RoadBikeReview Member

Casseroll vs Crosshairs

I'm looking at commuters, up to 25 miles one way. I test rode a slightly-to-big Casseroll and realized I will need to get the frame and build up; the components do not do a thing for me. So, I've got my Chorus 11 to throw on and am thinking tires at 25, maybe 28 at most. The Crosshairs frame set is probably $500 more (I'm pretty sure I don't need to go custom); is it worth it. Reviews on both bikes are consistently good. Any real advantage with the Gunnar over the Salsa for the bucks?

EDIT: Went with a build on the Casseroll...
    Last edited by voodooguy; 05-28-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: add info

Good for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by voodooguy View Post
    I'm looking at commuters, up to 25 miles one way. I test rode a slightly-to-big Casseroll and realized I will need to get the frame and build up; the components do not do a thing for me. So, I've got my Chorus 11 to throw on and am thinking tires at 25, maybe 28 at most. The Crosshairs frame set is probably $500 more (I'm pretty sure I don't need to go custom); is it worth it. Reviews on both bikes are consistently good. Any real advantage with the Gunnar over the Salsa for the bucks?

EDIT: Went with a build on the Casseroll...
    Pics when you get a chance. I'm thinking of a Casseroll myself.

Thanks!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    The Casseroll is a great frame. I love mine.
    Isnotimpressedbystoreboughtplasticbikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm chomping at the bit for it to get built!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was trying to decide between a Gunnar Sport and Casseroll, and opted for the Salsa. The Gunnar is probably a better frame, but I couldn't justify spending $500-600 more for it right now. Also, the Casseroll geometry fits me perfectly and I like the color.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, that's what pulled me back, too. $$$ I wonder how the Casseroll would do on a loaded tour.

RoadBikeReview Member
    According to Salsa, the Casseroll is not designed for loaded touring. I use mine for commuting and often carry about 5-10 lbs of clothing, food and gear. It is a very nice riding frame, the most comfortable of my 5 road bikes. I took it on a 3-day, non-loaded tour in April, and will be riding it during Bike Virginia in a few weeks. I'm sure the Casseroll would be fine for light touring, carrying 10-20 lbs of gear, but I'm not so sure about panniers front and back loaded with gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah, that's what I figured. I contacted Salsa re the front rack that comes with the bike for 2011. The recommendation is just a few pounds on that; so, I'm not installing the thing. I figure to throw a rear rack on her to carry a trunk bag and I should be okay. I guess I'll just have to get that Gunnar (Grand Tour) if I want to load up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I left the front rack off my Casseroll because I was trying to keep the weight down, and it weighs about a 1 lb. I have a similar one on my Bob Jackson touring bike and rarely use it. The main purpose is for randonneurs and others who like to carry handlebar bags and such. I have a small Rivendell "loafer" bag that I use on the rare occasions when I need a front bag.

Cycling 4 the fun of it.
    I know it's too late as you already went with a Casseroll. Why didn't you consider the Vaya, Looking a the specs, it has a good build and I would think it would be a good commuter bike or anything bike.

Asking cause, it's on my short list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would agree with you; it would be a good option, too. I was drawn by the reviews (as I think all salsa's do.) and by having access to it for test ride.