Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

cross country tour timing

745 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  pigpen 
#1 ·
I posted this in my original thread (touring at 63), but no one commented so here's a new thread. In 2013 I plan on touring cross country going East to West (Pennsylvania to Oregon). My plan was to leave in late May or 1st week of June. Some things came up which may delay my departure until July 8 or so. My question for people who have done a cross country tour is whether this is too late to start? Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
Route & daily average?

It really depends on the route. If you are going through Glacier NP then you need to worry about when Logan Pass gets snow. Farther south is better, as is lower altitude, so route choice is important. Also of course you need to determine how long you will take to do the trip. If you average 80 miles per day then no worries. If't it's more like 40 per day, then you could be crunched for weather at the end.

#3 ·
I'm leaving from San Diego April 10th & plan to finish in Delaware. We plan on doing ~ 80-100 miles per day, but we have some rest days built in to the schedule. we should finish sometime in mid to late May. Leaving in April I'm concerned about running into snow in the mountains. Our route takes us directly through the heart of the country, Las Vegas, Denver, St Louis, Cincinnati, D.C.

#5 ·
While backpacking in Glacier I got snowed on September 1st.
My trip made its way down to Yellowstone and Tetons.
In Yellowstone I was able to secure a campsite in the last campground open. Jenny Lake campsite in the Tetons were shut down due to snow. I believe it offically closes the third week of Sept.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.