Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Co workers husband likes to swerve at bikes.

4K views 45 replies 34 participants last post by  Tig 
#1 ·
I ride to work almost every day, have been for about the last 8 months. A co worker came up to me a couple day ago after I mentioned a car buzzed me and honked. She said her husband hates cyclists and gets as close as he can to them and lays on the horn.

The interesting thing is, he is a border patrol agent. What do you say to that?

#4 ·
Speak now, speak out.

#5 ·
i have a non biking friend that will tell you how much he hates cyclist every time i bring up riding. he will tell you they are all the same and follow no laws and slow everyone down that is driving a auto. i try not to talk to him anymore about riding but alot of people have the same opinion. education will not even help these people!

#6 ·
I hope he swerves, but doesn't hit, a high-ranking federal police officer that can kick his border patrolling ass.

Oh, I'd also say to her that her husband sounds like an a$$hole and that you'll be happy to testify as to what she said when he finally does hit someone. Someone that files a big fat lawsuit to take every penny she and her husband have. Maybe that'll scare her to scare him.

#9 ·
Is your coworker hot?

eobf said:
I ride to work almost every day, have been for about the last 8 months. A co worker came up to me a couple day ago after I mentioned a car buzzed me and honked. She said her husband hates cyclists and gets as close as he can to them and lays on the horn.

#11 ·
You could ask the co-worker how much they owe on their house, car, and how much they have in savings. Make sure she knows that it will be yours if her husband hits you. You might let her know how a felony conviction would affect her husbands employment status. Get the license plate number and file a complaint so there is a record of it. Give your co-worker a copy of the complaint file.

#14 ·
I'm not trying to say I'm some kind of saint or anything, but WTF?

I honestly can't imagine wasting the emotional energy it takes to "hate" something like cyclists.

I mean, I dislike giant SUVs, but unless they're triple parked across a handicapped spot or something, I could give a crap about them. Don't really care when I'm stuck behind one in traffic, I might get as far as to get annoyed when I'm stuck behind one trying to parallel park, but it takes a whole lot of energy to hate something.

My guess is these are some folks with some issues, and there's no lesson you can teach someone with that kind of defect to make them stop.

this song comes to mind when I think about people like this:

My second guess would be that they'll probably keel over from a stress-induced heart attack before they get the chance to hurt anyone.

#16 · (Edited)
official?

eobf said:

Does he do this in an official vehicle? If so, write a letter to his boss. Might do that anyway.

#18 ·
As an agent his email is public knowledge. Just don't send anything that would get you "harrassing" a federal officer. But, if we get it, we can definitely let him and his boss know how's he's behaving.

The best thing would be to get the license plate and the next time he does it immediately call 911 and say someone tried to run you off the road. That should help slow him down a little.

#19 ·
Bertrand said:
and post it on this forum. We'll do the rest:devil: :devil:
Yes, because getting harassed by a bunch of sanctimonious cyclists is going to make him stop...

"he hates cyclists, so let's get a bunch of cyclists to tell him how much of a d!ck he is- That'll make life much better for the next cyclist he sees!"

Bad idea.

Drop it. Baaaad dog. DROP!

#20 ·
Fixed said:
Does he do this in an official vehicle? If so, write a letter to his boss. Might do that anyway.
mount a 2' spike on the side of your bike sticking out perpendicular to the bike and facing traffic--maybe a spring so you're isolated from it a bit on the bike should it hit something. If anyone comes within that distance of you their car gets scratched badly.

#21 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
mount a 2' spike on the side of your bike sticking out perpendicular to the bike and facing traffic--maybe a spring so you're isolated from it a bit on the bike should it hit something. If anyone comes within that distance of you their car gets scratched badly.
Sounds like a recepie for a crash.

Buy a Flip digital video recorder. Record it, post it, get the guy fired. Bam.

#22 ·
Pablo said:
Sounds like a recepie for a crash.

Buy a Flip digital video recorder. Record it, post it, get the guy fired. Bam.
Yeah I'd never actually do that, but the thought of scratching some idiots car that tried to swerve at me makes me happy.

#23 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
Yeah I'd never actually do that, but the thought of scratching some idiots car that tried to swerve at me makes me happy.
Yeah, revenge may be a dish best served cold, but rage should be piping hot.

#24 ·
+1 On filing a preemptive complaint with the local police dept.

This is no different than someone pulling a gun on someone to get a kick out of scaring them. Nailing someone with your car is assault with a deadly weapon.

For all our sakes, do NOT go soft on this - think of how guilty you'll feel if he does hit and hurt somewhen when you could have done something to help set him straight.

I have had to do something similar to a friend who drove drunk. It's not fun and no one wants to be considered a hypersensitive jerk but it's better than letting these folks' behavior go unchecked.

#25 ·
Border patrol agents are apparently above the law. There was an incident where one killed a pedestrian in Grand Marais, MN about two years ago. The officer was immediately transferred out of the area, and just within the last month they have been investigating. Good luck going after one of 'em.

#26 ·
liver stabbing

immediate calls to the police if they ever happened to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.