the_rydster

Commuting on frost and icy roads.

First frost and ice of the year here where I live.

Roads were well gritted this morning but in places (side of the road, corners, places cars normally avoid etc) there was frost and some ice.

I have 30 mm (measure more like 32mm) dry cyclo-cross tires (Mitchelin Jet) on my commuter/CX bike. Should I be ultra-cautious at the first sign of frost or can I go around corners crit style without a care in the world?

I suspect the answer is somewhere in between...

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Ahhhhhhhhhhh that fresh bruised look.

Quote Originally Posted by the_rydster
    .... at the first sign of frost or can I go around corners crit style without a care in the world?......
    nmndm
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

What'd I do?
    MB1 uses studded tires, and rounds corners without a care in the world. I live in the same area, and do not use studded tires. I'm too lazy to change them or too poor to buy a wheelset with tires I only use three times a year. When it gets like that, I move farther out into traffic. The wheel tracks are generally drier and less icy than the edges of the lane. Whatever you do, DO NOT TURN on the ice without studs. You'll end up going the same direction, just on a different plane that doesn't like your pants.

the_rydster
    Quote Originally Posted by OverStuffed
    MB1 uses studded tires, and rounds corners without a care in the world. I live in the same area, and do not use studded tires. I'm too lazy to change them or too poor to buy a wheelset with tires I only use three times a year. When it gets like that, I move farther out into traffic. The wheel tracks are generally drier and less icy than the edges of the lane. Whatever you do, DO NOT TURN on the ice without studs. You'll end up going the same direction, just on a different plane that doesn't like your pants.
    I have some studded tires actually, but I plan to use them more for rides on the old traintrack when it snows properly.

I figure that studs are overkill for roads with a light frost/ice, and will just wear out quick??

That is one reason I build my commuter up with CX tires...I thought they would be better than 23mm slicks on forst/ice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I commute on frost & ice a few times each year. I'm only extra cautious when I make turns. I go straight crit style. If I forget and take a corner crit style, my bike slips out from under me and reminds me that corners are to be done slowly in those conditions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lower your tires pressures to near minimum to get a better footprint, look well ahead/ scan for potential glare patches, stay off the brakes as much as you can or brake in a straight line before cornering, and use some caution with regard to lean angles. This has worked for me for years without studs, even riding on frozen lakes and ponds in my area.

singlecross
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    ... somehow, I donít know how, I want to influence a trend toward just riding... just riding like kids ride, but as adults. - Grant Petersen

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Let's think about this for a moment.

...I figure that studs .....will just wear out quick??....
    Carbon steel studs or rubber wearing out faster?!?

BTW our 5 year old Nokian studded tires look just about brand new. True we only ride them a couple of months a year but that means we likely have at least 5,000 miles on them by now.

Sure they seemed expensive at the time but there is lots of life left in them babies-one of the best tire investments we have ever made. And getting better all the time.
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

the_rydster
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1
    Carbon steel studs or rubber wearing out faster?!?
    Well both would wear faster on black-top than on ice surely?

I am just worried the studs will loose sharpness.

Also will they not slip around on black-top?

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment

Wait! You already have studded tires?!?

Well both would wear faster on black-top than on ice surely?

I am just worried the studs will loose sharpness.

Also will they not slip around on black-top?
    Why are you asking all this? Put them on your bike and find out.

FWIW We have found that studded tires wear like steel (no suprise there what with them being steel and all...... ), grab hold of anything except steel plates and make you feel super strong when you aren't running them. Weight and rolling resistance are the issue on dry surfaces OTOH it sure is nice not to have to worry if the commute home is going to be icy or not. Studded tires will pretty much allow you to ride in any winter condition other than snow deeper than the crank and white-outs.