Riding towards Delmarva.

D.I.Y. folks: how to lengthen the top of an aerobar?...

Since I only frequent this forum and feel this is where the DIYers are...

How can I lengthen the tops of my aerobars to give a little more tube for my hands to hold? I have the aerobars all the way forward, I just need to find a way to lengthen them a little.

I enclosed two photos of the bridge that I made out of pvc (painted black) to hold my MiNewt light for an upcoming 24 hour time trial. You can see the top of the aerobar (white tape). Standard bar plugs fit the ends of the aerobar, so I'm thinking I can somehow take a few bar end plugs and make a sleeve to fit over?

I'm looking for ideas. I need about three or four inches up there. I have some old drop bars and aerobars I can saw off for the additional material, I'm looking for ideas on how to bind the new piece with the existing carbon end of the aerobar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D.I.Y. folks: how to lengthen the top of an aerobar?...-img00053.jpg   D.I.Y. folks: how to lengthen the top of an aerobar?...-img00056.jpg  
    "Anyone can ride fast downhill."
    me

What'd I do?
    Quill stem adapters.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Do it right..

Quote Originally Posted by StageHand
    Quill stem adapters.
    Get some carbon fabric and some epoxy and laminate on some new length. If you want to make it a little easier, cut the proper length from your junkers, cut some 'foam' inner plugs to 'align' the new extension onto the existing bars then wrap the splice in some carbon fabric. If you pre-sand where the extra CF is going, you will avoid having a bump.
    I've fixed 'crushed' carbon bars that way and also revised the top shape of some old carbon bars with an added 'loop' a kinda hand bridge for long enduro TTs...

There are plenty of reference works and carbon/epoxy sources available. It is not some arcane art...it's as simple as fiberglass or body putty....almost.

Riding towards Delmarva.
    I found an old light stand (tripod), which was made of aluminum tubing of different diameter since the stand telescopes within. I inserted a cut piece of the new aluminum pieces into the aerobar, mounting near the bottom by drilling a tiny hole through the aerobar and internal tube, and insterted a tiny screw. On the top I cut a small collar from larger aluminum tubing which matched the aerobar, and slid this small piece over the extended aluminum piece for a perfect match in terms of width. I wrapped the whole thing in bar tape and BOOM rode 310 miles at a 24 hour time trial with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D.I.Y. folks: how to lengthen the top of an aerobar?...-img_3475.jpg   D.I.Y. folks: how to lengthen the top of an aerobar?...-img_3552.jpg  
    "Anyone can ride fast downhill."
    me