RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007

Dinotte Taillight Flies Off My Bike!

I have a Dinotte 300R Tail Light. The light is powerful and I love it, but I have always been suspect of the bracket system that Dinotte designed to mount it on the bike. Over time the fit between the light and the bracket became loose, and was not tight at all. Yesterday on my commute home the $200 light flew off my bike!!! I did not notice it was gone until I got home. (It was on the bike when I left the office, and gone after an 80 minute ride home.)

I am very bummed, as I really liked the output of the light and I liked the built-in battery design.

I am wondering - Has anyone else lost their 300R tail light to a similar casualty?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    My condolences on the loss of an expensive piece of equipment. Losing stuff on the commute is never fun no matter what it is. I probably would've climbed into my car and went searching for that thing. I've had a Dinotte tail light for the past three years but can't say I ever had a problem with the bracket. I always give it a small tug to check but it's never been loose. The silver lining is now you have a good excuse to check out another light like the Princeton Tec Swerve Tail Light. I have this attached to the rear of my helmet and not only is it super bright but the lever to turn it on is exactly what I need when I'm wearing thick gloves.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks.

I did go back out in my car and I re-drove the entire 21 mile ride home - hoping I might see the light laying in the gutter next to the curb. Nothing.......

I am really disappointed in the design of the light and the bracket that held it on. I actually toyed with placing a piece of duct tape on it, but it looked too hokey to have a crappy piece of duct tape on my beautiful bike. I also considered using a small set screw, but I was concerned about penetrating the casing of the light. Now I wish I had done one of these options.

I have been a big fan of Dinotte, but I guess it is time look elsewhere. How does the light level of your Princeton compare with your Dinotte?

Thanks again.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I own a 300R and have been concerned with the reliance on a tiny metal tab latching into a cheap injection-molded plastic mount.

How did you have your mount pointing, up or down? Just curious.

LBS lights are gaining ground lately. My LBS showed me the USB-chargeable Serfas TL-60 recently, which I thought is just getting into the DiNotte-replacement category.
    Last edited by brucew; 11-26-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added bit about Serfas light

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    I had the bracket tab facing up, and my light riding on the top of it. There is no way I would have even tried it the other way.

No Crybabies

fix?

I might try to make a little safety lanyard for mine. If I do, I'll post a pic. Thanks for heads up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    I would strongly encourage you to use their permanent method of attaching it to the bracket. I was not aware that it could be attached permanently and I lost mine, despite exercising great care.

I do love the 300R. I have not seen anything as bright. I have been stopped by motorists and numerous bikers that told me they could not believe how far away they could see the light.

MOUNT YOUR LIGHT USING THE PERMANENT METHOD. If you don't you will end with the same $200 lesson that I got.....