RBR Veteran Opinionater

Camano Island - Washington

Camano Island is part of the San Juan Islands, that are scattered in northwest Washington and into Canada. With it's relatively large size, population, and bridge to the mainland, it doesn't have quite the same island feel that some do.

Most roads have medium-course paving. Not a problem for those of us who ride on 700-28s. Shoulders are mostly okay, but non-existent in some places.

The geography is very up and down with just a couple of areas that have flat roads. There aren't really any that are even a mile long. There are some good, but short climbs available. Go east on Cross Island Drive from east Camano Drive for good workout.

Folks are mostly laid back, but I still like to avoid the worst of hwy 532, and commuting times. This ride started early on a Sunday - the quietest time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camano Island - Washington-map1.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3624.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3631.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3632.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3635.jpg  

Camano Island - Washington-dscn3637.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3638.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3641.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3651.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3655.jpg  

Camano Island - Washington-dscn3658.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3663.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3665.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3667.jpg   Camano Island - Washington-dscn3668.jpg  

Camano Island - Washington-dscn3670.jpg  
    Escalate. Always escalate.

duh...
    nice... is that near harper's island?

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow. Great photos! Thanks for posting. We rode on Lopez Island on 4th of July weekend. Might have to do Camano Island next time...

zpl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Very cool. Being new to the region I definitely need to visit the San Juan islands sometime.

Scott

RBR Veteran Opinionater
    If you mean the Harper Island in Sprague lake, no. But if you mean a different Harper's Island, then no.

ps - The route in red is about 43 miles. For the exact same route on the Bridge Of the Gods ride, my computer said 89 miles once, and 86 miles 2 weeks later. So yeah, I'll say "about" 43 miles.

Mark - Camano is a bit less chill than the other islands. Where you hardly see cars on a Lopez Sunday morning, you might get 50 on the Camano loop - not counting the 1/2 mile on the hwy. Of those 50, there were a few Sunday drivers, all convertibles with tops down: an MGB, an MG TD, an XKE, and a '57 T-Bird. I lust for the throaty sound of the Jag's big 6, under-geared and turning probably 2,900 r.p.m. at 50 or so.
    Last edited by brujenn; 08-04-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Great post! Nice pics. Looks somewhat like "down east" Maine only with better roads.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Looks like you got some wind there!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beautiful country. Looks like a nice place for kayaking as well. (In fact, Werner makes a paddle called the Camano -- no doubt named after the island.)

Riding towards Delmarva.
    wow very cool. some of our first vacations together were in the San Juans.

Is Camano part of the San Juans?...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Juan_Islands
    "Anyone can ride fast downhill."
    me

RBR Veteran Opinionater
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Looks like you got some wind there!
    Yessir, some wind. The flag that sticks straight out at the Utsalady Ladies Aid building is only a few miles from home. It was that windy before 8:30 a.m. Most of the perimeter ride is protected by trees, so it's not too bad.

It gets gusty though - riding down hill, the wind blows in your face at 30+ miles per hour - hit the bottom and start back up though, and the wind pretty much dies. Weird.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Looks like you are having some great summer weather !

Bacon!
    I'm getting jealous with these ocean ride reports that keep popping up.

Yours looks awesome. I love those hills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRex
    Is Camano part of the San Juans?...
    Camano Island is east of Whidbey Island. Some geologist might make a case that Camano Island is part of the San Juan Island group, but I don't think anyone locally would buy it...

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Never even heard of this place before. Thanks for posting.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut