RoadBikeReview Member

Klondike Highway - Yukon fall

It's been awhile! I put about 1600 km on my road bike in April and May, but once the trails cleared up there have been very few rides as I stick to mountain biking.

I woke up Saturday morning and saw a calm, sunny fall day and decided it was a day for riding the roads. In fact, it turned out to be just about perfect!

I had a lazy morning breakfast and coffee with my wife, who had just returned from running 26 km in the Trail of 98 road relay. I didn't get going until after 10:30.

I had decided that I was going to ride to Braeburn Lodge, about 110 km from my house via the Alaska and North Klondike highways. The ride has some flat sections but is 80% rolling terrain with some decent climbs thrown in there. The first 40 km or so have nice pavement but the rest is some pretty harsh chipseal.

The winds were calm to light at my back. The air was crisp and the fall colours were amazing. I was really feeling good, rolling the big ring all the time and not wanting to stop for any reason -- pictures, food, water... I was half way there before I finally pulled off to jam down some Clif blocks. There was also very little traffic. Hmmm, tailwind, cool temps, no traffic, nice scenery... Pretty much as good as it gets.

I made really good time, pulling in to Braeburn in about 3:45. I went in and ordered their Salsa burger, shown in the pics. Yes, it really is the size of a dinner plate! Homemade patty and fresh-baked bread. Mmmmm..... This is a must-stop if you ever travel this road, they are well-known for their enormous cinnamon buns.

I was slow getting started back, with a belly full of food, but soon got rolling again. The headwind was light so I found it didn't hold me back much. I took more photos on the way back, although most of them while I was riding as I really didn't want to stop pedaling. My legs were good but I was getting a little beat up in the arms from the rough chipseal and bumps in the road. Glad I was running 35 mm tires!

Getting close to town, around 25 km left I started to feel some hurt in the legs, but I kept turning the pedals over and soon enough was home.

In the end, it was 8 hours of riding for 220 km, plus a 1/2 hour stop to eat. The winds were not a huge factor, as I averaged just under 30 km/h on the way out and a bit less than 26 on the way back. Tired legs slowed me down some on the return trip as well.

Anyways, enough of my blather, here are some photos....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Klondike Highway - Yukon fall-p9060001.jpg   Klondike Highway - Yukon fall-p9060002.jpg   Klondike Highway - Yukon fall-p9060005.jpg   Klondike Highway - Yukon fall-p9060008.jpg   Klondike Highway - Yukon fall-p9060011.jpg  

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Stunning pictures....I love the last pic....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

duh...
    spectacular

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    That first pic rocks my world!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member

I've got to make it up there

one day. A friend of mine rode the Dempster Highway (by herself, she is a little whacked). Stunning photos.
    As I grow older I will remember the first light on the water, my will to win, the strength of my arms and the power of the crew.

toomanybikes
    Stunning.

I love it up there. I have been many times, never with a bike.

I need to correct that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey, thanks all for comments.

We do have some great road rides up here, the downside is there are relatively few roads so if you are riding a lot you can get bored quickly. This year, I found that concentrating the road biking in the spring/fall has kept everything pretty fresh for me.

The Dempster is definitely on my list of rides, some day. I actually have a friend who should have just finished the trip this weekend, if all went to plan.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Awesome ride and photos Anthony!

I wanted to get up there for some fall road riding from Skagway up and over White Pass to Carcross or possibly even Whitehorse, this weekend or next. The ferry schedule sucks! I don't think I can make it happen, but I continue to dig for possibilities.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Awesome pictures. I love Alaska. Take going to Alaska any day over Hawaii. Love the drive from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

Ray Still

bike bike bike bike
    having ridden up there, i think it's safe to say that the pictures don't capture just how bright, colorful, and lively the landscape is. what a fantastic place to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneauJill
    I wanted to get up there for some fall road riding from Skagway up and over White Pass to Carcross or possibly even Whitehorse, this weekend or next. The ferry schedule sucks! I don't think I can make it happen, but I continue to dig for possibilities.
    If something pans out, let us know what your plans are. I've got the bug to get out on my road bike again before the snow flies.

How many of those mooseburgers....

... does it take to fuel an 8-hour ride?

Man, that's some gorgeous countryside.

And autumn colors ... I could go for some of that. We are still hitting 90-degree-plus!

And that helmet ...

... is it Canadian army issue?

Looks serious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beautiful pictures....really brings back images from the trip me and my family did last year. We took the ferry from Washington up to Haines then drove back to California over 6 weeks - camping and stopping on whatever was the whim of the day. I could picture myself riding my bike on all those beautiful highways in Alaska and Canada.

So...how do I become a Canadian citizen so I can move up to Whitehorse?

RoadBikeReview Member
    S.A.S: Hehe... The helmet is a Bell Faction. I much prefer the skateboard-style helmets for cycling, as I have big head and the road-racer type helmets look stupid on me.

C-Dawg: It looks great now (Fall started a couple of weeks ago) but when it hits 30 below you might reconsider moving here, it's not for everyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    C-Dawg: It looks great now (Fall started a couple of weeks ago) but when it hits 30 below you might reconsider moving here, it's not for everyone.

Well I'm not a California native and I grew up in the Northeast including 8 years in Burlington VT (I miss the fall) so I think I could adjust......although I do admit I am totally Californiacized after living here for 10 years so it would be a bit tough

That is some beautiful country up there and I will be back to visit.

CD