RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Border Patrol (pic heavy)

On October 1st we took a ride from Hamburg, NY into Canada from the Peace Bridge to the Rainbow Bridge and back. When we left home, it was raining, 42°F and 30mph winds with gusts up to 45mph. Beauty day for a ride! (see rule #9) It rained for the first 2 hours of the ride and drizzled for 2 more after that but, when you plan a ride months in advance, sometimes you gotta suck it up. So, we strapped on the rain gear and headed north (or west when you're from Buffalo). If you're in the Western New York/Southern Ontario area, I'd highly recommend the Niagara River ride between Fort Erie and the falls. The map is at the end of this post. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the actual trail in Canada because it was raining till we got to Niagara Falls, so you'll have to discover that on your own Enjoy!

At the edge of the Peace Bridge in Buffalo. You actually have to take the side street and go under the bridge when entering Canada. Classic plastic bag-on-the-saddle technique.

Welcome to Canada

View from the border. Looking over Lake Erie.

This is the part where it was raining and windy so the camera stayed in the bag.
    33 miles later...

Coming into Niagara Falls.

Lunch at the Flying Saucer in Niagara Falls (after 33 miles of riding in the rain, a nice greasy burger and some fries with gravy was perfect)

View from the border. Looking over the American and Canadian Falls.

The camera stayed in the bag again as we navigated through Niagara Falls USA and Tonawanda, NY.

Back in Buffalo, following the newly remodeled bike trail over a 100 year old lift bridge.

The Peace Bridge on the way back home.

Sunset over Lake Erie

The ride map
    Last edited by LavenderLightning; 10-13-2011 at 09:08 AM.
    The Spokesmen Charitable Riders
    “Riders with a Reason”

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    I could use a burger-n-fries right about now.

Quality post.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Sunset over the peace bridge is beautiful.

Looks like a great ride and bonus points for sticking it out through the rain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Sweet pics! Looks like a great ride. Where does the "newly remodeled bike trail" start up? Is it an extension of the one that goes through North Tonawanda? I live in the Northtowns so I don't get down that way often (on my bike) but I will definitely check it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by binorx View Post
    Sweet pics! Looks like a great ride. Where does the "newly remodeled bike trail" start up? Is it an extension of the one that goes through North Tonawanda? I live in the Northtowns so I don't get down that way often (on my bike) but I will definitely check it out.
    Cool man, I didn't know there were any fellow WNYers on here! Yes, it's the same trail that goes throught NT. They layed down some new asphalt and ran it away from Niagara Street in downtown Buffalo. It follows along the canal and then picks back up across from Rich Products. They also repaved the entire new section from the skyway to Lackawana/Woodlawn area. Absolutely beautiful riding conditions. It does break up at the steel plant, if you plan on going all the way to Hamburg.
    The Spokesmen Charitable Riders
    “Riders with a Reason”

Ride for the day!
    Great shots! Thanks. Looks like you had fun.

Anchored in an indigo moonlit bay
    Gold-eyed roun fires the sea thieves lay
    Morning... white shells and a pipe of clay
    As the wind filled their footsteps
    They were far... far... away.

ELP Pirates

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    I could use a burger-n-fries right about now.

Quality post.
    Yes and thanks for the nice pics.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LavenderLightning View Post
    On October 1st we took a ride from Hamburg, NY into Canada from the Peace Bridge to the Rainbow Bridge and back. When we left home, it was raining, 42°F and 30mph winds with gusts up to 45mph. Beauty day for a ride! (see rule #9) It rained for the first 2 hours of the ride and drizzled for 2 more after that but, when you plan a ride months in advance, sometimes you gotta suck it up. So, we strapped on the rain gear and headed north (or west when you're from Buffalo). If you're in the Western New York/Southern Ontario area, I'd highly recommend the Niagara River ride between Fort Erie and the falls. The map is at the end of this post. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the actual trail in Canada because it was raining till we got to Niagara Falls, so you'll have to discover that on your own Enjoy!

At the edge of the Peace Bridge in Buffalo. You actually have to take the side street and go under the bridge when entering Canada. Classic plastic bag-on-the-saddle technique.
    Awesome post/thread!

Thanks for sharing!
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LavenderLightning View Post
    Cool man, I didn't know there were any fellow WNYers on here! Yes, it's the same trail that goes throught NT. They layed down some new asphalt and ran it away from Niagara Street in downtown Buffalo. It follows along the canal and then picks back up across from Rich Products. They also repaved the entire new section from the skyway to Lackawana/Woodlawn area. Absolutely beautiful riding conditions. It does break up at the steel plant, if you plan on going all the way to Hamburg.
    Thanks for the info. I just got back into cycling a year ago or so and discovered this place a few months back. Getting hooked. I imagine there are more of us around ...

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    Rule #9 for sure. Very cool.

your text here
    some day i will get a chance to tour...

looks like fun. wet, but fun.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck