Thread: Goggles?

RoadBikeReview Member

Goggles?

Okay....
    This cold wind is just freakin' for the birds.
    20 degrees + 30 mph winds = I'm on Metro.
    But for those days when I decide to ride, I need to protect my eyes. Because it's dark out on both ends of my ride, I need clear lenses in my eye protection. But my sunglasses with clear lenses let in too much cold air, and my eyes dry out and hurt by the end of my commute.

I have a pair of these - but I guess I sweat out my eyeballs when I ride, as whenever I stop, they fog up (and the fog freezes), even with copious amounts of Cat Crap slathered on the lenses. It makes them useless. Propping them up onto my forehead at lights doesn't seem to help - and if fact sometimes makes it worse.

How good would MX goggles be? How are they for peripheral vision? Do they tend to fog? Can you wear these okay with a standard bike helmet?

banned
    It only takes a couple cold rides before your eyes acclimate. No glasses/goggles worked for me down to about 5 below (at which point I stop riding)

Best option I ever found was cheap clear safety glasses from the hardware store- the kind that look like budget oakleys. 9 bucks so it's no great loss when you get pissed that they've fogged up again and you toss them in an intersection.

But then, I'm a total cheapskate when it comes to this sort of thing.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I've worn prescription glasses all my life, and I've never worn goggles.

Yes, my glasses fog up at stoplights, but since they're not sealed to my sweating head, I just turn my head to the side to let the wind behind them, and they clear right up, usually just past the crosswalk on the other side.

Near as I can figure, for any sort of goggles to not fog, they need insulated double-lenses--like thermopane windows in your house. Any sort of single lens will fog.

Low rep power
    From my post of the other day: link