Thread: MiNewt X2 ?'s

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

MiNewt X2 ?'s

Has anyone had any trouble with the main LED burning out on their MiNewt X2 (or any other LED for that matter)? On my commute home yesterday (in a very hard rain mind you) my 2 week old MiNewt failed on me. This makes a good reminder to all to have a backup light. Has anyone had experience with premature failure on their light?

now in philadelphia
    Nov 2007
    I have not has any issues with my X2 dual. Sorry - perhaps you could look into warranty claims?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Actually I had something very similar happen to me. My 2-3 week old Dinotte 200L got a bit of water inside and stopped working. I emailed Dinotte and they mailed out a replacement unit the next day (thank you Dinotte for the awesome customer service). The 200L has a little rubber seal between the lens and the light body that should keep any moisture out and for whatever reason it wasn't working. I'm sure the MiNewt has something similar. Try emailing MiNewt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Mine got rained on the first week I had it, and NiteRider warranty'd it for me.
    Since then, on wet days, I have wrapped it in a ziploc sandwich bag before mounting it on my stem.
    I run the cord out the open end of the bag, and zip it shut as much as possible, and cut two slits in the side of the bag to run the velcro straps through. No issues since.

Not crazy about the battery life though. My X2 Dual says 1:45 on high and 3:30 on low, though I struggle to get much more than 2:00 on low...

Born from Jorts®

Question

I'm fixin' to pull the trigger on a MiNewt X2

but wait, is it not all that great? Not waterproof?

I'll hold off if its disappointing...

now in philadelphia
    Nov 2007
    The battery life leaves something to be desired but it's pretty damn bright. I like it generally.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I've been happy with mine the few times that I have been able to use it until it died the other day. I'll look into the warranty replacement on it and see what NiteRider says. I bought mine at an amazing deal so that's buffering the anger toward the issue. Granted it doesn't rain that much here in CA, but I don't think that I shouldn't be able to use it on rainy rides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    I've ridden with my original MiNewt in the rain dozens of times in the last year, and I've never had any problems.
    “Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” - H.G. Wells

RoadBikeReview Member

X2 experience

I like the size, I like the brightness, but the battery time really is disappointing. Their claim time of 1:45 on high and 3:30 on low is a pipe dream at best. You get about an hour and a change on high. No problems in the rain and snow as of yet.

The other thing I dislike is the rubber band the holds the light unit to the handlebars. It can be tough to put on especially when your hands are cold, and dexterity is at a premium.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I've noticed that the battery life is a little lacking. I wasn't sure if I had received a defective unit or that it was a false claim.