Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Front Rack/Bag vs. Saddle Bag/Support

979 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  buck-50 
#1 ·
I've been knocking around the idea of using a front rack (like the Nitto M12) and bag as opposed to my current setup of a Carradice Nelson with a saddlebag support on my Soma Double Cross. I've been reading quite a bit online but I'd like additional feedback in regards to those that use one. My Nelson is typically filled with a day of clothes and lunch (shoes are kept at work).

Do you find that a bike with a front rack/bag handles better with the weight up front and lower than the saddle bag position?

#2 ·
empty_set said:
I've been knocking around the idea of using a front rack (like the Nitto M12) and bag as opposed to my current setup of a Carradice Nelson with a saddlebag support on my Soma Double Cross. I've been reading quite a bit online but I'd like additional feedback in regards to those that use one. My Nelson is typically filled with a day of clothes and lunch (shoes are kept at work).

Do you find that a bike with a front rack/bag handles better with the weight up front and lower than the saddle bag position?
Most bikes aren't designed for a front load, but for a few pounds I don't think it has a dramatic effect on handling. I use a Berthoud bag on my Bleriot.

#3 ·
My experience is that small loads (say, work clothes and lunch) don't do much to yer handling- it's somewhat noticeable, but you get used to it pretty quick.

Big loads (say a gallon of milk and a bunch of groceries) Really have an impact.

The one thing that really takes some getting used to is how the handlebars flop with a loaded front bag when you're off the bike- you can gain a really nice ding in yer top-tube if you aren't careful...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.