RoadBikeReview Member

Casseroll vs Crosshairs

I'm looking at commuters, up to 25 miles one way. I test rode a slightly-to-big Casseroll and realized I will need to get the frame and build up; the components do not do a thing for me. So, I've got my Chorus 11 to throw on and am thinking tires at 25, maybe 28 at most. The Crosshairs frame set is probably $500 more (I'm pretty sure I don't need to go custom); is it worth it. Reviews on both bikes are consistently good. Any real advantage with the Gunnar over the Salsa for the bucks?

EDIT: Went with a build on the Casseroll...
    Last edited by voodooguy; 05-28-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: add info

Good for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by voodooguy View Post
    I'm looking at commuters, up to 25 miles one way. I test rode a slightly-to-big Casseroll and realized I will need to get the frame and build up; the components do not do a thing for me. So, I've got my Chorus 11 to throw on and am thinking tires at 25, maybe 28 at most. The Crosshairs frame set is probably $500 more (I'm pretty sure I don't need to go custom); is it worth it. Reviews on both bikes are consistently good. Any real advantage with the Gunnar over the Salsa for the bucks?

EDIT: Went with a build on the Casseroll...
    Pics when you get a chance. I'm thinking of a Casseroll myself.

Thanks!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    The Casseroll is a great frame. I love mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm chomping at the bit for it to get built!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was trying to decide between a Gunnar Sport and Casseroll, and opted for the Salsa. The Gunnar is probably a better frame, but I couldn't justify spending $500-600 more for it right now. Also, the Casseroll geometry fits me perfectly and I like the color.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, that's what pulled me back, too. $$$ I wonder how the Casseroll would do on a loaded tour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    According to Salsa, the Casseroll is not designed for loaded touring. I use mine for commuting and often carry about 5-10 lbs of clothing, food and gear. It is a very nice riding frame, the most comfortable of my 5 road bikes. I took it on a 3-day, non-loaded tour in April, and will be riding it during Bike Virginia in a few weeks. I'm sure the Casseroll would be fine for light touring, carrying 10-20 lbs of gear, but I'm not so sure about panniers front and back loaded with gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, that's what I figured. I contacted Salsa re the front rack that comes with the bike for 2011. The recommendation is just a few pounds on that; so, I'm not installing the thing. I figure to throw a rear rack on her to carry a trunk bag and I should be okay. I guess I'll just have to get that Gunnar (Grand Tour) if I want to load up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I left the front rack off my Casseroll because I was trying to keep the weight down, and it weighs about a 1 lb. I have a similar one on my Bob Jackson touring bike and rarely use it. The main purpose is for randonneurs and others who like to carry handlebar bags and such. I have a small Rivendell "loafer" bag that I use on the rare occasions when I need a front bag.

Cycling 4 the fun of it.
    I know it's too late as you already went with a Casseroll. Why didn't you consider the Vaya, Looking a the specs, it has a good build and I would think it would be a good commuter bike or anything bike.

Asking cause, it's on my short list.
    Sycamore Area Cycling

TREK 2.3c (Road)
    MASI Custom (Coffee Bike)
    Mercier (Gravel Bike)
    Diamondback Overdrive Pro (MTB)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would agree with you; it would be a good option, too. I was drawn by the reviews (as I think all salsa's do.) and by having access to it for test ride.