Unlabeled

McDowell Mountain Regional Park

I was fortunate to have some free time during a business trip to Tempe, Arizona. Instead of renting a road bike like I frequently do, I rented a Giant Talon front suspension 29er and headed to McDowell Mountain Regional Park, where there are about 40 miles of trails. Since I never got air, my ride was touring, not Mountain Biking, so here are the pics. First time I've used hydraulic brakes--really nice.

Camera was a Christmas present. Pentax K30 DSLR with an old Pentax SMC 28 mm f 2.8 prime lens. The camera has stabilization at the sensor, so all of the old legacy lenses can be used with stabilization.

Most of my riding was on the Pemberton trail, Scenic trail, with a few miles on pavement with the shocks locked out. I did have to pick some cactus needles out of various parts of my anatomy, but I had a great time.

I may need to upgrade my old mountain bike....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails McDowell Mountain Regional Park-arizona-trail-3-c.jpg   McDowell Mountain Regional Park-arizona-tree-1c.jpg   McDowell Mountain Regional Park-arizona-cactus-mountains-2-c.jpg   McDowell Mountain Regional Park-arizona-cactus-c.jpg   McDowell Mountain Regional Park-arizona-trails-2c.jpg  

McDowell Mountain Regional Park-arizona-cactus-mountainsc.jpg   McDowell Mountain Regional Park-arizona-prickly-1-c.jpg   McDowell Mountain Regional Park-arizona-tree-bw-c.jpg  
    Last edited by Reynolds531; 01-27-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Lugged Steel Treks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool place. Raced Cactus cup there in '98 I think

Who needs a map?
    That is beautiful country in a "don't get stranded" sort of way. Are those cholla cacti? Never heard of them before the other day when I caught this show on TV - talk about a brutal plant!

"If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

Unlabeled
    Quote Originally Posted by nonsleepingjon View Post
    Are those cholla cacti?
    Yea, I wish that I had the presence of mind to snap a picture of the back of my hand and forearm after I brushed against one.
    Lugged Steel Treks

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I ride there frequently, love the trails in that park.

Avid indoorsman
    I have to live with this in my backyard here in Scottsdale...
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
    -- Groucho Marx