HomeBrew Master

Crazyguyonabike.com Down?

The Crazy Guy on a Bike site has been down for a couple of days now. Anyone have any info on it? Site maintenance, problems, expected return, etc?

We've been following a few of the TransAmers' progress as they cross the U.S. as we continue to hone our plans for next year based on their journal entries.
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT,Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Santana Triplet

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think Neil (owner of crazyguy) is switching servers... I have posted a trip on there and I received this email from him:

Website going down for server rebuild on July 16th

Short version for non-geeks:

The website will go down sometime before midday on Wednesday July 16th 2008, for system maintenance. I'll make sure I have everything backed up, then I'll wipe the drives and rebuild the system and data. During the downtime, everything will be unavailable, including crazyguyonabike, the topicwise sites, and the email server. The website will probably be back up again sometime on Thursday. Sorry for the hassle!

Slightly longer explanation for geeks:

The purpose here is to reconfigure the hard drives from RAID10 to RAID0 in order to give us twice as much space as we have now, and faster disk IO as well. To compensate for the lower reliability of RAID0, I'll also be installing a new external 320GB USB hard drive which will be used as a local backup (I can't use an internal drive, since there's no spare space in the 1U server case). In the process, I'll also be installing the newer version of the Debian operating system, namely Lenny (I will be testing this at home prior to the trip). Lenny has newer software than Etch, the version we're currently using, and will soon become the "stable" version of Debian anyway.

I'll be on the train back to St Louis from 7pm up until midnight on the 16th; so if the site is not back up again by late afternoon, then it probably won't happen until the next day. I'll try to post any updates on unexpected delays on the Touring forum over at www.bikeforums.net.

Hopefully people on the road or otherwise updating journals currently will see this and not be too mystified about the downtime. No data should be lost - we have multiple backups on different hard drives.

I wanted to do this while I still have relatively easy access to the datacenter in Chicago. Once we move from St Louis over to Oregon this August, quick trips become a bit harder to do. I may eventually see about moving the server to a datacenter somewhere in California or Oregon, but I'm going to leave that until we are actually over there. We've had good service from our current datacenter, it's fairly cheap and Chicago is not prone to natural disasters such as earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires, floods, mudslides, volcanoes, tsunamis... it's actually a pretty good place to have a server!

Anyway, thanks for your patience, let's hope it all goes smoothly...

Neil

HomeBrew Master
    Thanks for the update. I hadn't seen it, but thought someone out there had some news.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    il friend of crazyguyonabike and was wondering how they are and where they are. my first
    time on this site so not sure how to find him. so if any one talks to them tell them the cuba bingo crazies are wondering about them..hope everything is ok...

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I got an IM from him today

Quote Originally Posted by marywood
    il friend of crazyguyonabike and was wondering how they are and where they are. my first
    time on this site so not sure how to find him. so if any one talks to them tell them the cuba bingo crazies are wondering about them..hope everything is ok...
    The trip might be over soon. He has been riding solo for the past 1.5 days. Interest in completion is fading.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    thanks for the update hope everything is ok and it can be hard on younger riders. if u hear from him let him know or i suppose he can see this on his laptop. weather has been wet and wetter here and around our fellow states. good luck ////....?

HomeBrew Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ARP
    The trip might be over soon. He has been riding solo for the past 1.5 days. Interest in completion is fading.
    We're fine. We had a bad couple of days there. Our resolve has returned with a couple of days off. This rain would not have been fun at all. So the delay has done us good. We're back at it tomorrow morning (Friday, 29 May).