Born from Jorts®

Fun new commuting tactic: Aiming for cars.

This seems to be pretty effective so far: Hear me out -

Riding down any busy street and when approaching an intersection, whether stop lights or side streets there's inevitably going to be the one guy who wants to pull out in front of you even though he sees you coming. Maybe they want to make their right turn just ahead of you, and you see this happening.

Now, instead of braking or swerving left into traffic to avoid them, I aim for the driver door. Make eye contact and head right for 'em. Guaranteed they hit the brakes after realizing they don't know what this "maniac" is going to do. After they stop you just continue on your way along your previous line. Its a small, subtle move but an effective one.

No fingers, no harsh words, no spitting or swearing, just a simple bead on them and everybody's cool

These opinions are solely those of the author and in no way endorsed by RBR, CR, or Invenda, inclusive of all its business units, HTH YMMV.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Sounds interesting. In 6 mo to a year post again & let us know how that's working for you.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Born from Jorts®
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    Sounds interesting. In 6 mo to a year post again & let us know how that's working for you.
    been doing it for months. Worked again tonight riding to the market. Its like brakes remote control.

HTH -

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just yell, really loud. No words, just basically 'Heeeeyyy!" Kind of a roar. I still shock myself sometimes at how loud a sound I can produce. Even with windows up and background noise, they hit the brakes (so far, at least).

Sometimes as I go by, I turn and give them a "What the f_ck, are you blind?" But not so loud.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't get it. Are you saying to play chicken with a 2 ton vehicle? Or just inching ahead to prevent the car from turning right?
    If it's the former, I hereby nominate you for the Darwin Award.

No Crybabies

ya

Quote Originally Posted by |3iker
    I don't get it. Are you saying to play chicken with a 2 ton vehicle? Or just inching ahead to prevent the car from turning right?
    I'd hope that it is a bluff, and there is a bailout plan.

Another option -- since I started running my Dinotte 200L, mounted on my helmet, in flashing mode, drivers behave completely differently. They stop in their tracks a quarter mile away. It's like mind control.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When my fist clenches, crack it open
    Before I use it and lose my cool
    When I smile, tell me some bad news
    Before I laugh and act like a fool

Born from Jorts®
    Quote Originally Posted by |3iker
    the latter. I'm not talking about blazing into an intersection at speed and then planning on them moving "or else". I'm usually going slower, or on brakes. Its just a subtle reminder that I have the right of way as I'm making eye contact and headed right for them. I only do this if they see me and still decide to continue creeping forward.

I think its (brakes) a reaction to "what's this guy gonna do? Hit me?". Again, this happens at LOW speeds.

Sorry to come off all Xtreme Lucas Brunelle. That ain't my style

// Edit: eh, I'll keep my Urban Survival Tactics (USTs) to myself from now on

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    ....// Edit: eh, I'll keep my Urban Survival Tactics (USTs) to myself from now on
    Na, share 'em.

Makes for an interesting discussion and we are all a little wiser for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

Cheese is my copilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    Now, instead of braking or swerving left into traffic to avoid them, I aim for the driver door. Make eye contact and head right for 'em. Guaranteed they hit the brakes after realizing they don't know what this "maniac" is going to do. After they stop you just continue on your way along your previous line. Its a small, subtle move but an effective one.
    I don't aim for the car, but I do hold my line and speed until the last second as if I do own the road, while trying to make eye contact. If they stop I just go on my merry way. If they don't stop I take appropriate evasive action, and holler and otherwise pretend I've just had a close call, which usually freaks them out a little and will hopefully make them look a little harder next time.

I think of it as riding assertively.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    I put a light on my helmet (Fenix LD20) about a year ago, and it has made a huge difference with regard to drivers pulling out from side streets, parking lots, driveways, etc. All I do is look at them, which points the flashlight right at their face, and it stops them dead in the tracks. Works every time. It just takes a quick glance -- I'm not trying to fry their eyeballs, but just make sure they see me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2
    I put a light on my helmet (Fenix LD20) about a year ago, and it has made a huge difference with regard to drivers pulling out from side streets, parking lots, driveways, etc. All I do is look at them, which points the flashlight right at their face, and it stops them dead in the tracks. Works every time. It just takes a quick glance -- I'm not trying to fry their eyeballs, but just make sure they see me.
    I've got a white blinky on the front of the helmet, but only in winter when I'm commuting home in the dark. You're right: it works. You point the light at them, and they stop (so far).

banned from the museum
    Aug 2007
    I discovered something similar a few years ago. If I ride right on the white line, like within 4" or so of the edge of the road, cars will pass me without moving over. If I ride 2' out into the lane, they generally give me the entire lane.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I almost got taken out by a good friend last night. He said my front lighting arrangement made me look like a motorcycle that was plenty far away for someone to pull out. Guess it's time to re-think my lighting somewhat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MX304
    I almost got taken out by a good friend last night. He said my front lighting arrangement made me look like a motorcycle that was plenty far away for someone to pull out. Guess it's time to re-think my lighting somewhat.
    So he thought you were much further away, based on the apparent brightness of your light? And even thinking you were moving at motorcycle speed, he thought there was sufficient space to pull out before you got there? Sounds like you need a lot brighter light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia
    So he thought you were much further away, based on the apparent brightness of your light? And even thinking you were moving at motorcycle speed, he thought there was sufficient space to pull out before you got there? Sounds like you need a lot brighter light.

Exactly. Brighter, and probably flashing, or multiple beam. It scared the crap out of both of us for sure.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    I run a 250 on my helmet and a 250 on my bars. It freaks people out for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MX304
    Exactly. Brighter, and probably flashing, or multiple beam. It scared the crap out of both of us for sure.
    I use a MagicShine on the bar, in rapid-flash "seizure mode" (net output probably 400-500 lumens), and a lower-power LED blinky on the helmet, to point at drivers approaching from the side. Haven't had many of those scary moments since I got that setup for my winter commutes.

Baltic Scum
    Quote Originally Posted by My Own Private Idaho
    I discovered something similar a few years ago. If I ride right on the white line, like within 4" or so of the edge of the road, cars will pass me without moving over. If I ride 2' out into the lane, they generally give me the entire lane.
    If cars have no option but to cross into the oncoming or left lane, they will do so without much complaint. If they think they can pass you without, they will squeeze by.

In my experience, older drivers are another story altogether. They seem to believe that certain death awaits those daring enough to touch that magic yellow line. Beware - they will gleefully mow you down on their way to be first in line for the 4 pm early bird special at the Sizzler...
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

12 strings, no waiting
    I do this with wrong way riders. I don't give an inch. Sometimes I'll look down as if I don't even care that they are there. I haven't met one yet who didn't get the hell out of my way.

Hermia commutes
    I actually find the eye contact extremely effective. I used to do it with drivers when I lived in NYC and walked everywhere. It's an acknowledgment that I know they see me, and they know I know they see me, so they have to stop. I still do it on my bike when I commute that way.

Not a game of chicken, just a way of forcing drivers to acknowledge us. A good one, at that.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by seeborough
    If cars have no option but to cross into the oncoming or left lane, they will do so without much complaint. If they think they can pass you without, they will squeeze by.

In my experience, older drivers are another story altogether. They seem to believe that certain death awaits those daring enough to touch that magic yellow line. Beware - they will gleefully mow you down on their way to be first in line for the 4 pm early bird special at the Sizzler...