvy riders will want to stop for a drink, time the light so that you hit it mid green, at 30 mph, before gunning it up the next hill. Watch out for left turning cars at the light at the bottom.

Coming up the hill is "eyes in the back of the head time" there is all of 9" of shoulder and a wall on the rider's right as you pass the golf course. It's tight, with nowhere to escape a bad driver, and a section one is glad to get past.

TImingthelight by PhilMcPhilly, on Flickr
    Last edited by rideorglide; 10-03-2010 at 06:09 PM.