RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005

Light for night riding- Dinotte 600L or 200L dual

Have a question about lights for riding at night or early morning. I'm not sure what would be better, a single 600L light, mounted on the handlebars, or dual 200L with one handlebar mounted and the other helmet mounted. This would be for road riding, but with not too much traffic, but some of the areas have no lighting.

zpl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    I'd personally recommend the handlebar and helmet 200L duo. It will give you the most flexible setup. Helmet mounted lights are also handy should you have to change a flat or get a vehicle's license plate number.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've ridden everything from a 200L on the handlebars to a 200L helmet light with a 600L on the handlebars.

I would highly recommend the 2 200L setup you described over just the 600L. This probably sounds suprising, but it's what I found on my bike with these lights - neither the 600L or the 200L, when mounted on the handlebars, put light out far enough ahead of you to to be able to do full road bike speeds at night. I mean they're ok - I rode with just a handlebar 200L for several weeks, I just had to slow down a little. But they just don't reach far enough to to 19mph down the road without feeling a little jumpy about what might be just beyond the range of the light (in my opinion, of course).

I actually bought the 600L thinking it would light up farther down the road, but it doesn't - it lights up the road better, and wider, but only a smidgen farther.

HOWEVER, when you put the 200L (probably true of the 600L, just haven't tried it) on your helmet, THEN it puts out light far enough down the road (though it leaves the area immediately in front of your bike unlit). It's something about the height and angle of the light, and I'm sure other lights would do exactly the same thing.

So I'd recommend the 2 200L setup over just the 600L because having a helmet mounted light lets you see farther down the road.

P.S. I guess I should add that the disadvantage of the helmet mounted light is that it always points where you look, so if you look behind you you're shining the light into motorists eyes, which is obviously bad. I tend to turn my helmet light on and off during the ride depending on if I'm on lighted city streets or not.

..on the other hand, the 600L does a much better job of lighting up the street in those gaps between street lights. On completely unlit stretches your eyes adjust to the dark and the 200L is fine, but when there's more light the 200L gets a little washed out.

Darn it, and here I thought I had a straightforward answer for you!

fyi, if you buy combos from their website it's way cheaper than buying individually. Like the 600L with the 200L headlamp is "just" $100 more than just the 600L:
    http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...S=dinotte&All=

If you're doing road riding, their tail light is pretty !#! bright, to:
    http://store.dinottelighting.com/sha...S=dinotte&All=

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/imag...IL_2_large.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm commuting with a 160L Danolite on the helmet and just a flasher on the bars. The 160L is barely adequate but it does the job. I'd go with the dual setup or just one on the helmet.

I think the 600L is overkill for most road riding. I have used a NR HID light in the past. I choose not to use it on the road. The 160L is enough and has some perks (easier re-charge, lighter, smaller, etc)
    Pain is weakness leaving the body!!!
    Work to Eat / Eat to Live / Live to Ride / Ride to Work

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I use the 200L dual. Love it. Having a light on the bars and helmet elliminates shadows. Most of my commute is on a rural rail trail. The lights are so bright, I have to turn them down when I'm on the road. I get flashed from cars quite a bit. Great customer service.

MTBR Member
    I went with the 200L dual over the 600L. this was largely due to me wanting a light helmet light for MTB use. 1 200L alone, is not great, but two is quite a bit better. you can run both on the bars (one aimed closer, one farther) or one on helmet and one on bar. run times are great for the lithium setups.

Knives, Guns, and Booze
    Bend over and pay the man. Your money is going straight to China.

zpl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    Bend over and pay the man. Your money is going straight to China.
    They most likely buy their parts from Asia, but I can tell you that DiNotte assembles their lights about an hour away from me in Hampton, NH. I think they're a pretty cool small business to support.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    One additional question. I think I will go with the Dual 200L setup, but am wondering whether I would be able to carry the 4-cell battery in a jersey pocket using the extension cable (i.e. get the dual 200L setup with two 4-cell batteries), or should just get one 4-cell and one 2-cell batteries and use the 2-cell for the helmet mounted light? And thanks for all the replies.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorcatronik
    One additional question. I think I will go with the Dual 200L setup, but am wondering whether I would be able to carry the 4-cell battery in a jersey pocket using the extension cable (i.e. get the dual 200L setup with two 4-cell batteries), or should just get one 4-cell and one 2-cell batteries and use the 2-cell for the helmet mounted light? And thanks for all the replies.
    my 4 cell reaches to, and fits in my jersey pocket just fine with the included extension cable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorcatronik
    I'll say that I find the 4 cell battery rather huge (I think it's a little shorter but a little wider than a soda can), so I would wonder if the size and weight would make it uncomfortable to wear in a jersey pocket. Plus the 200L runs for 4 hours on high on the 2 cell battery:
    http://www.dinottelighting.com/Products.htm

If you'll be riding on roads you might consider their 140L taillight, to. That thing really lights up behind you. I just used the splitter cable + the extension cable to run my front light and my tail light off the 4 cell battery in the front so I didn't have to mess around with charging another battery.

RoadBikeReview Member
    P.S. I found a pic showing the 2 batteries side by side, though it's still a little difficult to see how big they are except relative to each other:
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/files/2007/12/img_2029.jpg

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulRivers
    I'll say that I find the 4 cell battery rather huge (I think it's a little shorter but a little wider than a soda can), so I would wonder if the size and weight would make it uncomfortable to wear in a jersey pocket
    I'll just add that the lithium batteries are a lot lighter than i expected them to be. Much lower weight than the NiMH and NiCad battery packs of the same size.

You still have a valid point though, that maybe the 4 cell has more run time than some users might need.