RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

I almost got to perform a buttectomy

Some friends and I headed out to the Lake Okeechobee Scenic Trail (FL) Sunday night for a full moon ride.

One of the guys, a bent rider, thought it would be fun to take his folding bike to see if it was suitable for a longer ride. The bike might have been, but his hindquarters weren't. I thought I was going to have to preform a buttectomy on the side of the trail.

Here's more info on the LOST.

The local Rotary Club is sponsoring a charity ride there on March 28.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    The trail looks really cool. Does it go all the way around the lake?

In 1983 a bunch of us rode from the campground in Pahokee around the lake clockwise to Okeechobee and Fat Johnny's Buffet. After lunch we rode slowly bake to the campground. It was my first ride over 100 miles.
    We have nothing to lube but our chains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    The trail is paved from Port Mayaca on the east side of the lake to Okeetanta, which is northwest of Okeechobee. It picks up in Moore Haven on the southwest side of the lake and continues to Pahokee.

You can ride from Okeetanta to Moore Haven on 78, which has been paved in the past few years and has wide shoulders. Traffic is fast, but light, and most folks give you plenty of room. The stretch from Pahokee to Port Mayaca used to be really bad, but it's been recently repaved and has rideable shoulders.

It's a good ride.