RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Kona Sutra Build!

I recently purchased an NOS 2007 Kona Sutra frame, the one with sliding dropouts, for use as a touring bike. It is green with metal flake and a solid black fork. Now I'm considering the build. In an ideal world it would be a Rohloff bike with disc brakes, but that is a little expensive right now.

What I have:
    Frame + Fork
    10x3 105 STI's, new take-offs
    XT rear derailleur
    Various Cranks
    Saddles
    Bars

What I know I want:
    Chris King headset
    Brakes - Avid BB7 Road

What I still need to figure out:
    Wheels - I'm thinking XT hubs laced to Mavic rims, but I'm not sure yet. They need to be disc.

I'm not sure about the 10spd levers and the largest cassette I could buy is a 27 tooth for Shimano 10 speed. I could run this with a mountain crankset and get a low enough gear.

What would you put on this machine to tour across the country? My goal is to spend less then $1000 total on the parts.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott B
    What would you put on this machine to tour across the country? My goal is to spend less then $1000 total on the parts.
    Cantilever brakes, Bar end shifters.

Sell the STi shifters, buy good racks and well made bags.

But that's what I would do...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    Cantilever brakes, Bar end shifters.

Sell the STi shifters, buy good racks and well made bags.

But that's what I would do...
    You've got a point, I already have a good rear rack and a set of Ortlieb bags. I'm planning on getting a set of front rollers and a jandd or surly rack.

I still might ditch the STI's or trade them for 9x3 stuff. Then I could rock a mountain cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    www.velo-orange.com

Has some nice stuff (friction shifters, long reach tektros, affordable leather saddles, nice control bits)...and I was impressed with their communication and shipping.

NFI

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Spec'ing it out like a Long Haul Trucker couldn't hurt.

Maybe some upgrades like Nitto bars and the better headsets, but they pretty much nail it on a touring set-up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    SB, I just bought an 09' frameset (for those that need to know 60cm frame alone no fork weighs 6.07 lbs.) and I am going to use cantilevers and I found this on Ebay from the U.K.: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=310100547290. Kona told me to use a fork cable hanger which the one I have isn't going to slide on without some muscle or prying to be done. The part from ebay was a size 1.25 though it has a lip which allows it to tighten on the seat tube. Good luck on the build!